INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The RIAA - A Dog Devouring Its Own Tail???  (Read 1451 times)

Harry The Hipster

The RIAA - A Dog Devouring Its Own Tail???
« on: July 07, 2002, 10:54:18 am »

Just caught up with Wednesday's Wall Street Journal - I'd been traveling.

Seems the major companies, led by Sony and Vivendi/Universal, are in the early stages of preparing a lawsuit against some of the P2P users with the largest libraries, and those who are acting as supernodes. (No, I'm not having you on.) They're going to subpoena ISPs to run down the real identities beyond the stage names.

At the same time, Howard Berman, a lawmaker from CA, is preparing legislation that would protect the companies if they planted Trojan Horse files on the networks - dummy files, even files loaded with viruses, etc.

Seems to me they could more productively spend their time preparing a marketing and distribution plan that recognizes digital music as an entirely new market and configures their product to consumer demand. But rational thinking has been in remakably short supply in that crowd.

HTH

Listening to: 'Collagen Lips' from 'Shades of Jazz - Volume 1' by 'Claire Martin' on Media Jukebox    

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:The RIAA - A Dog Devouring Its Own Tail???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 11:43:52 am »

Hey Harry, still wearing tie-died shirts and sandles?

Not to defend the RIAA, but as representatives of the legal owners of music have a tough problem to solve.  They have to convince people to pay $10 or $15 a month to get something they can "borrow" for free right now.  I think they have a dual strategy:

1.  Establish legal subscription services; and

2.  Put out the forest fires of illegal sharing.

You must admit that they feel they are within their rights to do that.  They could do a better job of communicating what their point of view.  They don't come across well.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 12:00:09 pm »

I agree that they have the right to purse offenders (in particular large abusers)...

but I also believe if they had come up with a no nonsense 10/15 $ service (ala Emusic) a while ago, we would be in a different situation now. Sure, I've heard the statement that it's not easy and that they did not even have the rights etc... but I believe this is not the main reason why they did not offer those services eraly on.

I won't even get in the PR strategies...

Claudio

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 12:01:46 pm »

JimH

NO!
They are not trying to convince people to pay $15 a month to get that they get free now

If they give ALL catalogues on free format for $15 a month,the only problem they will have is to get monster server because MILLIONS people will pay the $15

They will NEVER succes to close the p2p services.Do you want a  list of the new ones and not in the USA ?

The p2p will close when people will find easier to download from a
place when they pay $15 a month that to mess around with p2p
And get ,as you say,the same thing:songs free to burn,to put on players and so on

Listening to: 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (Full Album)' from 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot' by 'Wilco' on Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 12:05:33 pm »

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 12:42:43 pm »

Hehe

A Dog Devouring Its Own Tail???

NO.. more like a dog that's buried its tail in the back yard so no one can find it, and now can't find it for itself.

The whole argument goes far and beyond p2p and sharing. It is primarily about control, secondly about money, and artists come way way down the list.

Whether you are talking about classical or pop music, one major problem is there is not enough "new" music out there. The record companies invest in soap boxes, not the detergent. When you have recordings of 15 different artists performing a work or a song, who wants a sixteenth? You might do if 12 or even 14 of those recordings were not on current release, and not readily available.

Their archives are vast, and they can't really afford to make the whole lot available on e-subscription, the market would be so short term, and "new" artists and hence "new" profits would suffer. They are desparate to engage in the e-idea, ensure they are the only source and then get back to restricting supply, to retain bouyant demand.

The stretching to fit of copyright laws needs to stop, and recognise that at some point perfomances/recordings of (CD quality) music will
become public domain. Trouble is, even if in 50 years time you have the Beatles and Herbert von Karajan recordings in the public domain, who is going to buy a "new artist" performing "Yesterday" or a new interpretation of Beethoven's 6th Symphony?

In the olden days (rember them JimH?) before the gramaphone, music publishers used to commission composers and song writers. The music companies should be looking for real writing talent in all its forms, not the glitzy, sexy performers with their outrageous ways to promote them, trawling up the same old tired material.

It is the p2p activity in the realm of the older material, that is really eating the RIAA. This is the stuff their members can churn out in compilation/clebration/memorial albums year on year, with low cost and high profit.

From what I hear from the "inside", piracy of new releases is almost encouraged as a promotion gimmick!

The RIAA, or specifically its members, deserve everything that come their way, they have prostituted art for profit and now have one almighty dose of the (slow hand) clap. They are sterile, soulless and lacking in any artistic integrity.

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

JimH

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 01:16:22 pm »

I want to ask that, when you express opinions here about the RIAA, or for that matter, anything you don't like, that you try to use language that describes the problem rather than incites rancor and bitterness.  

If you try to put yourself in the position of owner of the music, you might not behave a lot differently.

If you really want things to change, maybe you should consider spending $10 a month on the best subscription you can find.

And, when JRiver visits music labels, we try to "tell it like it is", representing your legitimate concerns.
Jim Hillegass

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 01:39:44 pm »

Hi

JimH - I apologise. I have had my fair share of exposure with people in the industry over a number of years, and what I said, which I do not retract, does not address the problems that exist now.

I hope they do put their past behind them and make some good decisions for the future of music. If they really focus on the music, their balance sheets will be rewarded in the longer term.

Ilmar
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

TURBO

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2002, 01:51:23 pm »

I think, FREE MUSIC FOR ALL!. If artists want money, they should perform live!(More concerts). Like everybody go to work. That'it. Period.

JimH

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2002, 02:16:38 pm »

And now, we've come to the end of our show.  Closing this thread now.  Say goodnight, Gracie.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up