INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capitalization in "Clean File Properties" -- problems and suggestions  (Read 963 times)

Jonas

• World Citizen

I've been cleaning up my MP3s, adding ID3 tags to old files that lacked them and using "Clean File Properties" to remove underscores, fix capitalization and so on.

However, the "Fix Capitalization" option fails on words containing Swedish national characters such as å, ä, ö (a-with-a-ring, a-with-two-dots, o-with-two-dots).  Those characters are left uncapitalized even at the beginning of a word, while the following characters are capitalized, even if they are in the middle of a word.  That looks about as silly as if you wrote "Clean fIle pRoperTies" or "Media jUkebOx" in English...  Any chance of changing the capitalization implementation so it understands 8-bit accented characters?

Also, by Swedish convention we don't use title case or all initial caps in song titles.  Just a single capital letter at the beginning of the name.  It would be great if this could be added as a third capitalization option.

Finally, there are some "words" that are case-sensitive and should not be altered by this option.  How about adding a configurable list of words that should always be in a specific case, or at least hardcoding the most common ones?  I'm thinking of "III", "IV", "DJ", "USA", "ABBA", and so on.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Capitalization in
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 09:11:29 am »

However, the "Fix Capitalization" option fails on words containing Swedish national characters such as å, ä, ö (a-with-a-ring, a-with-two-dots, o-with-two-dots). Those characters are left uncapitalized even at the beginning of a word, while the following characters are capitalized, even if they are in the middle of a word. That looks about as silly as if you wrote "Clean fIle pRoperTies" or "Media jUkebOx" in English... Any chance of changing the capitalization implementation so it understands 8-bit accented characters?

Will be fixed next build.

Also, by Swedish convention we don't use title case or all initial caps in song titles. Just a single capital letter at the beginning of the name. It would be great if this could be added as a third capitalization option.

OK, this will be in the next build as well.

Finally, there are some "words" that are case-sensitive and should not be altered by this option. How about adding a configurable list of words that should always be in a specific case, or at least hardcoding the most common ones? I'm thinking of "III", "IV", "DJ", "USA", "ABBA", and so on.

It's hard coded right now... sorry.  However, I just added DJ, USA, and some roman numerals.  If there are more, just let us know.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2002, 02:19:39 pm »

Great!  Thanks for the quick response.  Although I have only tested the Jukebox for a few days I had already been thinking about buying a copy, and now I will definitely do that (I like seeing frequent releases rather than a new x.0 version every year or so, and it's very nice when the developers are in touch with the users through a forum like this).

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 12:28:30 am »

I just started using the Upper Case First Word Only option and discovered that it also applies to the artist's name.  Shouldn't all the words in the artist's name be capitalized regardless of this setting?  Possibly it might also be useful to have separate settings for the capitalization of titles, names, albums and so on, but that would be a very low priority feature for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2002, 05:19:19 am »

We may make what fields to clean selectable in MJ 9.0...

Until then, hopefully you won't mind how it is now too much.

Thanks Jonas.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up