INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 Taskbar Progress Plugin  (Read 31065 times)

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Windows 7 Taskbar Progress Plugin
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 09:29:15 pm »

Great initiative!!!!
In my case, the cover art works OK (I have the cover image in the same folder as the file), but "display artist and track name" not. Also, I have noticed that a crash occurs when I try to use the Aero Peek. I'm using the last version of MC 16.
Regards.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 10:08:16 am »

They get saved in a default configuration file that the C# compiler creates.  It is possible that on re-install of MC16, this configuration file gets removed, and thus, a new one is created with what I decided were appropriate defaults (although perhaps I should uncheck the default for thumbnails until I have time to solve that little mystery).  The possible solution to this would be to make my own config file, but I need time :S  I'm busy on a work project creating legal documents in PDF format on the fly from HTML pages, so my time is very precious these days :)   After the 60 hour weeks subside, I'll maybe have some time again to look into this.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
http://davidvedvick.info

"Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman." - Anonymous

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:52 pm »

Question for all suffering crashes on cover art: is your taskbar in a position other than the default bottom position?  This seemed to cause crashes for me!  Which is good, since I haven't been able to reproduce crashes!

If this is indeed the problem, then this problem may take some more research, in which case I recommend disabling the cover art option until i can figure out the solution.  Thanks all. I will also release a new executable that has cover art disabled by default again, and will look into the changed settings  not showing up.

Thanks everybody!

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:37 am »

I had some crashing with your plugin and cover art. I have my taskbar docked at the left (so: no default position).

Moving it to default position indeed solves the crashing!

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 01:37:08 pm »

I had some crashing with your plugin and cover art. I have my taskbar docked at the left (so: no default position).

Moving it to default position indeed solves the crashing!

Great!  Well, not so great, because you can't use your computer like you want to, but great because it helps confirm my suspicions as to what's causing the problem from a high level perspective.   Now I just need to figure out how Windows handles it and why it blows up on this....

Thanks StFeder!

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:48 pm »

Hi danrien.
In my case it crashes when I close with the mouse to the CoverArt (Aero Peek), and when I change between windows with ALT + TAB, when I select the JRiver thumbnail preview, it crashes.
PD:I'm using the taskbar in default position(bottom).

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »

Welp, it appears I'm not dead yet!  I've got a major banking project knocked out and so now I have a little time to devote to my own interests.... in the meantime I've learned a lot about Version Control, learned a little bit about organizing my code better, etc., and so I have some major news on this stuff:

First of all, a new release, that doesn't exhibit the bug we last had.  Yes, I finally found the source of the bug, it was related to the library I was using screenshots for on request for a window Preview by Media Center.

Secondly, I've created a Google Code project for this.  Since I'm a little groggy coming off the coffee and such, I didn't mess with ignoring the binaries and all that stuff, and there's a bunch of backup copies from when I had to do a restore from a backup. So in other words, in spite of all I've learned of Source Control, the source is still a complete mess.

Anyways, the new version is available at: http://code.google.com/p/j-river-media-center-windows-7-shell-integration/downloads/detail?name=MC_Taskbar_Plugin_0_8.exe

The source code is available as well, of course.

Thanks!
David

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »

Perfect. Excellent work.

Very good.

Thanks,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2011, 07:35:45 am »

thnx.

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 09:58:27 am »

Nice work. It works!!
But, far as I remember, this plugin add some extra features like cover art instead of thumbnail, track title, track artist,etc. This doesn't work anymore?
Any plan to add this features?

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:23 pm »

It should still work.  You need to enable it in the plug-in settings.

Fabricio

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:25 am »

It should still work.  You need to enable it in the plug-in settings.

Sorry, but only taskbar progress. Not show track title, track artist,etc. Why?

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2011, 10:09:48 am »

Sorry, but only taskbar progress. Not show track title, track artist,etc. Why?

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Have you enabled those features in the plug-in settings?

Fabricio

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:07 am »

Have you enabled those features in the plug-in settings?

When enable cover art thumbnail not show cover art and not show progress indicator type.

Not problem: display artist and track name in the title bar and show progress indicator type.

Cover art not show, only show icon media center. Why?

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2011, 01:54:39 pm »

I'm sure it's nothing you're doing Fabricio, I'll continue looking into it but it's a little frustrating since I can't see it happening and it works fine for me on my 3 computers :-/.  Can you send me a screen shot of this occurring?

Fabricio

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

I'm sure it's nothing you're doing Fabricio, I'll continue looking into it but it's a little frustrating since I can't see it happening and it works fine for me on my 3 computers :-/.  Can you send me a screen shot of this occurring?

