INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Be able to delete X characters  (Read 1021 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request: Be able to delete X characters
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:02 pm »

In the Find And Replace... menu, I think it would be great if there was a way to delete the first X number of characters from a field. Similarly, if we could delete the last X number of characters. Or even X number of characters starting from Y characters in.

There are quite a few cases in my library where this would be useful. I have seen other file renaming and mp3 tagging utilities have this type of ability. I'm no programming guru, but I bet it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to implement.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Be able to delete X characters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:15:59 pm »

RemoveLeft()
RemoveRight()
will get you what you're looking for.
Select the files you'd like to remove characters from. Press Alt+Enter. Enter =RemoveLeft([tag name], #-characters-to-remove) into whatever field you'd like to remove from the beginning of. Further info can be found in the wiki. I think you can do the X from Y characters in also, but I've never used that so you'll need to do some reading for that one...

-JB

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature Request: Be able to delete X characters
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:35 pm »

This did work, though it's not as pretty as I've seen it executed elsewhere.

I guess this is the problem with a piece of software so powerful... i consider myself an average user and i never would have been able to figure that out without asking.

Would still really like to see it added to the other portion of the software where you can add and remove spaces. maybe show a preview for what it will do (though doing an undo isn't a big deal).
Pages: [1]   Go Up