INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Links for Additional Information  (Read 837 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Using Links for Additional Information
« on: September 07, 2009, 06:44:32 pm »

One way to accomplish this would be to tweak the Links feature such that it could point to locally stored document files. This way we could stay in audio only views but still be able to access the document file when we want more information.

That's an interesting idea! This can be done right now, although probably not in as flexible manner as you might wish. This is what I came up with...

If media folder structure is perfectly consistent (like they would be if all were set using Rename, Move & Copy Files), a search like the following could be used to display additional information. In this case, this would be my document for saving something like an album review. A similar one could be used for Artist, Style, Genre (or whatever) documents.

file:////M://[Genre]//[Style]//[Artist]//[Year] [Album]//[Album] INFO.html

My media folder structure isn't perfectly consistent. For this and other reasons, I might prefer a dedicated set of folders for these documents. Then the folder structure and query might be:

file:////M://Album Info//[Artist]//[Album].html

It's a slick way to display additional information. I set the search to "Open in a new tab," and a HTML document is, of course, rendered nicely (if existing files are text, I don't know if this could be made to work). The main problem I see is there is no obvious way to tell if additional information exists. If it doesn't, the search returns a browser error. That wouldn't be an issue, of course, if the additional information exists in all or most cases.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using Links for Additional Information
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:03:17 pm »

Thanks, I remember playing with Links when they first came out and gave up because I could not get it to work as you suggest.

Perhaps we need a new link type that does the following when clicked:

1) Look in the directory of the selected file and open all document files with the default external application. If no document files exist, then display message saying no documents available.

or

2) Open all documents with the same Artist and Album tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up