INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kiosk Mode idea - second try - rephrased  (Read 1578 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Kiosk Mode idea - second try - rephrased
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:34:20 am »

OK..
Let me rephrase my request.

I think it would be advantageous to have in MC a mode similar to the Party Mode but a bit tougher and more HTPC oriented.

In this "Kiosk" mode,

-- Theater View should be the main and only view
-- Access to the underlying Standard View and OS shell should be blocked (password protected)
-- No modifications to the library/system should be allowed except maybe for ratings, play-counts and playlist creation.

The reasoning for this is simple - the Party Mode is a relic of the pre-TheaterView era. These days many people use MC as a 10-feet interface in Theater View mode using a remote control to drive it, so the Party Mode needs to be modified to be more Theater View / HTPC specific.

Am I alone on this one?
Thanks!
--max

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Kiosk Mode idea - second try - rephrased
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:49:37 am »

Am I alone on this one?
Nope, +1 here. I'd also be okay with naming it "Party Mode Plus" or "super Party Mode", since I myself wouldn't ever actually use it in a kiosk, per se.

I think your description summarizes the idea pretty well. Personally, I would also add the ability to filter out entire views out using either this "kiosk mode" or an amped up Access Control, so that when used in a home/party setting users can be easily steered away from the Movies, TV Shows, overly personal photos, etc...

I guess my bigger picture thought is that the entire library access control feature set could use a good revamp. The kiosk mode thing would be a pretty good, focused place to start though :).

-JB

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:28:56 am »

I think it'd be nice to extend party mode to optionally be more inclusive of Theater View.  We've heard requests for this through a few different channels.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:19:04 am »

Good! I hope we'll see some development in this department soon.
Thank, Matt!

I think it'd be nice to extend party mode to optionally be more inclusive of Theater View.  We've heard requests for this through a few different channels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up