INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image editing - non-intuitive saving  (Read 1931 times)

eba

• Galactic Citizen
Image editing - non-intuitive saving
« on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:22 pm »

After spending a fair bit of time looking for how to save an image after editing it using Media Center, I was about to post to ask how to do it.  I'm sure it was much simpler with the old MC13 editor...

I have now just found it, Save As File, under tools amid all the resize, rotate, sharpen, etc. functions.  Really not the most obvious place!

I was just trying to brighten a picture for use as my facebook profile pic.  I brightened it, clicked on Save and exit, imported it into facebook...and got the original dark version...

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Image editing - non-intuitive saving
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:33:29 pm »

yes, i agree 100%. i used the image editor several times in the past, was always frustrated when save and exit did not realy save the changes in the picture, only some version in the database with all the undo possebilities, but unusable outside mc, or inside mc when talking about coverart. i guess it is nice that it does that, hip, but the less advanced users like me dont understand what is going on. it should be called exit only unchanging the picture with all the fancy stuff on top, and save should be just beside it and really save?

:)
gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:43:05 pm »

Media Center uses parametric image editing.

This means the original file is not degraded or changed.  You can later undo changes.

'Developing' a new version is possible using the 'Save As File' command.

This is similar to how Adobe imaging products work.  They wrote a whitepaper about it: http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/dialogbox/ndi_krogh/phscs3_ndi.pdf
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:08 pm »

that is great, of course, adobe. but the point is the place of the save to file, save & exit saves 'parametricaly' but does not save anything when using it to edit for instance coverart, or images you post on facebook (apparently), or pix01, or when you drag something outside mc. what you see is not what you get when you use other functions inside mc, like sending those pics to pix01 or facebook, or mc's own coverart. so the place of the save image should be on top beside the other options, imo.

btw, apart from the crop function, i think the image editor is nice, really nice.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:12:24 pm »

what you see is not what you get when you use other functions inside mc, like sending those pics to pix01 or facebook, or mc's own coverart.

Changes will be applied on upload to Pix01 and Facebook.

If there are places where changes are not being applied inside the program, it's a bug.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:45:33 pm »

I should add that we'd be happy to find ways to make this more clear to users.  Suggestions welcome.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »

On exit from edit, we could ask, and give the user the chance to always use that decision, or ask each time.

But I think we're not sending the edited file in some cases.  I saw it recently.  I'll do some testing.

Love your product.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:03 pm »

On exit from edit, we could ask, and give the user the chance to always use that decision, or ask each time.

But I think we're not sending the edited file in some cases.  I saw it recently.  I'll do some testing.

Love your product.

In v13, we always showed a dialog that allowed picking how to save the changes and explained each method. 

It was reasonably clear, but also slowed down the flow of editing.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:24 am »

In v13, we always showed a dialog that allowed picking how to save the changes and explained each method. 

It was reasonably clear, but also slowed down the flow of editing.

This is how I was expecting it to work.  How it is now is fine I think, it's just that the Save as file function is hidden in the middle of the tools menu.  On my first attempt I didn't see it there and gave up.  It wasn't till several hours later I had another quick look with the view to posting on Interact if I couldn't find it, that I happened to notice it there.

Changes will be applied on upload to Pix01 and Facebook.

If there are places where changes are not being applied inside the program, it's a bug.

I wasn't uploading using MC.  I do when I've got a lot of photos to upload, but when it's just the one it's too much hassle to go into facebook, unblock applications, go back to MC, upload it, go back to facebook, ignore the 16 new application invites to play pirates and zombies with a load of 'friends' I haven't seen in 15 years and have never even spoken to, block applications again, and approve the photos just uploaded.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:17:22 am »

Please see Point #1 below.

Way back in July I posted some pretty comprehensive feedback with regards to the image editor, and Jim prompted to pick 3 issues that I felt were most important.

Here's a copy/paste of that post:

Which three are most important?

Well now, I've had to give this a fair bit of thought over the weekend, and rolled back to .0.34 to get an editor to work with. The list I came up with, in order of importance...

1. "Send to... > ftp/mail recipient/drives and devices" all use the original file on disk.
   Pix01 and flickr send the file with the edits applied. They should all apply the edits prior to sending.
   I also note that the file that is sent to Flickr is less than half the size of the original file, so figure that there must be some pretty aggressive jpg quality settings going on there. Perhaps consider increasing the
   quality, or giving us a slider. Additionally, I see that the file uploaded to Flickr contains XMP and IPTC tags, but no EXIF data. I fully understand that it's a grey area, but I've always been of the opinion that
   when saving/sending these 'new' files, MC should also preserve the EXIF data, as there's a lot of useful info in there that shouldn't be discarded because of a simple red-eye fix.
   The "Drives and Devices" branch of the "Send To" menu was tested using a USB drive I have here configured as a handheld device. I see that I could have chosen a disc burner here too; I didn't test this option,
   but I would expect that the original file will probably be used there too?

