INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SSD & thumbnails  (Read 888 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
SSD & thumbnails
« on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:30 pm »

Question for JRiver: would you alter the thumbnail loading behavior when the library and its thumbnails are hosted on an SSD drive? (something like a user option to enable it or not).

If we take a movie in TheaterView, displaying its poster (when displayed big) always goes low-res (but fast) thumb to high-res (but supposedly slow) thumb, creating an obvious snap-into-place behavior for the said poster.
In standard view thumbs for... whatever, when choose to resize them are always loaded small-medium-big thumbs - real sized cover (if it exists for certain elements). I understand the performance reasoning behind this technique but this reason is not valid anymore in SSD world.

I can make a 1080p movie showing mad-fast scrolling with thumbs loading with supreme fluency in Theater View from the SSD.

Could we aim straight up for the higher (highest) thumbs and take advantage of the awesome I/O of SSD?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: SSD & thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »

The high-res snap-in is after the full image loads in a background thread.  In many cases, this will come from reading the image out of the file tag.  If the file is on an SSD, it'll happen faster but it'll always take a little time.

And aren't SSDs awesome?  I got one a while ago and it was maybe the biggest "wow" hardware upgrade since getting my first 3D card (a Voodoo).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up