INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server Silencing  (Read 1809 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Server Silencing
« on: November 17, 2009, 02:55:21 pm »

I would like some ideas on how to silence our large media server.  The main noise culprit is the redundant power supply which utilizes tiny, high speed fans.  I was picturing some sort of baffling around the whole case that would not stop airflow through the front and back but would use multiple edges and surfaces with spiraling paths to reduce the sound while allowing the air to flow through.

Heat is not a problem anymore but the noise is a pain.

Ideas greatly appreciated!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Server Silencing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:20:33 pm »

servers will radiate heat as well as dump heat into an airstream.

I'll bet that if you wrap your server in some kind of blanket you will also have to increase the airflow.

As recommended before, you need to buy a good, sealed, soundproof rack and exhaust the air outside.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:09:58 pm »

As long as cool air can freely flow into the front and warmed air out the back, what more could a server ask for?  Data centers have these adjacent vertically and rely on the front and back for airflow, right?  I know a rackmount case would do wonders but that's a big commitment when I just want an easy, cheap way to reduce the ambient noise.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »

think back to your 'easy and cheap' solutions from the past few years and look at what you eventually ended up with.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:55 am »

I get your point.  It's just that right now, the server is on a table with ~6 inches of space from the back.  I had placed empty boxes up against the wall/server on the right and top.  So the left and bottom of the back of the server are open.  Doing this cut the sound significantly.  I know!  I should fill those boxes with peanuts!   ;D

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 12:59:26 am »

how much of the noise is vibration transfer from the server to the table?

Also, other than the CPU fan(s), look at tearing out ALL of the 12v fans in favor of externally powered 120 vac fans.  You can get some high-volume quiet airflows from QUALITY 4" and 5" muffin fans that are 1" thick (or less).

By pulling the fans off your server power supply, you will be saving around 10 watts per fan.  You will gain head room on the power supply, lessened stress on the p/s, and lessened DC motor noise being backhauled onto the 12v DC power lines.

Mount the external 120 vac fans with thick rubber mounts for vibration isolation.  You want fans pushing air into the server and more fans pulling it out.

Your air intake should be at least 12" up from the floor.

Side note; in most data centers, high-density racks will pull air from below the floor and exhaust it out the back and top of the racks.  I'm not talking converted closets or offices here.

Grumpy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:48:18 am »

You might try a simple voltage divider on each fan.
18Tb Media Server, MC14. 1800+ movies and growing.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 11:29:11 am »

You might try a simple voltage divider on each fan.
Or some simple 1amp 100v rectifiers in series with the + supply to the fan. Each one drops about .7 volts reducing the fan speed (works great on an xbox 360 I had to mod). If you drop it too far though your PS will overheat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up