Look:

When enable cover art thumbnail not show cover art and not show progress indicator type.

Do you understand?

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2011, 07:24:05 pm »

Hm does it have something to do with that other plug-in ("DFX9 JRiver") you have running?  Have you tried disabling that? 

rick.ca

« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »

The plugin has never displayed cover art for me. I assume that's why the option is labelled "buggy." I'd be happy if I could just disable it, but my settings are still lost with every update of the program.

Fabricio

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2011, 07:44:35 pm »

Hm does it have something to do with that other plug-in ("DFX9 JRiver") you have running?  Have you tried disabling that?  

Disable DFX, but not work cover art thumbnail.

Sorry ... and now?

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »

The plugin has never displayed cover art for me. I assume that's why the option is labelled "buggy." I'd be happy if I could just disable it, but my settings are still lost with every update of the program.

I assume you mean when you install a new version of Media Center?  I'm going to chalk this up to something that gets reset on their end, and so consider this minor, I have much more major issues to focus on.  The important part to me is that the new version isn't causing crashes for you anymore.  Is this correct?

Disable DFX, but not work cover art thumbnail.

Sorry ... and now?

Not sure, let's keep working through it... send me a new screenshot, and if you can, bigger this time.  Also, if you want to chat about it more quickly, let me know I can send you my gmail.

Also, I'm going to create a new thread, just put out a new release, it has major enough release notes that it merits is own thread, so this one will be discontinued (if I can do that?).

rick.ca

« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:10 pm »

I assume you mean when you install a new version of Media Center?  I'm going to chalk this up to something that gets reset on their end, and so consider this minor, I have much more major issues to focus on.  The important part to me is that the new version isn't causing crashes for you anymore.  Is this correct?

What's important to you, of course, is your business. I'm a beta tester, so program is updated about four times a week. A plugin that reverts to defaults that don't work is a PITA. If displaying cover art is "buggy" and it's going to stay that way, maybe it shouldn't be the default.

But it doesn't really matter. The main purpose of my comment was to point out what Fabrico is experiencing is something that hasn't changed since the beginning for me. That may be a clue as to what his problem is, although I don't know if it worked for him before.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

What's important to you, of course, is your business. I'm a beta tester, so program is updated about four times a week. A plugin that reverts to defaults that don't work is a PITA. If displaying cover art is "buggy" and it's going to stay that way, maybe it shouldn't be the default.

But it doesn't really matter. The main purpose of my comment was to point out what Fabrico is experiencing is something that hasn't changed since the beginning for me. That may be a clue as to what his problem is, although I don't know if it worked for him before.

Errr... okay.  I'm developing this in my free time, when I'm not working 60-70 hour weeks, so priorities must be made.

Is it still crashing for you though, even though it doesn't display the cover art?

rick.ca

« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »

Is it still crashing for you though, even though it doesn't display the cover art?

No, it doesn't crash. Just a spinning disk when it's selected. Selecting and deselecting the option will switch between a spinning disc (on) and a normal peek image (off) while something is playing. Conversely, switching the setting before or after play or before or after restarting the program has no impact on the behaviour. In other words, it seems like it can't find the cover, not that anything else is wrong.

Would the cover art location make any difference? Mine are saved in the same folder as the file, and embedded.

I'm testing this, BTW, with the just posted 0.8.1 version. I haven't yet noticed in differences. I did, however, just try changing MC versions (to the previous one, then back to the current), and my settings (cover off, track name on) were retained. Although I wasn't paying attention, I'm pretty sure the last update (with version 0.8.0 installed) a few hours ago resulted in the settings changing. Did you change something in 0.8.1 that might affect this?

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2011, 10:35:37 pm »

No, it doesn't crash. Just a spinning disk when it's selected. Selecting and deselecting the option will switch between a spinning disc (on) and a normal peek image (off) while something is playing. Conversely, switching the setting before or after play or before or after restarting the program has no impact on the behaviour. In other words, it seems like it can't find the cover, not that anything else is wrong.

Would the cover art location make any difference? Mine are saved in the same folder as the file, and embedded.

I'm testing this, BTW, with the just posted 0.8.1 version. I haven't yet noticed in differences. I did, however, just try changing MC versions (to the previous one, then back to the current), and my settings (cover off, track name on) were retained. Although I wasn't paying attention, I'm pretty sure the last update (with version 0.8.0 installed) a few hours ago resulted in the settings changing. Did you change something in 0.8.1 that might affect this?

