INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search suggestions of files  (Read 1648 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Search suggestions of files
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:17:06 am »

I knew the partial name of a song that I wanted to find and I knew the artist. I went to Audio and got down to his 7 albums. The view was thumbnails on top and details at the bottom. In the top right Search box, I typed the partial name that I knew which was "everything". The bottom showed the songs that matched which was fine. However the search suggestions was across the entire database which threw me off because I thought they would be just for the drilled down view I was in. Back at the main view which are all audio files, the suggestions there make sense. Selecting a Name from the suggestions which was just called "Everything", which wasn't the song in the drilled down album view, showed no search results. Why display them and let me select one if it can't then show me the result?
Jeff

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Search suggestions of files
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:34:45 am »

this self same flawed logic applies to drop down panes too, it's so bizarre and un-intuitive, that I rate it as a bug!!

-marko.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:53:53 am »

Un-intuitive indeed
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 11:05:21 am »

This sort of thing comes up often.

Some users find nested / stacked searches logical and others find them confusing.

For example, if you search for "Bob Dylan" after picking "Abba" in a pane, should it just show Bob Dylan tracks or should it show no matches?  Currently it'll show nothing and say:

There are no search results inside the current pane selection.
Double-click here to search the entire library.

This is a sort of middle-ground. 

The search suggestion system always searches all the files in the view so that at least you can get to the message above.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:40 am »

The search suggestion system always searches all the files in the view so that at least you can get to the message above.
OK, I got the message you described. Double-clicked and it brought me back to my main view period. What I tried searching for was still in the search box but ALL files were in the details. From what you described, it should have filtered immediately on what I typed from the main view.

Even if I click on the search box, the highlighted search says it's "Showing files containing '[Artist]=[Bob Dylan]'" but it isn't. Clicking on the highlighted search doesn't filter. Pressing End to go to the end of the text, get rid of the highlight, and pressing Enter doesn't filter. In fact the only way I can get it to then filter is to add a space. Something doesn't seem consistent.
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:52:37 am »

OK, I got the message you described. Double-clicked and it brought me back to my main view period. What I tried searching for was still in the search box but ALL files were in the details. From what you described, it should have filtered immediately on what I typed from the main view.

Even if I click on the search box, the highlighted search says it's "Showing files containing '[Artist]=[Bob Dylan]'" but it isn't. Clicking on the highlighted search doesn't filter. Pressing End to go to the end of the text, get rid of the highlight, and pressing Enter doesn't filter. In fact the only way I can get it to then filter is to add a space. Something doesn't seem consistent.

This is just a bug, and it should hopefully be fixed next build.  Sorry for any confusion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up