INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26" Monitor  (Read 3709 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
26" Monitor
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:07:49 am »

Anyone here bought a 26" Screen recently?
If so what did you buy?

I'm looking for something for movies.  I was going to buy a TV but decided I didn't have the space.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: 26" Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:43:38 pm »

I haven't seen too many 26s.  There are tons of 24s and 30s, but not too many 26s.  I bet if you do go that route (and don't go with a small HDTV) you're going to end up paying an arm+leg premium.

I'd go with a nice quality 26" 1080p TV (something by Samsung would be good probably).  Or just skip down a step to the 24" monitors.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:44:30 pm »

I'd personally prefer a 31" monitor as I see lots of those sizes.  Very nice and large for computer work.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:36 pm »

Unfortunatley I've got a 26" space!  :)
I tried a 23" there and it was ok, but I figured 26" would be about perfect.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »

Dell makes a very, very, very nice 27" monitor (UltraSharp 2709W) if you think you can squeeze it in there:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=223-9379

It has HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, Component, and VGA inputs.  The resolution is 1900x1200 so it fully supports 1080p.  It is also a S-PVA panel, so you get nice viewing angles and good color accuracy (as opposed to the absolute junk TN panels they put out at the low end and on most HDTVs anymore).  Dimensions (W x D x H): 63.21 cm (24.89") x 20.0 cm (7.87") x 45.19 cm (17.79").

Of course, even on "sale" right now, it is running $800, so...

Another option is Samsung's 2693HM 26" LCD monitor.  However, this is a TN panel so it suffers the normal color and viewing angle problems associated with "cheap" LCDs.  Samsung usually does a very nice job with the TN panels (so it won't be complete junk) but it won't be as nice as a good S-PVA or especially an IPS monitor.  The Samsung is a bit cheaper at $500.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1500995

Both are available right now on Dell.com.

I don't have those exact ones, but my primary display at work is a very nice 24" 16x9 S-PVA Dell monitor, and my secondary monitor is a cheaper 22" TN Samsung.  I like them both a LOT.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:45:14 pm »

I actually got a quote from Dell on that very panel yesterday, as we deal directly with them at work we get cheaper prices.  Even so the price is a hell of a lot higher than the TN Panels.  That said I do like the Dell panels.  My 23" panel is Dell.  I think I might just keep watching it.  Dell Prices do seem to vary considerably daily!

benn600

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:32:03 pm »

I saw a high end NEC 30" monitor...(I meant that, not 31") on Newegg.  I think it was two grand.  But the reviews were stunning beyond belief.  ALSO, currently I have a 24" + 21" monitor.  They are as big as I thought I could get.  This one in particular has an ultra adjustable stand that would actually allow it to fit in my tight space.  Of course my issue is height.  Yours may be width...then I suppose you could turn it to portrait view--which I did do for a few years.  One landscape and one portrait monitor.  It was very useful!  Large full page documents on one, tool-laden applications on widescreen.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 12:55:07 am »

If you are buying any kind of system from Dell; server, desktop, laptop, you can usually add flat panel screens for some very small $$$.  Surprisingly small $$$.

An IT friend of mine does this by policy.  He ALWAYS orders a 24" or larger flat screen when he orders systems.  In that way, he has slowly replaced all of the CRT monitors in his company at about 50% of prices quoted to him by HP and Dell for a bulk purchase of monitors only.

I would ask my friends if any of them are contemplating a purchase from Dell Sometime Soon and if they would be willing to piggyback your monitor order onto their systems order.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 05:23:47 am »

That's clever thinking Newposter... May try that  ;D

benn600

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:19 am »

Then there are some of us who just get addicted to a specific brand so doing something like that (for a different brand) wouldn't really help.

I know my next upgrade to my workstation should be two brand new matching monitors.  My current 24" 21" are as close as you can get without being identical.  Their heights are the same (one wide, one full) so that makes dragging windows between much nicer.  But their brightness/general look are different.  I've tried adjusting with little luck.  I just don't know about two 30" monitors though.  That seems like overkill--like the several month period I had three monitors.

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:44:26 pm »

electronics turn over so often about the only way to get a couple of identical monitors is to buy them at the same time.

Think about it.  HP/Dell/Lenovo/IBM/Apple contract to an OEM factory for a production run of 50000 (pick some number if you disagree with 50k) monitors with specific specs.  Warehouse them and ship as customer demands require.  Keep an eye on the supply chain and sales trends, design a new monitor model when stocks of last years (months?) model get low enough.  Contract for production.  Sell off the remainder of the old units at a discount.  Rinse and repeat as necessary.

benn600

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:50 am »

I agree: buy two at the same time sitting next to eachother or in the same online order.  Then you're most likely to get the same monitor.  And matching them makes all the difference between a seamless connection or an obvious disturbance between the screens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up