INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know how to get MC to remove Duplicate Song (Names) from a Smart Lis  (Read 2087 times)

justme065

Does anyone know how to get MC to remove Duplicate Song (Names) from a Smart List? I have a large library with the same "Song" in multiple albums - but would only want one (hopefully the one with the highest bit rate) to be kept in the Playlist. Thanks Justme065

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Unfortunately, there's no 'quick fix' to this problem.

You can add rules that remove duplicates, ~nodup=[artist],[name] for example, but there's no way to control which tracks are removed and which ones remain.

I still use this playlist based system today. It's well out of date now with regards to the screen grabs, but the basic setup is still the same, and it still requires a lot of boring groundwork setting it up, but once done, is easy to maintain.

-marko.

eba

• Galactic Citizen

...but there's no way to control which tracks are removed and which ones remain.

What what?  What's wrong with just putting in a sort before removing duplicates?
i.e. ~sort=[Bitrate]-d will put all the higher quality files first so that the lower quality ones are removed upon ~nodup=[Artist],[Name]

addition:
justme, just in case marko hasn't given you enough to read through already ;) here's a link to a fairly detailed post I wrote on removing duplicates

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

What what?  What's wrong with just putting in a sort before removing duplicates?
i.e. ~sort=[Bitrate]-d will put all the higher quality files first so that the lower quality ones are removed upon ~nodup=[Artist],[Name]

Well well, I did not know you could do that. Very interesting indeed!

I created a smartlist here that included all audio, sorted by bitrate-d, and removed the dupes. I then asked it to show me how many files from the exclusions playlist remained in the list, and out of around 1300 files, 400 or so remained, reminding me that while bitrate is the primary consideration, it's not the only one, so I shall continue with my current workflow.

Always something new to learn with this software :D thanks for the tip.

-marko.

eba

• Galactic Citizen

Well well, I did not know you could do that.

*Ben feels shocked and somewhat proud that he could have taught marko something*

;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up