INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod support  (Read 5172 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
iPod support
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:15:56 pm »

B. iPods:  I'm not an Apple IPod user and while I've not followed the threads closely it seems that you built a big community from supporting this device and are now suffering as Itunes takes them back.
We support all the iPods.  Just not the iPhone and Touch, since they are difficult and likely to change anytime.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: iPod support
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:19:28 pm »

Does this apply to the most recent firmware versions of all iPods?  If so, can we install the latest iTunes in order to update the the latest iPod firmware?  Should iTunes then be UNinstalled, or can it exist on the system at the same time as MC13?

Thanks,

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:39:27 pm »

If you install iTunes, let us know what happens.  It isn't safe any more.  You never know what you'll get.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 10:18:41 pm »

If you install iTunes, let us know what happens.  It isn't safe any more.  You never know what you'll get.

If I connect my iPhone 3G while MC13 is running, MC crashes and quits.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:48:04 am »

Funny that... Do you have iphone support turned on in options>general>advanced>features?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:35:54 pm »

Given this, what's the recommended procedure for updating iPods to the latest firmware, which in some cases is necessary?  MC could actually do the firmware updates for older iPods, but as of the last time I checked, it could not update newer models.  Is this still correct?  It seems like the idea of "iPod support" should include the capability of doing firmware updates one way or another.

Are you saying that simply having iTunes on the same system as MC, even if you don't USE iTunes for anything other than updating the iPod, can cause issues?  Also, does this mean that if we want to use MC, we simply have no access to content that is exclusive to iTunes?  A lot of TV shows fall into this category.

Thanks again for your feedback on this -- I'm just trying to fully understand the situation.

Larry

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:07:16 pm »

I need iTunes to sync my iPhones.

I always have the latest version of MC, and the latest version of iTunes on my PC.

I always configure iTunes so that it does not start up when an iPod or iPhone is plugged in.

I don't open MC and iTunes at the same time.

I never have any trouble.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:32 pm »

I always have the latest version of MC, and the latest version of iTunes on my PC.

I always configure iTunes so that it does not start up when an iPod or iPhone is plugged in.

Thanks for this report Randy.  It really helps to hear from people who've tried this sort of thing.

Larry

rjm

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 01:40:38 am »

This has been my experience too.

I have seen several constructive suggestions for how MC might support the Touch/iPhone. I suspect it has not happened because of JRiver's principles rather than their skills. It might be time to take deep breath,  hold your nose to mask the stink of a kluge, and provide a solution. The pleasure of more sales will surely help compensate for compromised principles.

shawnholt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:33 pm »

MC 13 used to work with my iphone, but now it is no longer recognized.  is it becuase i upgraded to 3.01?  Tried 14 and still doesn't work.  This is a very important feature for me!  Note that media monkey fully supports ipod sync. 

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 06:00:11 am »

MC 13 used to work with my iphone, but now it is no longer recognized.  is it becuase i upgraded to 3.01?  Tried 14 and still doesn't work.  This is a very important feature for me!  Note that another program fully supports ipod sync. 

I'd bet it's the update, yes. Apple does every thing they can to screw up the hardware to software connections for other products. You'll either have to live with old software/firmware, or you have to use a plugin and iTunes to do the sync from MC14 (uses iTunes in the background to do the actual syncing). I have yet to try it my self, but I do believe it's a thing I can live with.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

rmaunder

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 03:19:16 pm »

Hi is the quote of JimH really correct? I have a new iPod Shuffle and it's not recognized at all. I know Apple are doing their best to make it impossible for folks like JRiver to support iPods (the sort of behavior people normally attribute to Microsoft). So what are my options for syncing - use iTunes as an intermediary? What is this plugin mentioned above - I can't find any info on it.

Thanks for the help and great product.

Rick

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 07:05:12 am »

Try to follow this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0
I believe that's one of the better alternatives of syncing you're MC library when there's no iPod/phone support. Usually J River supports the new pods pretty soon after they arrive, but if you want the support now, then the plugin might be your only choice.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

jack wallstreet

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 10:35:43 pm »

I sync 5 Ipods using MC 14.  I sync an Iphone using MC-ITunes Synchronizer mentioned in previous post.  It is stand alone, not a plug-in, but it works great with no pain or particular effort on my part.  The Synchronizer merely makes sure (the way I use it) that ITunes has the same music/playlists as does MC.  I then plug the Iphone into Itunes and let it update the Iphone.  Not a big deal.  Of course, it would be much better if MC supported the Iphone, but that looks a long way off due to the encrypted database on the Iphone.
John

VOLFAN

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:37:50 am »

I just realized I shouldn't have installed itunes 8 on my new Shuffle (4gb)!  Argh! Wish I would have found this and the other posts first as I'm now getting "device not supported" pop-ups.    

Can I revert to an earlier firmware / itunes version for the shuffle now or is it too late?

Edit:  I'm running MC 14.061 (trial).

Thanks!    

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:47:11 pm »

It's probably just not in the internal device table yet. Even if you'd run itunes, it should prevent the ipod from being used, it might just mess up the database though I've had no trouble even with itunes 9 in light testing.
You might want to take a look at the message at the top of this forum and add your ipod info to it. The USB device ID might be nice to have too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up