INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to see music files directly on the hard disk ?  (Read 2073 times)

Chris

Is it possible to see music files directly on the hard disk ?, without importing them everytime. I can do this with Siren Jukebox (which unfortunately is no longer made) & was an EXCELLENT program.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Is it possible to see music files directly on the hard disk ?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 04:29:02 am »

Not sure what you mean.  If you tell MJ to be associated with MP3, WMA, and so on, these files will have an MJ icon when you see them in Windows Explorer.

However, RealOne keeps stealing file types without asking.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

ZRocker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 05:12:50 am »

No...MJ does NOT have a feature where you can just browse and play files like you were using Windows Explorer.  You can browse with Windows Explorer and Add or Import them into MJ (via right-click menu options in Windows Explorer).  I believe there is a wish list item for this type of feature for MJ.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 06:41:06 am »

Zrocker,
What about the "Location" option under Media Library?  How do you want it to be different?

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

ZRocker

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 07:03:32 am »

JimH,

We DO NOT want to have to IMPORT everything into MJ first...that's how it's different...if it ain't imported, MJ can't browse/search on it.  We are talking about a straight Windows Explorer type browse (within MJ).  Ideally, with this type of feature, you could browse your hard drive from within MJ and see the file specifics (tag info, etc) w/o having to import into MJ first.  Sure, it'll be somewhat slow each time you browse a folder (to get the files' info), but it would be a great feature to have (for those who really want it).

Chris

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2002, 01:22:09 am »

Thanks for your feedback gentlemen.

Ideally MJ should have the option to browse files directly on the hard disk - once you have used it, you realise how cumbersome importing really is.

I am not going to bother changing programs from Siren Jukebox till MJ does incorporate this feature.

Otherwise, MJ seems a very good alternative for the future.

Nice interface & slick program though.

Lucy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 06:40:07 am »

Hey everybody, I read this topic and was curious about the Siren Jukebox. So I searched about it and found a screenshot on the internet:

Of course, I am NOT advertising for them.  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2002, 07:06:28 am »

A little bird told me explorer-like functionality may be in version 9...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2002, 06:01:25 pm »

OK, I'm gonna put my 2 cents in here.  I like the fact that you have to import files.  Sometimes I download a song just to see if I like the music.  Lately (MJ8.0.329), when I play such a song from Windows Explorer, I later find it listed in Media Library--even if I didn't like it and deleted it (from within Windows Explorer).  I hate this.  I realize I could delete from within MJ, but I don't want MJ to replace WE, I want it to be my jukebox program for organizing the files that I like and want to keep.

Maybe there's a setting somewhere to turn this off?

Scronch

shelly

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2002, 06:26:26 pm »

Scronch,

Look at Options - General - Importing and Tagging.  Uncheck "Automatically import files..."

Shelly

Scronch

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2002, 06:32:17 pm »

Thank you.  I think that's it.  Why did this get checked when all I've done is install updates?

Scronch

Marcel Vogel

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2002, 12:28:39 pm »

I really hope this will be in version 9, I really want this feature.

Chris

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2002, 11:02:47 pm »

Nice image of siren, but how did you get it into the message ?

Anyway, you see the EXPLORE FILES tab in the screenshot posted - brilliant ! . And if you don't want this feature, don't click on it - just use the MEDIA LIBRARY tab. Simple.

I hope MJ are reading & ingesting these comments.

In the meantime, SIREN continues to work IMPECCABLY !!!

cjdshaw

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2002, 05:55:10 am »

To insert an image, click ADD IMAGE to the right of the text pane. Then replace URL TO IMAGE with the image location.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2002, 09:36:38 am »

I downloaded and installed Siren Jukebox.  Since I've tried so many other jukeboxes, I just had to see if this was special in any way.

First, Siren took over the mp3 file type during installation without asking - which is unacceptable.

I think the "Explore Files" feature that Chris likes is useful only if your music is organized into a hierarchy of artist/album folders; or if you want to listen to a small number of music files before importing them.  I have many folders each with about 1000 unorganized songs.  All my organization is in the tags and MJ, and I like it that way.

By default, any music you record in Siren will be encoded so that it can only play on your PC.  "This protects your music from unauthorized use."  The setting can be changed though.

In terms of other features, Siren Jukebox is pretty weak.

I found a few things that I did like:
1. Locate Playing Song.  There are times when that would come in handy.

2. They have a great user interface for creating view schemes.  You identify fields with which to Sort, Group, and Filter by clicking and dragging field headings.  J River Team:  This is worth taking a look!   Thanks.  :)

3.  Their look and feel is light, clean, and easy to read.  They use different font sizes and big tabs...

There is also a feature called "Time Stretch" with which you can speed up or slow down a song by a speficied percent.  I can't think of any reason I would want that, but I'm sure someone out there would find that useful.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2002, 10:00:35 am »

To insert an image, click ADD IMAGE to the right of the text pane. Then replace URL TO IMAGE with the image location.

There's a slightly better way to do that that is a little less awkward:
Paste the URL first, highlite it and click "Add Image"
It works likewise for the other commands except "Add Emoticon".
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up