INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Can anyone recommend a good Receiver?  (Read 9861 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
OT - Can anyone recommend a good Receiver?
« on: April 15, 2004, 03:19:54 pm »

Hi, I'm really liking MC10, thanks for everyone here who took the time and effort to call out the bugs as the JRiver Dev team finely tuned it to (near) perfection. :o)

I've just begun a search to replace an ailing 10+ year old Sony 5.1 Surround Receiver (model STR-DA30ES). The rear channel amps seem to have gone south on me, and I think it's about time for a change anyway.

Can anyone recommend a good, solid, simple but great sounding receiver/amp with the following features (and not much more if possible):

- 7.1 surround channels
- DTS and THX decoding/certification
- ~100 watts per channel
- Optical & Coax inputs
- Less than 1000 bucks
- Smallish size (No need for video ins/outs for example)
- 110 to 240 volt (50 and 60 hz) support for multi-national (I'm a Canadian living in France)
- removable power cord (for reason stated in previous point)

The only inputs will be my PC's coax out (for MC10 of course) and maybe a minidisk optical in.

Thanks for any feedback/links you can provide to help me in my search.

Best regards,
Kwake

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:OT - Can anyone recommend a good Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 03:58:03 pm »

take a look at:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077626340181&skuId=6304778&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031

it has everything on your list...

i have the 6.1 version of it and im very happy. the yamaha dsp chips produce some very good sound fields, its got very low harmonic distortion. additionally the international models SHOULD have a voltage selector so you can switch between 50 and 60 Hz (however, the US one doesnt have this)

pip

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 04:50:58 pm »

I have a Denon 3803. It meets some of your requirements, but not all.

I'm especially impressed with its usability. It seems like Denon really thought about things from the user's perspective. For example, it remembers with surround mode or DSP setting you used for each input and for each sound format (i.e. DD vs. DTS; DD 5.1 vs DD PCM, etc...). So if I play a DD 5.1 signal, it plays back direct, but if I play a DD 2.0 signal, it switches to Dolby PLII matrixed surround automatically.

I think that it supports both U.S. and European voltage and has a detachable power cord, but it's been a long time since I was back there.

It has 7.1, but it doesn't support PLIIx, which gives stereo surround-back channels. Only PLII, which has dual mono surround-back channels. It also has the option for A/B rear surrounds. In other words, you can install two sets of rear surrounds and use one for movies and the other for music, for example. Alternatively, you can use the second output as an amplified zone 2 output.

Since the 3805--the successor to the 3803--came out, 3803s are marked down a lot. You can surely find one below $1,000 U.S.

It does have video inputs and switching, although you don't need this.

It has 2 optical and... 5? I think 5 coax digital inputs.

I don't think it's THX certified, but it does follow THX recommendations in areas such as bass management (adjustable 80Hz crossover, etc...) It might be one of those devices that meets THX certifications, but the manufacturer didn't bother to go through the THX certification process due to cost, etc...

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 04:54:44 pm »

By the way, you might want to check out avsforum (http://www.avsforum.com), which I'm sure you're familiar with. Go to the "receivers" forum and search around.

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 05:04:28 pm »

I have a Denon 3803. It meets some of your requirements, but not all.

Since the 3805--the successor to the 3803--came out, 3803s are marked down a lot. You can surely find one below $1,000 U.S.

I have the Denon 3801 which is basically the same as the 3803 without DPLII and am extremely happy with it.  So I'd suggest any of the 3801+ models (3800 had a fan that tended to be loud, or die after a bit) based on what you're willing to spend...

-John

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 05:22:22 pm »

I really like my Rotel RSX-1055 (now superseded by the 1056).

My older unit meets most of your requirements, to wit:
7.1 outs (but only 6.1 passthrough)
2x100w or 5*75w (but not 7x...)
3 coax and 2 optical ins
I paid $1100 six months ago when it was a current model (Prices in Europe are significantly higher... think resale opportunities)
It's not really smallish, but it's stylish ;) and doesn't have too many extras (focus is on sound quality rather than features)
I had mine converted from 110V to 240V for a very small sum ($40 IIRC)... including a new removable cord. As long as you don't move back and forth too often this shouldn't be an issue
Finally, if you listen to FM on either side of the pond, this unit can work with both radio standards (as you know, there is no xxx.1,.3,.5 in North America, but Europeans use these frequencies...)

