INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Transfer Mode  (Read 4236 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Media Transfer Mode
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:48:09 am »

Sync bugs:
  • When connecting a device (in this case, a Sony Ericsson W715) as other than Mass storage mode (detected as an usb stick basically), I get no playlist options in sync (see pic). I also attached picture how the device looks like in Explorer. Also, the playlists created are in zero byte .apl files
  • In other modes than Mass Storage mode, the existing files are deleted (if the delete-from-handheld setting is on), even though they show up in sync details as "On device" and they exist in the playlists you sync
  • If connecting the phone in mass storage mode, MC doesn't find the device until you close and restart MC.
  • If connecting the phone in mass storage mode, the settings are reset for each connect
The other transfer modes on the phone are "Phone mode" and "media transfer". I've seen you guys talk about MTS and such, but I don't know what that really means.

Marty3d

Media Transfer Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:37 am »

Another sync bug when not using mass storage option: Whatever you set the paths to in sync options, files from other directories on the device is shown in the sync list (and some deleted as well, I don't know which....since they are deleted now!). This is not the way it works when in Mass storage mode. Then only files in the specified paths are shown and managed by MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Transfer Mode
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:13 pm »

Those aren't bugs.  They're features of the device.  The media transfer mode is probably Microsoft MTP.  Try a google search.

Try setting it up as USB Mass Storage.  You can change file locations in MC transfer options for the device.

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 03:08:58 pm »

Sorry Jim, I don't understand. Can you elaborate on why they aren't bugs, please? And what do you mean by features of the device? Do you say that MC can't handle these devices properly?

What I found was the following list of device makers that make use of MTP (from wikipedia):
    * Archos newer devices
    * BlackBerry 9500 series
    * Canon 400D (XTi) digital SLR
    * Creative Technology Zen line — some devices only
    * Cowon newer devices, e.g., iAudio (Cowon) D2
    * Intel portable media center
    * iriver H10 and other newer devices
    * JVC media players
    * Meizu M series
    * Microsoft Zune modified to "MTPZ"
    * Motorola mobile phones
    * Nikon D40/D40x, D80, D300, D700, D2Xs/D2Hs, D3 and newer Coolpix compact cameras
    * Nokia mobile devices
    * Palm mobile phones (PocketTunes media player supports MTP file transfers)
    * Philips GoGear line
    * Samsung Electronics Yepp line and Juke cellular phone/music player
    * Sanyo Xacti CG65
    * SanDisk Sansa devices
    * Sony Ericsson mobile phones
    * Some of Sony's MP3-Player, i.e., NWZ-A8xx, NWZ-E436F series
    * Certain Sony Cyber-shot DSC camera models
    * Latest Sony Drag&Drop Music Players
    * Toshiba Gigabeat line
    * TrekStor vibez
    * Harman Kardon GPS810

Many questions in one post, sorry about that! :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:15:39 pm »

MTP is used primarily for Microsoft DRM content.  It has no advantage, and some significant disadvantages, for other than MS DRM content.

I can't begin to provide you the details.  Don't use it unless you have a music subscription account that uses DRM or you purchase content protected by DRM.

Marty3d

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:27:00 pm »

Well... But in this case (can't speak for others, but I guess alot of users have devices like this), it COULD mean that I didn't have to:
1. reboot my phone just to sync music, then reboot again to get to phone mode
2. restart MC so it could find my phone
3. cry because MC won't make my life easier :)

Is there implications for you to make MTP transfers work as for syncing with usb sticks (aka remove the strangeness mentioned earlier)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 05:59:32 pm »

Well... But in this case (can't speak for others, but I guess alot of users have devices like this), it COULD mean that I didn't have to:
1. reboot my phone just to sync music, then reboot again to get to phone mode
2. restart MC so it could find my phone
3. cry because MC won't make my life easier :)

Is there implications for you to make MTP transfers work as for syncing with usb sticks (aka remove the strangeness mentioned earlier)?
MTP will work, but we have no ability to change it in any way.  It is Microsoft's protocol, and you will have to live with the defects.

Use the USB mass storage mode.

Marty3d

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:01:49 am »

• If connecting the phone in mass storage mode, MC doesn't find the device until you close and restart MC.
Ok, but when I use USB Mass storage mode, this shouldn't be necessary anyway? Clicking on sync handheld directly shows a dialog about no handheld, without scanning or anything. Only happens when MC is running while the device is connected (which it always is, since MC is running 24/7)

Pages: [1]   Go Up