Nope, but I'm happy to hear it's working :).  While your hypothesis is a good one about the cover art, I'm simply making a call API provided by MC, which is supposed to actually generate an image of a certain resolution (I'm trying not to get to technical here) for me based off the cover art image provided to MC irregardless of location, so it is out of my control.  My best guess is that you don't store images in the media file, which I always have, and that could be the one difference. I'm gonna switch the type of Image call I make to MC, are you willing to test an executable if I PM it to you?  I would like to know if it works before bragging about fixing it ;)

rick.ca

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2011, 10:49:08 pm »

My best guess is that you don't store images in the media file, which I always have, and that could be the one difference.

I do. That's what I meant by "embedded."

I'm gonna switch the type of Image call I make to MC, are you willing to test an executable if I PM it to you?

I'm happy to try it, if you think it might make a difference.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »

Hmm. Well your settings are the same exact as mine.  Since I can't send attachments with this BB, I just uploaded it via FTP to my server.  Download it from here: http://www.devedcomputers.com/MediaCenterAddOns/MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin.exe

Let me know how it works, and if it's a positive result then I'll post a new release.

rick.ca

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:17 am »

Let me know how it works...

As Thomas Edison might say, "There's one more way it doesn't work." ;)

Instead of spinning disc, the peek image flickers. The flickering appears to be caused by another peek image about 1/4 the the size of the original appearing for a split second (i.e., too fast to see clearly). Even after play is stopped and the cover art option deselected, the peek window remains and the taskbar doesn't respond.

Another possibility: I believe I've used a registry-hack to make my peek images larger than standard. Could that be causing the problem? I'll try to figure out how I did that, and set it back to the default...

Another unrelated and minor comment: Consider changing the name of the registry key from MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin to "Aero Taskbar" so that (or some other) friendly name appears in the tree and on it's tab.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:04 am »

As Thomas Edison might say, "There's one more way it doesn't work." ;)

Instead of spinning disc, the peek image flickers. The flickering appears to be caused by another peek image about 1/4 the the size of the original appearing for a split second (i.e., too fast to see clearly). Even after play is stopped and the cover art option deselected, the peek window remains and the taskbar doesn't respond.

Another possibility: I believe I've used a registry-hack to make my peek images larger than standard. Could that be causing the problem? I'll try to figure out how I did that, and set it back to the default...

Another unrelated and minor comment: Consider changing the name of the registry key from MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin to "Aero Taskbar" so that (or some other) friendly name appears in the tree and on it's tab.

haha well my whiskey is too empty for me to answer this with a clear mind tonight, but let me know if that is the issue.  if you find the registry hack, i would be interested to know what it is so that i can try it myself.  obviously i can't test for all users, but the more types of exotic cases i can get in the better.

rick.ca

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 12:46:57 am »

The answer is "yes and no." Yes, it seems it was the cause of the flickering. But no, it's not the cause of the original problem. With the taskbar thumbnail size reset to default, I still get the spinning disc (which eventually becomes the MC icon) with both 0.8.1 and the test version of the plugin.

The "hack" is actually a tool: Increase the size of Taskbar Preview Thumbnails in Windows 7.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 07:30:26 am »

hm.  well i ran your tool and was still able to display clip art in the preview window without issue.  at this point, i don't really know how much more i can do, it comes down to MC sending me the right image back.  the only thing i can suggest is uninstalling/disabling all other plug-ins and/or resetting all of your MC settings back to default and see if one of those causes the conflict.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 11:43:16 am »

danrien,

I've discovered a problem with your plugin. If MC is runing for an extended period of time, more than eight hours, it causes slowdowns. For example, it can take up to 5 seconds for the program to minimise, or up to seven seconds to display an image file full screen, then another seven seconds to get back to standard view.

Restarting MC restores things to normal. Maybe I'm not your typical case, leaving MC running all the time, but thought you might be interested none the less.

-marko

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »

Hey Marko, thanks for the feedback! You know I appreciate it even when my job is taking away all my time. Finally got around to fixing a couple of major bugs, so I updated the version to .91.

Here's the link to download:
http://j-river-media-center-windows-7-shell-integration.googlecode.com/files/MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin_0_9_1.exe

I'm not sure if this will fix your issue, but I would guess that it could have been caused my a memory leak that I finally found and fixed in this version.

Fabricio

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »

Hey Marko, thanks for the feedback! You know I appreciate it even when my job is taking away all my time. Finally got around to fixing a couple of major bugs, so I updated the version to .91.

http://j-river-media-center-windows-7-shell-integration.googlecode.com/files/MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin_0_9_1.exe

I'm not sure if this will fix your issue, but I would guess that it could have been caused my a memory leak that I finally found and fixed in this version.