2. Moving/Copying the file to a new disk location using MC.
   When dropping a file with edits at it's new location and selecting the move option, all is good. As expected, MC tracks the file in the database and keeps everything updated.
   Note that even when browsing "My Computer" locations within MC, MC still shows edited versions of files with edits. I feel this is correct.
   When copying files to the drop location however, MC simply copies the original file, without edit info, to the specified location. It does this without warning or prompt. I feel this is incorrect.
   I can envisage instances where both may be desirable, but, I figure it's far more likely that the end user will be blissfully unaware that the source file contains edits and believe that he/she will be making a file
   copy of the file that they see before them. This situation requires a prompt, or warning, possibly with a 'don't show again' option.

3. Confusion with editor history list and file saving.
   Here's a test file I was messing around with. I put in two text stamps, then some white balance, and finally, a third text stamp.

That's the history list above. This is great while edits are saved in the library, as later on, you can load up the editor and roll back changes. This is not so great if you save as file:

If you save the changes to the original file, then close the editor and the preview window, then open them back up again, you should note the following (using the example history list shown above)

• The white balance has been re-applied to the image, washing it out.
  • In the history list, selecting "White Balance" does not remove the final text stamp.
  • In the history list, selecting the second text stamp removes the "White Balance" adjustment.
  • If you now press "save and close", then open again, the second text stamp remains selected in the history list.
  • Despite the fact that MC is applying a double-dose of white balance, and displaying little x's beside the history items, the edits cannot be removed.

So, I feel that....
   After saving changes to the original file, the history list should be removed completely.

If you save the changes to a new file, everything as far as the editor is concerned is hunkey-dorey; there is no history to get confused about.
   Sadly, there is also not one single tag block in this new file. No EXIF, no XMP, no IPTC, no MJMD, and MC then imports this new file and gives it the windows modified time and date as it's data rather than the
   time and date the original photo was actually taken.
   Once again I'll say that I'm a strong proponent of propogating all existing tags from the original to the edited file upon any save/upload/send action. Aside from the fact that it's essentially a "new file" so you
   could argue that applying metadata from it's source would falsify information about this new image, in real world usage, I can't imagine anyone not wanting their tags propogated, and if my gut feeling is
   correct, then there will be a small minority who really don't want the tags, and for those peeps, there's the "remove tags" tool.

Did you see what I tried to do with the 'text stamp' tool there (in the pix01 link above)?
How good would it be if it could accept library fields and expressions too? Also, it would be nice if the bounding box for the text would expand as needed, and also accept multi-line text entry.

I've only made some quick tests focussing on how MC will deal with edited files vs original file on disk, rather than the individual editor tools themselves, which are sure to come under scrutiny as the editor/preview combination makes it out into the wild!!

Another thing touched upon was perhaps offering a visual indicator that an image contained edits, such as a discreet, optional, overlay icon.
I figured that so long as the issues above were addressed, and we have complete confidence that MC will always use the edited version of the file when sending anywhere, and that it will propogate all tag blocks from the original file to the outgoing file, then we shouldn't really need the overlay. It might be nice, but it's nowhere near as important (for me) as the the chosen three issues.
If you do persue this avenue of development, and the overlay icon doesn't make the cut, perhaps consider adding the following search item to the default image "quickies" list: -[edit info]=[] to allow users to quickly list all files that they've edited.

This post has taken an age to compose, I hope you find it helpful!!

-marko.

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:00 am »

let me appologies. im pretty sure i saw it with pix01, and assumed it was the default behaviour.  :-[
will be allert when i see it again.  :)

one of the things i do alot, besides using it to repair some bad coverart, is taking a screenshot, crop it, pull it to my desktop, and post it as an attachment for a post in, mostly, this forum. i do understand that the changes applied in mc do not copy with the original file when just pulling it outside, but it happens oft that i just use save and exit, and the file, ofcourse, did not change (same with coverart).
would it not be an option when it would be just besides the save and exit.

and what marco said about data getting preserved when saving it to an other file. although i really need to play around a bit more before making assumption again.

gab

jamesenjoy4now

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 06:46:20 pm »

Can anyone tell me where to find/ access the 'image/photo editor'?  i noticed this functionality is referenced often in various posts but despite hours of searching, reading in every aspect of MC forums, wiki, online manual, plug ins - i cant find if this tool really exists and if so where to find it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »

Can anyone tell me where to find/ access the 'image/photo editor'?  i noticed this functionality is referenced often in various posts but despite hours of searching, reading in every aspect of MC forums, wiki, online manual, plug ins - i cant find if this tool really exists and if so where to find it.
Right click on any image and you'll find "edit image".

You can also find it from the image preview.  It's a little icon in the upper left corner of each image.

Make sure you have a recent version.  14.0.101 is at the top of the MC14 board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up