INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO vs WASAPI  (Read 14050 times)

lpr

• World Citizen
ASIO vs WASAPI
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:57:19 am »

Hello,

I'm running an E-MU 0404 USB on Vista. I'm playing around with WASAPI and i'm wondering if it's normal that I can slide the volume control in MC... Because I'm used to ASIO that sends the signal untouched to the soundcard.

WASAPI seems to use less memory than the E-MU ASIO drivers or ASIO4ALL... but, is it changing the signal?

Thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: ASIO vs WASAPI
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »

In the Output Mode Settings have you selected "Open Device For Exclusive Access"? It should be selected. On my Tascam US-122L (similar to the Emu) I can use WASAPI and am not able to change the volume in Vista. I can slide the volume control, but it has no effect. I didn't think that the Emu 0404 USB had Vista drivers. However, even if they do they might not have implemented WASAPI properly.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:54:41 pm »

By the way, Gordon Ranklin (of Wavelength Audio) said the following at the Computer Audiophile website. Wavelength Audio has some nice USB DACs. Gordon also happens to recommend MC as an audio player.

Not all ASIO's are created equal. We found that with XP and depending on device and stuff that allot of change of the character of sound happened. We could never really figure out why. With Vista we found using ASIO did not sound as good as Direct Sound even though Direct was not bit perfect. This even further confused us... We did find that Vista:Direct sounded allot better than XP:ASIO.

Working on the WASAPI stuff and will advise. I will send your concerns about J River over to the president and see what he has to say.

Thanks
Gordon

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:25:03 pm »

Gordon sent us one of his DAC's in June and we found and fixed a problem with WASPI support.

Here is a page on our wiki concerning settings:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DAC_Settings

He also mentioned at that time that there was a problem with another player introducing clicks into the WASPI output.

As far as I know, everything works perfectly now if it is set correctly.

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:20:59 pm »

Hello,

I've been using the settings from the FAQ that Jim quoted. With those, I can slide the volume up & down... That's why I'm not sure if the signal is unaltered.

Thanks.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

Are you sure that "Tools > Options > Output Mode Settings > Open Device For Exclusive Access" is checked? If it isn't checked, you can still adjust the volume. Also, in your Sound Card Properties (in Vista's Control Panel > Hardware & Sound) under the Advanced tab you need to make sure that "Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of This Device" is checked.

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:00:34 pm »

Are you sure that "Tools > Options > Output Mode Settings > Open Device For Exclusive Access" is checked? If it isn't checked, you can still adjust the volume. Also, in your Sound Card Properties (in Vista's Control Panel > Hardware & Sound) under the Advanced tab you need to make sure that "Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of This Device" is checked.

Yes, it's checked at both locations.

I have a secondary sound card (on motherboard) that I use for pc sounds. I don't know if this is causing problems... I know that ASIO works as advertised.

Thanks for your time.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:33 pm »

Interesting.

Gordon's protocol allows hardware control of his DACs via "Windows", which is smart. Interesting to hear how this is working with MC14.

Inside "Output mode settings..." for WASAPI Checked: Open device for exclusive access Unchecked: Present 24-bit data in a 32-bit package.

Haven't used WASAPI, but does this mean we can still toggle between System/Internal volume?
Pages: [1]   Go Up