INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google OS  (Read 2015 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Google OS
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:24:21 am »

Dirhael

• World Citizen
Re: Google OS
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 05:52:46 am »

I don't really care what Google wants people to believe, it's still Linux. This more a case of Google making their own distro with a new DE rather than a completely new OS. Also, this part...
For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies.
...doesn't really bode well for getting applications such as MC ported anytime soon.
:: My J​RMC history :: 13>14>15> 16>17>18>19>20>21>23>24>25>26>27>28>29>30>31

johnnyboy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:03:57 am »

I don't really care what Google wants people to believe, it's still Linux. This more a case of Google making their own distro with a new DE rather than a completely new OS. Also, this part......doesn't really bode well for getting applications such as MC ported anytime soon.

No, but get some tablets running this OS and MC with a nice Web interface and you'd have some pretty sweet remotes!
Instant boot up control of your music!

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:32 am »

No, but get some tablets running this OS and MC with a nice Web interface and you'd have some pretty sweet remotes!
Instant boot up control of your music!

All possible now using xpTunes and MC.....

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:13:12 am »

Meh.  We'll see.  Linux on the Netbook didn't do so well, and has largely been abandoned.  If Android had been far slicker than it is still (though Cupcake is vastly improved), then I'd say "maybe".  The thing is, when people want to buy one of these things, they want it to be a computer running a regular desktop OS that they're used to.  They are far too "laptop-like" to warrant learning a whole new system, in most consumer's minds.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:55:23 am »

When do we get to play with this ?

..middle of next year...ho hum

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:20:21 pm »

When do we get to play with this ?

..middle of next year...ho hum

Exactly, by which time Windows 7 Starter will be out and fairly well established in the Netbook market.  I really wonder if this isn't just a whole WebTV/Internet-Console 3.0 thing.  Now, if they start pushing Chrome OS into new, non-laptop-like product spaces, then perhaps they have a shot.  I could see it working on a thin, ultra-portable, tablet-like device.  Of course, Apple is probably going to come out with one of those too, which could suck some of the oxygen out of the market.

It seems like most of the current makers are going to target the ultra-low-end netbook space (with Cell Phone carriers subsidizing them to near $0).  I just don't think it'll work there.  We'll see, but I suspect there may be a lot more resistance than these makers hope.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up