Eiffel

- 7.1 surround channels
- DTS and THX decoding/certification
- ~100 watts per channel
- Optical & Coax inputs
- Less than 1000 bucks
- Smallish size (No need for video ins/outs for example)
- 110 to 240 volt (50 and 60 hz) support for multi-national (I'm a Canadian living in France)
- removable power cord (for reason stated in previous point)

Best regards,
Kwake

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 05:44:38 pm »

I have a Marantz SR8200, I bought it about 5 months ago, then decided I'm selling everything to travel the world, so I don't need it anymore.  I quite nicely fits your description of wants/needs (only 6.1 though).  It comes with the Marantz RC5200 programmable remote (same a Pronto)

Product specs can be seen here

http://www.marantz.com/p_product.cfm?id=656&cont=u&cat=hf&single=1

and

http://www.marantz.com/p_product.cfm?id=593&cont=u&cat=hf&single=1

I got it for a smoking deal of $1100 brand new (I've bought quite a bit of stuff from the same dealer, and his company dropped the marantz line, so I got the super smokin closeout deal)  Retail was closer to $2000.

I'd let it go for $850 shipped.
pretend this is something funny

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 08:55:20 pm »

You should also check Yamaha RX-V1400 and the sister model RX-V2400. I'm not sure about the voltage, but otherwise there's everything you need with excellent value.

The size is not small. But if you are after audio quality you have no choice. You could check Sony's new receivers with digital power amplifiers, they are at least a bit lighter, if not smaller.

Here is a link to the Audioholics RX-V2400 review: http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/YamahaRXV-2400Receiver-p1.html

Since you are in France, it could be cheapest to order HiFi equipment from Germany (if you are going to by it in EU). You can compare German prices here: http://www.preissuchmaschine.de/

After an extensive research I bought my RX-V1400 in last December for 690 euros and the UPS delivery was 50 euros from Germany to Finland. Just now it can be found for 665 euros in German mail-order. The usual price in local HiFi stores here in Finland is well over 1000 euros.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 01:25:19 pm »

Thanks everyone for your excellent feedback! I'm currently deciding between one of the Yamaha's (1400/2400/HTR-5790), or a Marantz.

pipsqueak, now that's a Yammy (HTR-5790) I didn't know existed, they don't even have it listed on their European website yet! It looks great - will have a closer look for sure.

loraan - yes I'm familiar with avsforum, I am a member and found it very helpful a year and a half ago when deciding on what LCD projector to buy.

JustinChase, your Marantz looks great as well however I'd feel much better buying my unit here in France since I currently use a transformer to plug in my North American bought Sony receiver and want to move away from that. I'm sure at that price you won't have much trouble selling and I wish you happy travels!

AlexB - thanks for the tip! I really do like the Yamaha models you suggest. I've now added the HTR-5790 to the list to confirm the differences with the 1400/2400s. I actually purchased my Solarism 17" LCD monitor from a German company and got a great deal (they didn't even sell it in France).

Best regards to all, and I'll update this post with the actual unit I purchase, which hopefully will be in a couple of weeks at most.

Kwake

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 12:19:37 pm »

Have fun shopping, and do your best to actually listen to some units before you buy one.  Specs are great, but ears are better.
pretend this is something funny

jleerigby

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 07:45:54 am »

Just to complete the Denon picture I have the 3802.  This machine is a good all rounder producing great sound in Dolby Digital, DTS or PL2 but it's equally good for music in 5 or 2 channel stereo.  I paired it with Bowers and Wilkins 600 series speakers and the ASW675 sub.  I'm totall happy with it and would recommend this set up to anyone.  Aside from the requirement for 'smallish size' I think it fits your needs.

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 03:01:37 pm »

Hi JLee, I see your point - the Denon line is very interesting as well - however it doesn't meet my voltage/removable power cord requirement. (even though I'm not sure how easy it is to change the voltage on the Yamaha's yet...)

Thanks for the valuable feedback on your experiences - and I'll certainly look into the speakers you have as I've decided to upgrade mine at about the same time (since it is probably important to audition the amp with the speakers you're going to use anyway). At the moment, there are some Wharfedale Opus' that look particularly sweet. http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/opusbroch.pdf

Regards,
Kwake
Pages: [1]   Go Up