INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV and Video Playback in MC 14.0.050 - under Win2003 Server  (Read 1653 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
TV and Video Playback in MC 14.0.050 - under Win2003 Server
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:15:49 pm »

I wanted to install my new media server with Win2003 server SP2 (x86, latest updates included) and wanted to install MC 14.0.050 to try if everything works as before.

My finds:
- I get random situations where the program just silently disappears (it dies silently, without telling me that it crashes)
- the TV playback just shows a black window (although I installed everything the same way as in MC 13, analogue cable tuner...), sound is ok - I can set whatever
   renderer I want, have also CCCP installed, no success - it tells me "Starting TV" and then "Playing: Cable 36 <not available>" and "Next: <not available>"
- zone switching has no effect on the sound output

Everything else seems to work fine until now

Probably someone has already seen these kind of problems and can give me a hint what to do

My setup (which worked fine under WinXP Pro SP3 since MC12) is
- ASUS P5WD2 Premium M/B
- 4GB memory
- 2.8 GHz Dual CPU
- Areca RAID controller
- Matrox Parhelia APVe
- Creative Audigy 2 ZS audio controller
- Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 tuner

I use the same driver set as with WinXP now with Win2003 server, can't see any big difference. Except that I now use GPT disk RAID 6 (to use 10TB of contiguous hard disk space)

Any hint would be nice - oh and I would also install Vista x86 or Win2008 server x86 if that would be necessary - x64 O/S I cannot use because of missing drivers for my M/B

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: TV and Video Playback in MC 14.0.050 - under Win2003 Server
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:53:13 am »

For the TV picture, you might try choosing a different video decoder here:
Options > Playback > TV Settings... > Configure device

For audio, you need to pick a renderer for each zone in:
Options > Playback > DirectShow video playback settings...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:01:54 am »

For the TV picture, you might try choosing a different video decoder here:
Options > Playback > TV Settings... > Configure device

Matt, I did that, but the only choice I have is to set a checkmark on 'use FFDShow video decoder for post processing' (and with Video Capture Filter/Preview Pin/Crossbar etc I have no experience, so I better leave these settings the way they are) - there is no other possibility to choose a decoder!

And it worked in MC13 before, so something might have changed and I just don't know where to tweak it. I changed this and that, sometimes it just showed the TV picture (sometimes frozen, sometimes working) in the little preview window. As soon as I detached the screen the sound was fine but the screen remained black...

I installed everything, including the CCCP set. I suppose something is wrong with the O/S... I checked with my DirectX version and it is 9c. Probably I have to load DirectX10? You know these things better as I do. Probably just Win2003 Server doesn't like all this? Or would it be better to install Win2008 server?

What I saw when installing MC14 was that it behaved differently from MC13 where it normally installed something from Micro$oft during install. This might be the problem, who knows. I'm just stuck.

Oh and I found - in DVD configuration - a video decoder and renderer setting. I tested all possible variations, to no avail. Something is simply missing...

Probably we get to the problem solution if we know what means "Cable 36: <not available" and "Next: <not available.", what means that 'not available'?

For audio, you need to pick a renderer for each zone in:
Options > Playback > DirectShow video playback settings...

My problem with audio in different zones has nothing to do with video... it's the audio! I play music in zone 1 with channels 'front right/left', in zone 2 with 'center/subwoofer' and in zone 3 with 'back right/left'. I can play different music in the different zones, but everything coming out of the speakers is the sound of zone 1... and I had the same setup working in MC13... strange...

I use the latest KX driver set for my sound card (to re-direct the 6 channels in 3 sets of 2 stereo channels) and set it to exactly the same values as in my MC13 installation. In MC13 it's ok, in MC14 it's different

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:49:42 pm »

Matt, I did that, but the only choice I have is to set a checkmark on 'use FFDShow video decoder for post processing' (and with Video Capture Filter/Preview Pin/Crossbar etc I have no experience, so I better leave these settings the way they are) - there is no other possibility to choose a decoder!

On Digital TV tab, you can select which video decoder and renderer to use.
EDIT: I just realized that you were trying to play an analog cable channel.  That is why the options are not available. Email me a log.  yaobing at jriver dot com

And it worked in MC13 before, so something might have changed and I just don't know where to tweak it. I changed this and that, sometimes it just showed the TV picture (sometimes frozen, sometimes working) in the little preview window. As soon as I detached the screen the sound was fine but the screen remained black...

I installed everything, including the CCCP set. I suppose something is wrong with the O/S... I checked with my DirectX version and it is 9c. Probably I have to load DirectX10? You know these things better as I do. Probably just Win2003 Server doesn't like all this? Or would it be better to install Win2008 server?
Win2003 Server could be part of the problem, but I am not sure.  Being a server it may lack some media playback capabilities.  That is why installing a decoder pack such as CCCP is important.  But I see you have already done it, and MC13 worked before (it was on the same machine, right?)  You can try resetting settings in CCCP.  

What I saw when installing MC14 was that it behaved differently from MC13 where it normally installed something from Micro$oft during install. This might be the problem, who knows. I'm just stuck.

Oh and I found - in DVD configuration - a video decoder and renderer setting. I tested all possible variations, to no avail. Something is simply missing...

Probably we get to the problem solution if we know what means "Cable 36: <not available" and "Next: <not available.", what means that 'not available'?

'not available' simply means programming info is not available.  You need to load XMLTV EPG data in order to see programming info.  Not doing it should however not prevent you from playing a channel.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

globetrotters1

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 07:46:00 am »

Yaobing,

thanks a lot for your comments... a few remarks to enlighten the situation:

- before, I used WinXP Pro SP3 with MC13 (on the same machine, so the hardware is ok and works)
- because I need GPT disks (RAID with more than 2 TB volumes) I had to switch to Win2003 Server
- I installed MC14 to see if everything works (and before I buy a license, I have licenses for MC12 and MC13 though)
- everything works, some functions a lot better than with MC13
- my main problem is the TV/video which shows a black screen

I'm sure you are right with your ideas. I will send you a log by email. I installed CCCP but never changed anything there before. So I didn't change anything until now either. Question would be what I should change and how!?

I doubt that we have here XMLTV EPB data. I'm living in Mexico and all there is is the cable TV with 72 analogue channels, period. If someone wants to know the TV program he has to buy like a printed paper. There are no program data available electronically.

If you can give me just a hint where and what to tweak in CCCP, I do the log process for you in the meantime.

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »

Your log file shows that DirectShow filter graph was built correctly.  There is no obvious problem except that you were using "FFDShow for post processing".  This option may be the problem.  Please try unchecking that checkbox on Advanced Properties tab.  Depending on the version you have, FFDShow may not work well with Enhanced Video Renderer, which is used in MC on post XP OS.

globetrotters1

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:03:40 pm »

Yaobing,

sorry, but these days I had not much time to fiddle around with this stuff...
I tried to switch off the "FFDshow post processing" - same result - black screen, sound is ok
What now?

Thanks for your support!

Is it possible that certain standard Micro$oft components are missing?

globetrotters1

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:18:59 pm »

Yaobing, I found it... thanks for your support, appreciate it a lot!

I had to re-install the graphics driver, re-install DirectX, do all the settings again and alas... it works again!

It seemed to be a combination of driver/DirectX problem

Sorry for having bothered you!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 07:45:36 pm »

It was no bother at all.

Glad you sorted it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up