INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to apply Replay Gain permanently to a file?  (Read 5613 times)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Is there a way to apply Replay Gain permanently to a file?
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:47:51 am »

My current portable doesn't do anything with replaygain values, so I've used the program "MP3 Gain" to apply Track Gain to my mp3 files.  This works fine, but I'd rather do everything with MC 14.

I'd like to be able to select a volume level and have MC adjust the mp3 files to that level.  Even if it did so only when syncing to a handheld. 

I don't think MC14 has this ability currently, but I wanted to ask because I'm often surprised at what MC does do that I wasn't aware of.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: Is there a way to apply Replay Gain permanently to a file?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 05:35:04 pm »

I don't know if it is possible in MC, but a free program called MP3 Gain will do it.  I believe it uses the replay gain tags to determine the amount of reduction. As I understand it, the process is reversible as well, but you may have to save a log or do something else to have the restore data available.

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:46:32 pm »

AFAIK not doable, MC uses Replay Gain only.

Replay Gain values are stored as metadata (ID3V2 tags for MP3). And that is all, the players that know how to use that information do so, the others - not. Unfortunately your portable player falls in the last category.

MP3Gain uses the MP3 format structure and it modifies/retains the volume level of each compressed frame in the stream, altering the file per se, but in a lossless (reversible) manner. The tags MP3Gain writes (in APEv2 format) represent undo information, so you can revert back to the original loudness should you choose so.

So in one case is just tags (Replay Gain) and a player needs to know how to deal with them. The other case (MP3Gain) the file is physically altered while having undo tags embedded, so any player will play it at the loudness indicated, regardless if it knows or not what to do with the tags.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 12:07:41 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm familiar with MP3 Gain as I mentioned earlier, but I appreciate the explanation of how the program differs from using Replay Gain.  I thought maybe MC has an option that works like MP3 Gain, but it looks like it doesn't. 

When I use my portable, I usually shuffle a bunch of tracks, so I like having even volume levels.  My understanding is that MP3 Gain shouldn't affect the sound quality of the file (or only very little at worst), just the volume.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:30:31 am »

Hey BullishDad,

You asked a great question and opened up some queries I have as well.

• I encode only to FLAC and Ogg
  • In seeing the issue with MP3, does analyzing my audio, do anything whatsoever for my FLAC and Ogg audio files, Except, maybe if I play them on my PC using MC 14?
  • I am getting the feeling that MC14 does not keep the Audio Gain or Volume Leveling with a FLAC or Ogg file ?
  • Is it better to first rip audio media to WAV, then convert to FLAC, then Ogg as well as to copy the source media ?
  • What version of LAME, and what FLAC and Ogg encoders does MC 14 use ??
  • Does anyone find my style of using list boxes helpful, or more confusing when asking questions ? (I am asking that sincerely).

Thank you as always for your help.

Jon

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:05:39 am »

I'm familiar with MP3 Gain as I mentioned earlier...

Ooops :P I completely missed that when I first read your post...

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:11 am »

Jolo, be assured that when MC analyzes your FLAC and OGG files it does not change them in any harmful way.

The benefit of Replay Gain is that it only places a value in the tag, and it's up to the player (software or hardware) to use that value to provide volume leveling.

While I use APE for lossless and MP3 for lossy, it appears that MC14 does write Replay Gain values into FLAC and OGG tags.  This is not harmful, nor does it change the sound quality in any way.

Because FLAC and WAV are both lossless formats, I see no reason to rip first in WAV. Just use MC14 to rip to FLAC.

I don't know what the versions are of the encoders that MC14 uses.  However, I am confident that the developers have chosen a version that is stable and does the job well.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

This raises a question for me.  I recently converted to flac from ape.  Does MC create a flac tag or does it continue to use the ID3 tag?

Tunetyme

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

MC uses the official "Flac tags" aka Vorbis comments with FLAC files. ID3 tags are only used with MP3 files.

The recent MC14 builds also use the official format for the track replay gain values in the FLAC tags. This makes the values compatible with many other programs and devices.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 10:01:18 pm »

Alex,

Will existing values be updated automatically or do you need to "Update tags from library" or something along those lines?

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:23 am »

MC doesn't automatically retag files unless something triggers tag writing.

In addition to keeping the values in the library MC14 can still read the old replay gain tags so it isn't necessary to retag all files. The new format will be applied whenever MC writes FLAC tags.

If you want to apply the new format to all FLAC files then you can create a list of them and do "select all" > Update Tags (from library).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:38 am »

Alex:

Where can I learn more about flac tags and what I can do with them?

Tunetyme

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:10 am »

For instance: http://flac.sourceforge.net/, http://www.xiph.org/, http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=67, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VorbisComment

What would you like to know? I think the replay gain part is pretty much covered here.

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 04:41:48 am »

BullishDad, ;D

If you assure me, then I am am totally assured.
I learn so much from these forums.

I do think, that in the world of multi-media in general, I have learned not to assume and what I don't know, I don't know. Better to ask.   
Thank you.

Jon

Jolo, be assured that when MC analyzes your FLAC and OGG files it does not change them in any harmful way.

The benefit of Replay Gain is that it only places a value in the tag, and it's up to the player (software or hardware) to use that value to provide volume leveling.

While I use APE for lossless and MP3 for lossy, it appears that MC14 does write Replay Gain values into FLAC and OGG tags.  This is not harmful, nor does it change the sound quality in any way.

Because FLAC and WAV are both lossless formats, I see no reason to rip first in WAV. Just use MC14 to rip to FLAC.

I don't know what the versions are of the encoders that MC14 uses.  However, I am confident that the developers have chosen a version that is stable and does the job well.

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:42 am »

Thanks Alex! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up