INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto fix album year  (Read 1669 times)

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Auto fix album year
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:13:22 am »

Hi all, I have quite a lot of albums which have no year value in their tag.
Is there a way to auto populate them. With a 5,000,000 performer store can
MC use that as a data source?

Rgds...Ross

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto fix album year
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:40:13 am »

The tool 'Lookup Track Info From YADB' might help you.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:16:46 am »

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if I had any blank dates and then tried the Locate Track Info from YADB. I had to go through about 10 albums until it finally found one and then of course it filled in every field which in my case was incorrect for that song so had to Undo. Unfortunately not a solution for just one field like the OP wanted.
Jeff

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:13 am »

+1

it would be really nice if we could pick and choose which fields we allowed it to populate.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:53:46 pm »

it would be really nice if we could pick and choose which fields we allowed it to populate.
I like this too, at least in theory. But it gets stickier when the auto-results aren't "what you want".
As it is now, you might have a song originally released in 1985 on an LP, but has since been released in 1995 and 2005 on Best Of collections. Currently (from my limited experience) YADB is almost as likely to return one of the Best Of albums/years as it is the original album/year. So what do you want to happen in this situation? Take the year of the Best Of and attach it to the original album? Prompt you for an answer due to the mismatch in metadata? Something else?
It's certainly not an impossible problem, just pointing out that due to the nature of a database it's also not as simple as it might seem.
I use another auto-meta-download tool and there's decent handling of the issue, but unfortunately due to the nature of the business and music releases I don't think there will ever be anything that's spot on.
That seems like enough rambling.
-JB

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:02:56 am »

I've always found the tool 'Look up Track Info From YADB' to be a very poor way of getting metadata. I think it's MC's greatest weakness, ie. the ability to look up metadata for music. Would love some of the features found in mp3tag and some other software in MC.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:31:58 am »

I've always found the tool 'Look up Track Info From YADB' to be a very poor way of getting metadata. I think it's MC's greatest weakness, ie. the ability to look up metadata for music. Would love some of the features found in mp3tag and some other software in MC.

I would agree. It's got one of the best ways to organize metadata, but no reasonable way to retrieve that data itself.

On the other hand though, it does a great job of reading in metadata found by other 3rd party programs. It would indeed be nice to have all related features in one spot, but I've got a decent system/workflow in place with a 3rd party app. It's not perfect, but it does work satisfactorily.

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up