INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mp3`s on Removable media dont add to media library  (Read 1727 times)

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
Mp3`s on Removable media dont add to media library
« on: July 07, 2002, 03:25:22 am »

Hi

This Media Jukebox is by far the best i`ve used, but, why is it that if I add a CD full of mp3`s to its database, they are listed only under CD and DVD media and not in the media library? I want the MP3 files on my CDR`s to be listed with all the other media cataloged under artist/album for ease of searching! Surely this is logical?

sekim

RE:Mp3`s on Removable media dont add to media library
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 03:49:09 am »

Have you tried 'Import' or 'Copy'? Playback will only give the info from the cd, not automatically add it to music collection. You still have to get it to your harddrive first.

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 04:29:46 am »

OK I dont think I was quite clear with this, there are 5 sub branches under media library in the programme. The first One says album, the second one says artist/album The third says CD and DVD media. All my Mp3`s that are on fixed media appear in the first two sections, correctly sorted according to tags, and this is very nice indeed. However, Mp3 files on removable media (i.e CDR`s) only appear under the branch CD and DVD media, then under there respective CD`s. This is correct but Why dont they appear under artist/album too? Most of my mp3s are on CD`s, why cant I browse albums/artists for Mp3`s on CDs? its just silly and really really annoying because its stopping MediaJukebox being the programme of my dreams :(

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 06:43:22 am »

Hi Bucko,

what you want is pretty simple to do (altough if you have the same stuff both on cd and on disk it may result confusing... your choice)

the sub branches under Media Library are View Schemes. The one you have are the defaults that come with MJ, but you can add your own or edit them as you like.

So if you want to see the cda entries in your Artist/Album schem, just selet it, then right click and select "Edit View Scheme"

In the Search criteria at the end enter   ~d=mc
(d stands for database and the qualifiers are m = maind database, c = cd/dvd database)

Enjoy
Claudio

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 06:49:38 am »

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 07:32:56 am »

WAIT! NO! Now when I go to media library at the very top of the tree, I cant see ANY files in my database! This has made it impossible to search! HEEELPPP!

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 08:02:12 am »

Nope, it all works perfetly for me (I get cda in the Album/Artist view with the ~d=mc, and when I click on top level Media Library I see the full list).

BTW you don't need to go to the top view to search: you can search in any view. Just do CtlQ (and then f3 for next) or do Ctl F to get to the top view

You must have been put something wrong with one of search modifier, in some of your view schemes.

Anyway you get the idea on how to do it. Just read the documentation for more details on the keywords etc and experiment

Enjoy
Claudio

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 09:33:29 am »

I removed the ~d-mc from the view and still nothing comes up in search, I dont even get the search icon on my tool bar that is mentioned in the help file, pressing control F takes me to the same page with no files to search, but the files are there when I browse by artist or album!!!!!! What on earth is going on? Could my database be corrupt? Should I try to reinstall the software?

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2002, 09:44:00 am »

I understand whats happening now, the Mp3`s on removable media are NOT included in the search!!!! This is so frustrating!!! I will try and figure out what obscure bit of text I have to add to get them to work, and where. Right now I cant seem to set any search rules :(

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2002, 11:11:32 am »

It's the same database specifier I told you before

in the search panel

type "matrix ~d=c" for example if you want to search the matrix sound track cd or the dv

Relax a bit, and take the time to read the doc and get used to all the features..... Power requires control

I don't know if you can configure the search scheme to remember to use the cd database by default ... ( most of the people rip cd's because it's more convenient so it's perfectly reasonable that the default search is in the main database)

Claudio

sekim

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2002, 11:13:01 am »

From the help file...

View Removable Media by Category
The easy way:

Add a new View Scheme (right click on Media Library) and call it 'Removable media types'.
In the View Scheme properties dialog add "Type", then add "Volume Name".
In Search Criteria, type: ~d=c (to search your CD database only).
Your removable media will be sorted as cda, dvd, mp3, ape, etc.
Feel free to rename the volume names.

The other way (this way gives you more control over what you see):

Add a Playlist Group named 'media type'.
In that Playlist Group create three (or more) Smartlists:
Call the first one 'CDA' and set the rule 'location=.cda'
Call the second 'DVD' and set the rule 'location=.dvd'
Call the third one 'DATA' and set the rule '-location=.cda
-location=.dvd'
Now edit the 'CD & DVD' View Scheme. Add the Playlist Group 'media type' then use the up/down button so that the order is Playlist (media type), Volume Name.
Now when you select the CD & DVD view, your removable medias will be sorted in on of the group CDA, DVD, DATA depending on the media. You can Rename each Volume name so that it's significant.

– CMagic

Does this help?

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2002, 01:06:18 pm »

Thanks, I think this helps I`m just trying to get my head around all this "~d=c" " stuff. I have set up things like this before for filtering files etc so i`m not completely lost (was a long time ago mind). I dont really understand still why searching by default excludes files, but I did not realise there were effectivley two databases. (three if u count temp I guess) What I want is a search that searches both local and removable media in one go. I presume this is "~d=mc (whatever you want to search)" Is there any way to lock this in so that it searches both databases every time? It would be cool if there were some checkboxes for common search options below where you search, e.g a checkbox to search by artist, album, song name and in either main temp or CD databases (or all)

I have read the documentation but it seems to refer to things that dont exist in several places especially regarding searching (I dont have a seach button on my toolbar!). Please excuse my frustration, I`m like a kid who cant work his favourite new toy :)

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2002, 01:47:03 pm »

Hi Bucko,

Right click on the Toolbar, and then select customize. You can add/remove stuff from the toolbar to your hearth content

I don't know how to make the serch option for cd "stick" in the Media Library, since I've never had a use for it ( I like my CDs separate from ripped material)

No, problem with getting excited with a new toy!! We've all been there ... I just mentioned to relax a bit because you were firing off new threads like fireworks

One of the good thing with MJ, is that it will keep surprising you with new feature, little details for quite some time

Claudio
Pages: [1]   Go Up