INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Party Mode Problems (8.0.318)  (Read 1518 times)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
Party Mode Problems (8.0.318)
« on: July 07, 2002, 08:51:38 pm »

Seems you can do things you shouldn't be able to do while in Party Mode...

From the menus and toolbar you can get to the plug-in and skin managers, control the media server, and change the library.  Although the "Options" option is disabled in the settings menu, you can get to it via the toolbar.  Changes you make will stick.

If you do change the library, you leave party mode without entering a password and have full control again.  If you exit MJ and return, you'll be back in party mode but by that time...

OK, I know it wasn't designed to protect nuclear missile silos but if you're in party mode and do a help search on "party" you get the nice tip that tells you how to get out of party mode without knowing the password.

My opinion:  In party mode all menus and toolbar actions should be disabled except those in "View" and "Player".  Even "Help" should be disabled.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:Party Mode Problems (8.0.318)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 09:34:40 pm »

Party Mode, as I understand it, is only meant to protect the DB.
Currently, Party Mode any changes you make to Library don't stick thank heavens, but RemyJ is right, configuration changes are still going into the registry and so stick.

The current party mode is OK but there should be more, I think.
For V9 I suggest that there be two types of database protected states.

One as it is now (or was intended to be) wherein you can browse, search, play, create temporary playlists etc, but with database and registry protected.

The other would be a true "Party Mode".
In this mode everything would be disabled except:
1) Browsing and searching the library
2) Adding individual songs to "Playing Now" - provided that they are not already in "Playing Now"
3) Ten seconds of inactivity triggers full screen visualisations.
4) MJ is mega-ised and always on top.

Like a smart jukebox.
One that prevents your drunken, fun-loving, wacked out friends from messing with your music database, your PC generally and hence your equilibrium, thereby allowing you to step out on the verandah for a nonchalant toke.

RemyJ

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 12:55:12 pm »

At least the ability to leave party mode without a password by switching libraries should be a bug.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 07:48:23 pm »

In MJ8.0.315, I had Party Mode on the other night.  I noticed that Reset for the Recently Played and Top Hits list was grayed out--and that's good.  But when I came back to the system after about an hour, somebody had done something that cleared both lists.  They did not know the Party Mode password, and they did not switch libraries (there's only one).  Any idea what happened?

I would also like to eventually see a stronger party mode option.  Something short of going to a locked screen saver mode.

Scronch

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2002, 08:35:04 pm »

You don't actually have to change to a different library to unlock the options.  Do "File", "Library", then click on the only library and you'll leave party mode.  BTW, It will still say "Party Mode" in the title bar.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Scronch

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2002, 08:58:34 pm »

That may have been it.  I don't remember if Party Mode was off when I got back.  That definitely needs to be cleaned up.  Some nasty person could really mess with your database.

Related non-MJ question: Is there a way to "lock" the users into staying within MJ, i.e. they can't pop open Windows Explorer and blow away your music files?

Scronch

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2002, 02:11:10 am »

From above

The other would be a true "Party Mode".
In this mode everything would be disabled except:
1) Browsing and searching the library
2) Adding individual songs to "Playing Now" - provided that they are not already in "Playing Now"
3) Ten seconds of inactivity triggers full screen visualisations.
4) MJ is mega-ised and always on top.

Like a smart jukebox.
One that prevents your drunken, fun-loving, wacked out friends from messing with your music database, your PC generally and hence your equilibrium, thereby allowing you to step out on the verandah for a nonchalant toke

When I say "always on top" I mean on top of every thing including the task bar.

RemyJ

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2002, 07:42:52 am »

>>Related non-MJ question: Is there a way to "lock" the users into staying within MJ, i.e. they can't pop open Windows Explorer and blow away your music files?

Hmmm.  Actually, this topic came up at work recently.  One of my developers was looking into making an application replace the desktop.  In older versions of Windows, this was easy.  Not sure anymore.  If we find an easy way, I'll post the answer.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

AlonsoN

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2002, 10:57:06 am »

Cali-

Have your IP.

From now on you will toke chalant-ly.

-The Mgmnt

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2002, 02:36:51 pm »

Chalant-mode broken beyond repair, sorry.

BigCat21

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2002, 10:46:10 pm »

I agree with the direction of this thread.  I have often wanted a more secure Party Mode.  One that protects all the settings and keeps your friends from messing things up.  They marvel at MJ and want to play with it...
~BC21~

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2002, 03:29:00 pm »

Callithumpian,
> Chalant-mode broken beyond repair, sorry.

Could you use the bug thread on the release, please?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2002, 03:40:18 pm »

Chalant-mode was fully functional in CAL 19.74 and all versions prior.
It became seriously compromised during hormonal system implementation and was then completely atrophied by subsequent, occasionally injudicious, application of a range of Beta substances over a number of builds.
Permanently removed from the feature set with the release of the much more sophisticated and critically acclaimed CAL 19.86.
Development is naturally ongoing but reintroduction of chalant-mode has been unequivocally ruled out.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2002, 05:50:32 pm »

Aha.  Diverting onto my favourite subject - me.
I always fall for that.

Back on topic, c'mon.
Current Pary Mode imposes a psuedo chalant requirement.
It shouldn't.

Here is the opportunity for MJ be even more useful with the implementation of a simple concept.
A mode in which the PC owner is protected from the vagaries of his/her well meaning techno-fool friends.

People see MJ for the first time they are overwhelmed by its glittering brilliance and enter a funk under which they are apparently compelled to do helpful stuff like put the same song in the current playlist seventy two times and reinstall your old video driver over the new one that it took you three days to find and download.

Help protect the MJ licensee from these poor, dazzled individuals by implementing a fair dinkum "Party Mode"
Pages: [1]   Go Up