Thanks, but when "Enable Cover Art Thumbnail", NOT SHOW COVER ART. See msm:

The Stack Trace Follows:
   em Windows7.DesktopIntegration.Windows7Taskbar.SetIconicThumbnail(IntPtr hwnd, Bitmap bitmap) na D:\JRiver-Media-Center-Windows-7-Shell-Integration\Windows7.DesktopIntegration\Windows7Taskbar.cs:linha 181
   em MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin.JrMainWindow.SetThumbnailPreview(Bitmap thumbBmp) na D:\JRiver-Media-Center-Windows-7-Shell-Integration\MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin\MainInterface.cs:linha 749
   em MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin.MainInterface.setThumbnail(String currentFile, Size thumbnailSize) na D:\JRiver-Media-Center-Windows-7-Shell-Integration\MC_Aero_Taskbar_Plugin\MainInterface.cs:linha 539
The following Inner Exception was caused
when calling Method Void SetIconicThumbnail(IntPtr, System.Drawing.Bitmap)
The Failure Occured In Class Object: Windows7.DesktopIntegration
A Fatal error has occured: O valor não recai no intervalo esperado.
Plugin Initiated OK

And now? I use MC 17.0.170.

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2012, 03:37:40 pm »

I don't know man, you have an odd way of having issues no one else does. Hard to tell you what's going on.

Fabricio

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2012, 04:03:59 pm »

you have an odd way of having issues.

heheheheh :D :D :D :D :D

Ok, thanks,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2012, 04:05:58 pm »

Keep your eyes open though, you never know when the next release might come out and fix it by some miracle ;). I do look through the errors though. I just don't like to code ALL THE TIME :).

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2012, 04:10:24 pm »

And of course, now that I push the code to Google Code, you always have the option of fixing it yourself. I actually feel like I have the code in a solid enough state where it should be fairly easy to change yourself if you have a lot of (or some, in my case) experience programming for WinForms/Win32 :).

Fabricio

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:39 pm »

And of course, now that I push the code to Google Code, you always have the option of fixing it yourself. I actually feel like I have the code in a solid enough state where it should be fairly easy to change yourself if you have a lot of (or some, in my case) experience programming for WinForms/Win32 :).

Sorry, I dont have experience programming for WinForms/Win32.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

When being intalled the plugin v. 0.9.1 and run the MC for the first time displayed the album cover. After not.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2012, 01:52:43 am »

Morning danrien,
I finally got around to reinstalling today. Will let you know how it fairs.
I uninstalled version .8 prior to installing .91, but plugin manager still thinks that I have version .8 installed. Both MC and server were closed during the uninstall and update.

-marko

Fabricio

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:14 am »

Morning danrien,
I uninstalled version .8 prior to installing .91, but plugin manager still thinks that I have version .8 installed. Both MC and server were closed during the uninstall and update.

-marko

+1

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:03 am »

Morning danrien,
I finally got around to reinstalling today. Will let you know how it fairs.

-marko

Marko, this one is easy: I forgot to update the version number in the installer! I'll get around to that tonight and release a new version with the correct version number.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »

Alright, a new version is out, with some other fixes, which include:

• Regression: Pause now changes progress to yellow as before
  • Regression: Waiting status now changes progress to indeterminate (cycling progress bar without begin or end)
  • Correct Version Number in installer

Get it here, as usual. http://machine.devedcomputers.com/category/coding/jr-mc-win7/

Fabricio

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »

Alright, a new version is out, with some other fixes, which include:

• Regression: Pause now changes progress to yellow as before
  • Regression: Waiting status now changes progress to indeterminate (cycling progress bar without begin or end)
  • Correct Version Number in installer

Get it here, as usual. http://machine.devedcomputers.com/category/coding/jr-mc-win7/

My friend,

Now is working correctly. Show cover art. I'm happy.

Excellent work.

Thanks,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Fabricio

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2012, 01:53:21 pm »

Hello,

Sometimes, the cover art thumbnail for me:

Why?

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

danrien

• Galactic Citizen
  • Chillin
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2012, 02:38:59 pm »

Hello,

Sometimes, the cover art thumbnail for me:

Why?

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

It's just some odd Windows behavior.... I'll keep it as a low-ticket item to look at, since I've noticed it too (specifically when using DisplayFusion for multi-monitor systems). Thanks for bringing it up or I might have forgotten about it, Fabricio....

Fabricio

« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

It's just some odd Windows behavior.... I'll keep it as a low-ticket item to look at, since I've noticed it too (specifically when using DisplayFusion for multi-monitor systems). Thanks for bringing it up or I might have forgotten about it, Fabricio....

Ok.

Fabricio, from Brazil.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up