INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does 'saving tag changes' message actually mean for m4a files?  (Read 1818 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!

Hi

I am aware that MC doesn't save tags to m4a files, but rather just stores any tag changes in the library.  So I am wondering what the 'saving tag changes' message at the bottom of the screen actually means when i do make changes to tags in MC.  As it counts down is it saving information to the library, or does this happen instantly (the changes seem to be visible instantly in the library), and the countdown is an attempt to write tags to the files, which doesn't actually happen because the filetype is unsupported for tag writing?

The reason for asking is I have made changes to over 20,000 files and am currently looking at a very slow countdown which looks like it will take all day.  If nothing is actually happening then I might as well close down MC (I seem to have to end the MC process as well as the tag changing carries on after I exit MC), and then get on with the next task which is syncing to an iPod.  But if forcing MC to close will somehow affect the info in the library then I will have to wait for the saving tag changes to finish.

I hope this is clear.

Thanks

Nick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What does 'saving tag changes' message actually mean for m4a files?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:53:40 am »

A virus checker?

A network drive?

Killing MC is not a good idea, but MC does make automatic backups.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:38:36 am »

not sure what you mean by virus checker? network drive?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:55:59 am »

Same thing happens with other file types too if you change some field which isn't saved in the tags. Database is updated immediately but then MC starts to go through every file like when it is updating the tags and this takes a long time.
(Haven't tried this in recent builds though so it might be "fixed" now)

For a work around you can disable "update tags" before doing such changes in your library.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:39 pm »

I've run into this as well. I've always assumed that MC just doesn't know that it can't write tag data to these files so it tries to (and fails) anyway. If that is how it works, it might be a good idea for it to maintain a list of untaggable formats and then never attempt to write tags for those filetypes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up