INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would you pay more for musical downloads if  (Read 1766 times)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
Would you pay more for musical downloads if
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »

if it had the cover art, lyrics and sheet music all in the on digital file.
So much music so little time!

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Would you pay more for musical downloads if
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 07:26:04 pm »

If it did I might even be inclined to do so.
I don't use music services now because I find them overpriced for what you get.

Peter_T

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 08:50:35 am »

Yup.  I probably would.  Right now I use eMusic and buy physical media in stores.  eMusic is my favourite digital store. 

The iTunes LPs might catch on, or they might bomb.  Depends how we get to use them.  They are html and css, I think, nothing fancy.  It's like a good fan page, but you buy it and put it in your collection. 

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:27 am »

Is it really just web items?  It looked like they had some 3d animation going on in the demo.  If so, very strange...

I buy CDs exclusively but typically purchase used or through some sites I have found with excellent prices on CDs.  I do this because then I get:

1. FLAC
2. 1200x1200 hand scanned, exactly exact cover art (not something just close)
3. Hard copy for playing occasionally
4. Extra booklet which I'd look at if only I had the time...I suppose I do for my favorite couple three CDs

The only way I would move from digital CDs is if I could get FLAC and very high quality cover art.  I can live without the hard copy & booklet.  But those other two I will never give up.  My library is 100% complete on both realms and I'm not going to taint that.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:32:05 am »

Just noticed that Trans-Siberian Orchestra is releasing their upcoming double CD on digital and when it's available for download, you can also download an illustrated 56 page pdf booklet. Certainly makes it more attractive.
Jeff

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:23:08 am »

I agree with Ben.  I buy my CD's and rip them into flac files.  Cover art is not vital to me but I can always scan them later.  I am curious about where others buy CD's.  I use Yourmusic.com for a reasonable selection at 6.99 delivered.  I browse some local used CD stores too.  If there are some other good on-line sites to buy CD's at a reasonable price I would love to hear where they are.

Tunetyme

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:03:38 am »

FWIW... My answer is no.  I buy almost 100% of my new music via Amazon's MP3 store now.  I'm not interested in a subscription service AT ALL.  No thanks on the whole idea.  I don't need any new monthly bills, and I have a large enough music library that I can provide my own huge mixes, thanks.

The Amazon files come pretty well tagged as is, and I'd love to see better tagging with lyrics and more art (they already have cover art) and whatnot, but I certainly wouldn't pay MORE for it.  I'd rather pay less, frankly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:23:23 am »

I too generally buy the CD and rip it myself. For me to download full albums they would have to be in a lossless format, I have used HD Tracks for a couple albums but only when they had a 20% off "coupon" otherwise since it's about the same money I would rather buy the CD. That being said I have made some MP3 purchases from Amazon for some single songs where I didn't really want the full album. Not a musician so I would have no interest in the sheet music and I personally feel that downloads should already contain the cover art and lyrics...

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:05:46 pm »

Not a chance I'm afraid.
I want to listen to music, not be bombarded with irrelavant junk.

With my audiobook collection it's another kettle of fish entirely, but either way I much prefer to maintain things to my own database standard, rather than conform to anything which doesn't fit my needs.
When push comes to shove, I suspect that most users of MC (As opposed to Itunes or any other media player) will have a much more diverse set of data and preferences to go with it, as MC's database and the flexibility inherent therein are the main reason that a lot of us are here!

-Leezer-

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:54 am »

For me the advantage of using CD's and ripping them myself is I have a hard copy backup.  If you assume an average CD has 10 songs then I pay $.70 a song if I buy it from Yourmusic.com.  If I want to cherry pick an artist I can buy one of the greatest hits versions where I generally get more than 10 songs and my cost drop accordingly.  If the music companys started offering downloads in a lossless format at a reasonable cost then I might consider it.  I would still need to do a hard copy backup of the file.  I would like to get my cost under $.50 per song.  As for sheet music if it has the key information that would be a nice addition for me but that is all I would use it for.

Tunetyme

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 02:14:04 am »

I'd pay, but I need good covers (front and back, and possibly the booklet or what ever it's called), lossless music, and good tags (bios, lysrics etc) before I switch from CD.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up