INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Video Thumbnails (and I can not seem re-build them)  (Read 2929 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

I imported a whole heap of MPG home videos - some got thumbnailed (and got video details like Dimensions etc) but some did not get thumbnails.  I've tried "Delete Coverart" for these, "Update from Tags", "Rebuild Missing Thumbnails" etc but no luck.  MC will report it is building these missing thumbs but they don't ever appear (and I even see Haali appear in the sys tray ... Note:I've even tried these options without Haali installed to see if it is related to this but no difference). 

Any other options / ideas?
Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Missing Video Thumbnails (and I can not seem re-build them)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:05:54 am »

Are you using Haali renderer? I've found that screenshots cannot be taken with it, and the whole thumbnailing thing goes on forever, slowing the machine down. I now make screenshots for cover art/thumbs on a desktop PC using VMR9 and playback on my HTPC using Haali. That's all I got. I hope it steers you in the right direction.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:53:18 am »

Nope EVR - also 50% thumnailed fine.......and they were all made at the same time so they are exactly the same file specs.....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 02:11:27 am »

*bump* - any ideas on how to build these missing Thumbs?
JRiver CEO Elect

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:36:51 am »

If you make a copy of the file or rename it (from outside MC) and import is, so that MC treats it as a new file, do the thumbnails still not build?

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:40:23 am »

If you make a copy of the file or rename it (from outside MC) and import is, so that MC treats it as a new file, do the thumbnails still not build?
And if that doesn't yield any new results, remultiplex one or two files (ProjectX, TMPGEnc MPEG Editor), see if that changes anything.

You mentioned home videos. Are there some special characteristics to the way these vids were produced, cut, etc?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:38:15 am »

I'd transcoded these files from DV-AVI to MPG using TMPGenc - so they are all the "same" (well there are two batches 16:9 Anamorphic and 4:3) AND I imported them all in one go.  The only thing "odd" about these files is they are 15Mbps / I frames only but they all play fine in MC (note this PC is Win7 64-Bit).  What gets me is that some are Thumbnailed and some are not - and there is no pattern on which one got thumbnailed or not!  I now can not get any of these files to thumbnail eg I made a copy of one that was thumbnailed, then imported and "built thumbnails" but....not thumbs (log attached of this process).
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:27:58 am »

You seem ready for the longest of long shots, and at risk of stating the bleeding obvious....

Video thumbnailing hasn't gotten toggled off by any chance has it?

"Tools > Options > Tree and View > Thumbnails > Create thumbnails for videos"

How about the "Use screengrab for thumbnail" option in the right click menu during playback, does that work at all? How about "where did the use screengrab for thumbnail" go? I can't seem to find it any more??

I've got a few videos here that won't thumbnail, one claims to be 5 Min and 36 seconds long but won't play for more than 5 seconds, and there are four videos that play just fine, but, before playback, in any app, I get one of these, and I've no idea where it comes from...

That's me, all out of dumb long shot suggestions!!

-marko.

Daydream

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 12:37:50 pm »

The only thing "odd" about these files is they are 15Mbps / I frames only but they all play fine in MC (note this PC is Win7 64-Bit).

In theory those files should be even easier to be thumbnailed since every frame is self-referenced. Unrelated - that's not a very effective way of encoding.

What gets me is that some are Thumbnailed and some are not - and there is no pattern on which one got thumbnailed or not!  I now can not get any of these files to thumbnail eg I made a copy of one that was thumbnailed, then imported and "built thumbnails" but....not thumbs (log attached of this process).

I took a glance at your log and although I'm not an expert on reading it I have to wonder about your DirectShow filters. I see the Nero splitter being called a couple of times. My heart jumped. :) It's just me, but I would never use Nero filters with any other piece of software. Headaches, lots of headaches. Check the priority of your DirectShow filters, make a decoding chain as simple as possible.

I've got a few videos here that won't thumbnail, one claims to be 5 Min and 36 seconds long but won't play for more than 5 seconds, and there are four videos that play just fine, but, before playback, in any app, I get one of these, and I've no idea where it comes from...

That's an entirely different problem and is specific to AVI files alone. The file(s) are not properly interleaved. To simplify, your video data is at the begining of the file and most of the audio data is at the end of the file. Because of that a player needs to read 2 locations to keep things in sync. On a HDD is not a problem, on an optical disc it's a big one. The fix is simple, load the file in VDub(Mod) and save it again; it will interleave it properly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

Ok - tried changing all my Filters for these (this time FileSource --> FFDSHOW (Video/Audio) --> VMR 9)....good news - it built some more Thumbs (and populated some of the diminsions but incorrectly)....but unfortunatly some still refuse to Thumbnail.  Same behaviour on these files as before - When I try to Thumbnail these files I can see the FFDSHOW tray icon appear for each file, MC says it has built these missing thumbs but still nothing!  I can repeat over and over...very odd.

Also:
1) I too noticed that the "Use screengrab for thumbnail" option has gone  :(
2) I like the Nero splitter as it supports DTS in MPG containers where the MS does not and it is more reliable than the Haali one.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »

New log of 12 files being thumbnailed using FFDSHOW but only 5 worked....go figure
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »

Tried these on another Machine, this time a Vista 32-Bit Box and similar issues with some filters and with others I get Thumbs but they are all Black.....
JRiver CEO Elect

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:00 pm »

If you feel like experimenting I can suggest what I've done for my system - I installed the filters from MPC-HC.

The idea is that the filters built in MPC-HC are also available as separate downloads here. Specifically the x86 flavor (not to complicate things with x64) of
mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MpegSplitter.zip
mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_Mpeg2DecFilter.zip
mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MpaDecFilter.zip
mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_MPCVideoDec.zip
mpchc_x86_v1.2.908.0_dtsac3source.zip

and... I don't know there might be a couple more worth installing on that page. You install them with a regsvr32.exe [path to file]\[filtername] command. Than they show up as DirectShow filters and I told MC to use them for specific file sources.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »

Another very long shot... some programs' tray icons don't play nice with MC, e.g. CoreAVC. I seem to recall some problems with ffdshow as well. Turn off the tray icons in ffdshow and see if that changes anything. Also, the incorrect dimension reporting may be an ffdshow setting too. A lot of my 1080p files play back great pon my 1080p screen, but MC is convinced they're at 200% zoom.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 07:02:25 am »

Still got 24 of the files not thumbnailing - tried the MPC filters and the FFDSHOW Suggestions but no change.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up