INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving to NAS  (Read 1155 times)

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
moving to NAS
« on: December 04, 2009, 08:03:36 pm »

exciting change for me: soon i'll have double the space and a backup!  :D

does anyone else have any experience/recommendations for moving to an NAS? i am assuming that using the "Rename Files" feature to relocate my (45000+ file) library to an NAS is not reliable and/or robust enough. that is to say, i assume it's just a standard windows copy action going on in the background, which can't be the most efficient and reliable way to move a lot of files across a network. is there a good app out there for moving files?

thanks for any and all recommendations you have.

micah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: moving to NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:46:17 am »

MC's Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename" should work.

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:53:17 am »

i started the process this morning using that feature, but it was going quite slow (and MC crashed once). i decided to ftp the files over to the NAS, and it's going much better.

as to my library: i suspect that the "Find/Replace" feature used on the file path, changing from the old path to the new path, will keep my library intact and happy. correct?

thanks!
micah

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:06:58 pm »

... I suspect that the "Find/Replace" feature used on the file path, changing from the old path to the new path, will keep my library intact and happy. correct?

Actually, the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool is even better in that because it gives you a preview of the new filenames. Just take care that you select the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)" setting and untick the Directories and Folder options. In the "Find & Replace" section you can define the path change.

Try a few files before doing many and also disable all auto-import features before running the tool.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:51 pm »

Actually, the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool is even better in that because it gives you a preview of the new filenames. Just take care that you select the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move or copy)" setting and untick the Directories and Folder options. In the "Find & Replace" section you can define the path change.

ohhh, interesting, i didn't know this. thanks for the tip!

Try a few files before doing many and also disable all auto-import features before running the tool.

yep, i don't use the auto-import anyway. thanks again...

micah
Pages: [1]   Go Up