INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback fails with WMA 64 kbps  (Read 1808 times)

DopeyJones

• Junior Woodchuck
Playback fails with WMA 64 kbps
« on: August 25, 2009, 04:55:15 pm »

All of a sudden, MJ started giving me error messages whenever I try to play WMA files (most of them in 64 kbps), and does nothing when I try to import the whole folder.
("The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)")

What's happening here?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playback fails with WMA 64 kbps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:15:58 pm »

Where did you get the files?

DopeyJones

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:38 am »

They're just ordinary copied wma-files from my CDs. There's no copy protection on the files.

Right now though, after I've started the PC up again it has no problems playing. So it's a periodic issue it seems.
But it still won't import the files :-/. Even though I have the "ignore previous imported files" box ticked off.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:24:37 am »

"The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)"

Does that mean that the displayed Media Type field value is empty? If yes, you should be able to change it to "Audio" by hand. You may also need to change the File Type field values to "wma".

The problem may be related to the MPL import if you imported an MPL file that doesn't contain the Media Type field and the files were not previously imported. The "Import MPL Playlist" menu function is designed to be very quick and it doesn't run the usual file analyzer (it is intended for experienced users).

To fix this problem for good you could create a new library or clear the library (you may want to save a new library backup file first) and first import the files by using one of the the standard import methods before updating data by using the MPL file. Another option would be to create an MPL file that contains the correct Media Type and perhaps also the File Type values.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

DopeyJones

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:15:24 am »

Actually, it occurred after I had totally cleared the library and then tried to play some of the tracks, and import them.
They do of course have defined file extensions. But I'm not sure what you mean by the Media Type Field?

if you imported an MPL file that doesn't contain the Media Type field and the files were not previously imported
I imported the audio files themselves, via auto-import and "Import folder", not via MPL in this case. I'm still working on my MPL file there.

I tried importing the same folder on another user account. There it mostly worked, except that it didn't import ALL the files. There are 7977 files in the first main music folder, it only imported 7849.

If I select all files and pull them to the MJ window, it counts them all though.

The "Import MPL Playlist" menu function is designed to be very quick and it doesn't run the usual file analyzer (it is intended for experienced users)
But even though the function is intended to be simple using, it still ought to do the job thoroughly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up