INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Volume Names not Drive Letter  (Read 1822 times)

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
Feature Request - Volume Names not Drive Letter
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:29 am »

Would it be possible for MC to track volume names instead of drive letters? Right now, much of my movie collection is on removable USB drives. When connecting to my computer, I am at the mercy of Windows as to what drive letter it is assigned. If my drive letter doesn't match MC's database, it doesn't see the files.

Would there be any way for MC to recognize volumes when connected and automatically remap drive letters internally?

Cheers

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Feature Request - Volume Names not Drive Letter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:49 am »

You can manage the drive letter for the USB device to eliminate this problem. This is done from the OS (XP, Vista...) not MC.

I don't remember how to do it with XP, but for Vista you go to Computer Management. In the navigation pane you will find Disk Management. You will see the drives and you can right click on it. From here you can change or assign a drive letter.

Easiest way is to do a search in help. There will be links within the help you can click on. Try searching for this "Change, add, or remove a drive letter".

rjm

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:23 am »

In my opinion, one of the only good reasons for upgrading to Vista from XP is that Vista does a much better job of remembering USB drive letters. XP frequently forgets drive letter assignments and you have to remap using Computer Management as magic_randy suggests.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 01:25:33 pm »

look at this link - USB Driveletter manager

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm.html

very good program

rjm

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:08 pm »

look at this link - USB Driveletter manager

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm.html

very good program

Superb tip. Wish I knew about this years ago. Thank you very much!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

We already do volume ID mapping like you're describing for CDs and DVDs.  So if MC knows about a CD, it will ask for it by name and check all drives for the disc.

Maybe this should be extended to removable drives as well?  This is the first I've heard this request, but it may make sense.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 06:20:14 pm »

We already do volume ID mapping like you're describing for CDs and DVDs.  So if MC knows about a CD, it will ask for it by name and check all drives for the disc.

Maybe this should be extended to removable drives as well?  This is the first I've heard this request, but it may make sense.
Sounds intriguing but I do not understand the implications. Some of us have very complicated network and USB drive setups (in my case I use all 26 letters and then some). Please be cautious about radical changes.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 06:36:58 pm »

I agree with rjm. If there are no implications this would be a nice feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up