INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Keyboard Trouble  (Read 6495 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Wireless Keyboard Trouble
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:52:57 pm »

I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse combo in two specific media areas, which means that they need to work from 5 - 20' away.  My complaint is that no matter what I do, the receiver has to be within 5' or less and positioned just right vertically.  They are all logitech combo devices.  Worse yet, my oldest keyboard took 4 AA batteries while all the new ones take 2.  The new ones have noticeably decreased range.

In the theater I have to have the receiver out fully extended from the computer to reach from the front row--basically 5' away.  What is the answer to the horrendous range problem?

raym

• MC Beta Team
Re: Wireless Keyboard Trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »

What is the answer to the horrendous range problem?

A wired keyboard/mouse combo  ;D
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:31 pm »

I've similar issues with an MS keyboard.
It's so bad that to keep the thing working I have a USB extension cable which brings the dongle very close to the wireless desktop, otherwise i get drop outs and loose characters.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:26 pm »

It's so bad that to keep the thing working I have a USB extension cable which brings the dongle very close to the wireless desktop, otherwise i get drop outs and loose characters.
Ditto here with Logitech combo.

Also notice sluggish keyboard & mouse when I push big files through my wireless network (transmitter below my desk).

My next keyboard will be wired.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

You might consider getting a long USB extension cable and hanging the dongle from the ceiling above where you sit. I'll bet that solves your problem.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:27:11 am »

On my desktop machines, I have no problems at all.  They always work very well.  The problem is when I start stepping back 10 feet for a 10-foot interface area.  I am not going with a wired keyboard for obvious reasons.

There has got to be a high powered, long range system available, that perhaps takes 8 AA batteries.  The more voltage, the more power it has available to send a long range signal.  Just like my R/C car which takes 8 batteries.  No wonder it can go as far as I can see without a single problem.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:18:28 pm »

i just bought a new wireless keyboard mouse comby. although it had the same specifications as far as distance, as my previous one, i have no problems yet. where my previous one at about 5 meter with the screen between the sender and the reciever started to miss keys. the new has works flawlessly. 4 batteries in both. my new one is a keystone mini keyboard.
dont think the numbers at the right are like a remote. thay send out the same signal as the 1 and 2 of the maine keyboard. not mend as a commercial. dont know if i can recommend it.

:)
gab

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:41:02 pm »

Widen your thinking a bit.

A problem with cheap consumer-grade wireless is that they are all clustered in the 2.1Gz and 2.4Gz frequency ranges.  Add a busy microwave oven, cordless home phones and a few cell phones that have bluetooth and your range/reliability drops to near-zero.  Buy new home cordless phones that use the DECT 1.9/2.1 Gz ranges to reduce interference.  Back off the transmitted power of any home wireless networking access points to the bare minimum needed to get the job done.  Things like this help.

But do you really need a full keyboard/mouse (need <> want) or do you need some kind of HID that can accept alpha-numeric input and move around a web page?

How about running something like a Nokia 810 and RDP into your HTPC and/or GirderIR into your components?

If you open the door to something like this, you'll have no trouble finding new and slightly-used devices to get the job done.

And remember that wireless is part of the newly ratified USB v3 specification.  Chipsets are starting to pop up and actual end-user devices should follow shortly.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 04:11:53 pm »

I was under the impression that wireless USB and USB 3 were still quite seperate.
USB 3 primarilly aimed at getting much faster transfers through.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:37:56 pm »

I'm sure products will have to pick one or the other or both.  Wireless devices would obviously not have the benefit of power.  Until inductive charging pads are prevalent.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »

What about a bluetooth mouse/keyboard?

Richard

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »

Bluetooth runs in the same general freq range as wireless networking and microwave ovens.

An additional hassle with Bluetooth is the mix of 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.0 EDR devices.  If there is any kind of mis-match, ALL of the Bluetooth devices will drop back to the lowest common denominator, v1.1.  This is a very low power/short range/slow data rate network.  The only way to get the error correction and range of v2.0 EDR is to make damned sure that your BT dongle/adapter and remote devices as well as their software drivers are set to run at 2.0 EDR exclusivly.

As far as a keyboard/mouse combo goes, the best bet is to find something that uses the old 27/45 Mz freq range and avoid 'modern' devices completely.  The downside of 27/45 is vastly lessened battery life and a lack of encryption and error correction.  Not that mouse clicks need to be encrypted but it's pretty trivial to derive keystrokes from an unencrypted wireless keyboard.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:28 pm »

FWIW, I'm using a Logitech diNovo mini (BT) keyboard, which reaches at least 20' without dramas. The ONLY problem with this KB is the funky mouse pad, which is a bit hit and miss in terms of functionality.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:06:05 pm »

My Microsoft Bluetooth Wireless Desktop 3000 works great on my HTPC.  No issues at all.  The receiver is well across the room.

Always had trouble with all of them that I've used for years and years.  Once, long, long ago I had a logitech "trackball" RF remote that worked well, but nothing since then.  All up until this Microsoft Bluetooth set.  It works from the kitchen through walls, I've even used the keyboard outside the house (though exterior walls).  It is equal in reception to my Snapstream Firefly RF remote (which is very good).

Even nicer... The battery life on this thing is astounding.  The keyboard takes two AA batteries, and is very lightweight and compact.  I use two of those rechargeable Duracells (or maybe Energizers, I have both) you can buy all over the place now.  They generally work for around two months before they need charging.  I just have a zip-lock I keep of charged batteries in my coffee table drawer.  When I swap batteries, I throw the discharged ones directly into the charger.  They hold their charge fine for a few months.

The mouse comes with it's own set of these same types of commodity rechargeables.  It also comes with it's own little "recharging dock" pad-like thing.  It works great.  The mouse will start occasionally pulsing a red light when it is low (maybe happens once every two-three weeks) of moderate HTPC use.  I just throw it on it's charger overnight when this happens (not all the time when not in use, always a bad idea for rechargeables) and it'll be fine in the morning for another two-to-three weeks or so.

The only thing I don't like about it is the stupid, weird Function-Keys.  They are these weird "touch sensitive" bumps (not pressure sensitive, they seem capacitive almost).  They stink for gaming, but wireless keyboards are never good for gaming (though otherwise, this one would probably work okay -- the mouse does).  I use my Belkin Nostromo for FPS's anyway, so that doesn't matter to me.  I wish they would make this exact keyboard, with a slightly more standard layout (put the Windows button back where it goes, thanks), and normal F-Keys.  I don't really mind that it is missing it's Number-Pad, for a HTPC keyboard.  I thought I would hate that, but I ended up not caring at all.  It is like a laptop keyboard.  And I'm used to the weird F-Keys now, so they're not that bad, just annoying that they did it purely for the "cool" factor (at the expense of usability).

All-in-all, I've been VERY happy.  It was expensive, but worth every penny.  Best Wireless Keyboard Purchase Ever (and I've probably owned 10 sets in all over the years).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HiFiTubes

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:19:03 pm »

Have you played around with aligning the vertical orientation?

Align the height of the usb dongle to where your keyboard/mouse are, if possible.

I had a logitech mediaplay mouse that I could use in other rooms but only if turned sideways and pushed up against a wall........... ?

benn600

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 12:47:30 am »

Am using the nMediaPc or whatever the brand is.  It works fairly well if vertical height is carefully monitored.  It is overall a nice, clean unit (big requirement) with built in optical trackball.
Pages: [1]   Go Up