INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improvements I'd like to see in MC  (Read 2038 times)

carbo

• World Citizen
Improvements I'd like to see in MC
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:00:06 am »

Here is a list of changes / improvements I'd like to see in MC:

Theatre View:
I'm not using theatre view to browse my library but only as a "current playing now" display (i love the images displaying in the back related to what's played).
The small modifications i'd like:
  • an option to disable the popup when exiting
  • a button to quickly launch theatre view. ctrl+4 is not that easy, and adding a button to switch display forces you to use a dropdown list. An other option could be an automatic switch to theatre view when playing songs.

Date Field:
Right now if you want to have panes with dates, it takes you 3 panes (year,month,day). I would like to have a field that behave like lists (tree organization). I have created a custom field with the expression [Year]\[Month]\[Day], but it's not perfect: you have to manually update it for each new file, and the sorting of month is incorrect.

Image:
  • Distinction between landscape and portrait: this one may be resolved by an search expression as i m not an expert in this area :) I d like to have views with only portrait pictures. I've tried expression like [Height]>[Width] but it's not working.
  • Ability to edit tags when in fullscreen mode

Thumbnail behaviour:
It's probably a bug but the option "remove orphan thumbnail on exit" doesn't seem to work anymore. I have 300000 pictures in MC and after a while MC started to be really slow. I looked on thumbnails directory and the "large" one had a file size of 6GB ! so i remove all thumbnails and made the following test:
- After erasing all thumbnails, i browse some pictures
- The thumbnails cache files start to grow.
- I remove from MC the browsed files.
- I exit MC
- The thumbnails files still have the same size !

And finally 2 requests i've already made but unanswered for now:

For MC15 I would love to have customizable views like the last version of foobar. The ability to have each module movable with anchors, resizable would be a really great change.

I still love MC but I have to say that I'm a "little" disappointed by MC14. I don't see that many changes (maybe because I don't have a DLNA device  :P) and I have the impression that user requests were more heard in previous versions.

With that said, MC is still a fantastic product with no real opponents  ;)

Ram1

• Recent member
Re: Improvements I'd like to see in MC
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:42 pm »

Image:

* Distinction between landscape and portrait: this one may be resolved by an search expression as i m not an expert in this area Smiley I d like to have views with only portrait pictures. I've tried expression like [Height]>[Width] but it's not working.

Any responses available for using expressions like the one above?  I saw that this was not possible as recently as MC12, but I'm not sure if it might be capable from the "Custom" attribute of the Smartlist rules in 13 or 14 (I can't seem to get it to work).  I'd also be interested in being able to only pull landscape or portrait images into a smartlist.

If it can't be done as described above, would it be possible to script the expression to iterate through the images and write to a tag (Notes, Description, etc.)?

Thanks!

Ram1

• Recent member
Re: Improvements I'd like to see in MC
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:01:41 pm »

Well, I figured out the answer to my own question above... an expression can indeed be used as "Custom" rules in the Search Bar, Smartlist or Step 4 of the View Scheme Editor.

For portrait use this:  [=IsEqual([Width],[Height],3)]=1
For portrait and perfectly square, use this:  [=IsEqual([Width],[Height],4)]=1
For landscape use this:  [=IsEqual([Width],[Height],5)]=1
For landscape and perfectly square, use this:  [=IsEqual([Width],[Height],6)]=1

More info can be found at http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language, but the major point here is found in the Notes at the end of this wiki help where it describes using [=<type your expression here>]=1

Of course, if the image has already been "rotated" so that (for example) a normally portrait shot of a person is being displayed as if they were lying on their side in a landscape oriented image, that pic will show up in landscape results...

It's also important to note that these sorts of expressions can be used to auto-populate tags, too.

:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up