INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tag(..) expression funtion  (Read 1111 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Tag(..) expression funtion
« on: August 24, 2009, 01:55:58 am »

I've tried to use the Tag() function in an expression for a user defined tag. The user def tag is set up as calculated.

The expression I'm trying is Tag(IPTC: Byline) or Tag(IPTC: City).  Did anyone else try this function? Is it recommended? I'm not getting values even if the IPTC tags are populated..

rick.ca

Re: Tag(..) expression funtion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:57:25 am »

I'm sure I haven't figured this out fully, but this is what I've found so far...

MC maps certain IPTC tags onto its standard fields (i.e., when the library is updated from tags). These are the only ones that can be referenced using Tag(), and they must be referred to by their MC field name. So Byline, for example, is mapped to Artist. It could be put in an expression field using Tag(IPTC: Artist). Byline Title is not mapped to anything, so it can't be accessed with Tag(). Country, State, City are mapped together to Places, so you would have to use a more complex expression to extract City from Places. Sublocation is not mapped, so it can't be used. The behaviour is the same for EXIF tags.

raldo

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:29:24 pm »

MC maps certain IPTC tags onto its standard fields (i.e., when the library is updated from tags). These are the only ones that can be referenced using Tag(), and they must be referred to by their MC field name.

Thanks for the info, Rick.ca, unfortunately that defies the whole point of using this function for my use :( I was thinking that I'd be able to grab a hold of those tags even if they weren't mapped to MC tags...

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:55:46 pm »

I was thinking that I'd be able to grab a hold of those tags even if they weren't mapped to MC tags...

Yes, you would think the purpose of such a function is to get the data from tags that MC is not already getting. Restricting it to data mapped to MC tags doesn't serve any purpose I can imagine.

Even if your requested one-to-one mapping of IPTC tags is implemented, if would be nice to have such a function for accessing data that is not mapped. Even if all IPTC tags are mapped, this would not be the case for EXIF tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up