INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cue sheets work?  (Read 3543 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
cue sheets work?
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:49:59 pm »

Hello,
It's been a while since I used cue sheet with MC (last time on MC12 I believe).
Just tried a few (large wav containing a whole CD and a cue sheet with tracks/position) and they all do the same:
-- Correct list of tracks is shown in MC14 --> OK
-- Whichever track I click, MC14 plays the CD from the first track.. --> problem!

Example:
Filename - wywh.wav
Cue - WYWH.cue, containing
Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
TITLE "Wish You Were Here"
FILE "wywh.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Shine on you crazy diamond (part 1)"
    PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Welcome to the machine"
    PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
    INDEX 01 13:39:14
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Have a cigar"
    PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
    INDEX 01 21:07:41
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Wish you were here"
    PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
    INDEX 01 26:50:34
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Shine on you crazy diamond (part 2)"
    PERFORMER "Pink Floyd"
    INDEX 01 32:06:01

Am I missing something? Please advise.
Thanks!
--max

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: cue sheets work?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:41:30 am »

They work. I have lots of cue albums in my library in several encoding formats, but as a test, I just I created a new "single wav file + cue sheet" album.

Here are the contents of my test cue sheet:

Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "Yes"
TITLE "Union"
FILE "Yes - Union.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "I Would Have Waited Forever"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Shock To The System"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 06:32:58
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Masquerade"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 11:41:58
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Lift Me Up"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 13:59:05
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Without Hope You Cannot Start The Day"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 20:29:08
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Saving My Heart"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 25:47:53
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Miracle Of Life"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 30:29:58
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Silent Talking"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 37:59:50
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "The More We Live / Let Go"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 42:00:68
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Angkor Wat"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 46:54:43
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Dangerous (Look In The Light Of What You're Searching For)"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 52:18:35
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Holding On"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 55:57:00
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Evensong"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 61:21:45
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Take The Water To The Mountain"
    PERFORMER "Yes"
    INDEX 01 62:13:33

And this is how it shows up in the library:
(I usually import cue files by dragging the cue to Playing Now and doing Ctrl+A, > right-click > Import Into Library in there)

To troubleshoot the problem, you can add the Filename (name) and Playback Range columns to a view and check if the values are similar to the values in my screenshot.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:49:09 am »

Thanks, Alex!
Everything looks fine to me with the names, ranges, etc...
See the screenshot.
MC shows all the tracks correctly.
Shows that the track 3 of 5 is currently playing (right in the middle of the album).
However, it actually plays the first track! (12 seconds into the big wav file).
It seems to me that whichever track I click, it starts from the beginning of the big wav.
This happens with all my cue/wav, old and fresh...  ?

Another thing - the imported cue files are not shown anywhere (not in Audio, not in Documents), only in the Recently Imported playlist.

Any idea?
Thanks so much!
--max

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:10:03 am »

Thanks, Alex!
Everything looks fine to me with the names, ranges, etc...
See the screenshot.
MC shows all the tracks correctly.
Shows that the track 3 of 5 is currently playing (right in the middle of the album).
However, it actually plays the first track! (12 seconds into the big wav file).
It seems to me that whichever track I click, it starts from the beginning of the big wav.
This happens with all my cue/wav, old and fresh...  ?

Another thing - the imported cue files are not shown anywhere (not in Audio, not in Documents), only in the Recently Imported playlist.

Any idea?
Thanks so much!
--max

what locale is your system set to?  I'm not able to reproduce this, but I'm wondering if it's a text parsing issue based on decimal point differences or something.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:33:04 am »

Hi Matt,
All is set to English (United States)...
? ?

what locale is your system set to?  I'm not able to reproduce this, but I'm wondering if it's a text parsing issue based on decimal point differences or something.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:43:48 am »

Are you playing WAV files with the internal WAV plugin or some Directshow filter?

Maybe you could try an APE file instead?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:55:33 am »

It isn't about the locale.

The playback range values do not work through DirectShow decoding. (You are using the AC3 source and decoding filters for playing the DTS wav content, aren't you?)

You can convert the DTS encoded wav + cue albums file to individual DTS encoded track wav files. The DTS format will be preserved and the tracks will play gaplessly (I just tested it). MC must be temporarily set to use its standard wav decoding method in order to make the conversion work correctly.

Regarding the cue file import, MC doesn't add the actual cue file to the database. It only interprets the contents and creates "virtual" track entries. The cue file is not needed or used after the library tracks are created.

EDIT

Possibly MC stores some info about the cue file so that the Auto-Import feature can work correctly, but it isn't exposed as a library file in the user interface.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:53 am »

Will do when I am back home.. Thanks!
BTW, are CUE files hidden (like folder.jpg)? I don't see them in my library even though they do get imported..

--max

Are you playing WAV files with the internal WAV plugin or some Directshow filter?

Maybe you could try an APE file instead?

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:04:46 pm »

Ah.. I see.. That's what I was doing before - cutting the large wav's into individual tracks.
This time I decided to do this the right way.. :) Thought the cue sheets were more, uhm.., professional.
OK. Got it. No cue sheets for AC3/DTS,
Thanks!
--max
P.S. I will be asking questions about AC3/DTS/SPDIF playback soon too - my head is spinning over this - one day it works another day it doesn't.. What a mess all this ac3filter/ffdshow stuff is.

It isn't about the locale.

The playback range values do not work through DirectShow decoding. (You are using the AC3 source and decoding filters for playing the DTS wav content, aren't you?)

You can convert the DTS encoded wav + cue albums file to individual DTS encoded track wav files. The DTS format will be preserved and the tracks will play gaplessly (I just tested it). MC must be set to use it's standard wav decoding method in order to make the conversion work correctly.

Regarding the cue file import, MC doesn't add the actual cue file to the database. It only interprets the contents and creates "virtual" track entries. The cue file is not needed or used after the library tracks are created.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:58:34 am »

Hi Alex,
I finally got the multichannel playback working.
There's another problem though.
It's not gapless! At least with my setup...
It is gapless when ac3filter downmixes it to 2-channel (PCM).
It is not gapless when it's real 5.1 ac3 or dts (output).
My Onkyo 705 receiver sniffs every incoming file and decides which decoder to use - when it's doing this it makes some quite loud clicking sounds (some relays going off and on). So, it pauses momentarily clicks, pauses again, clicks and then starts playing the next track..
This certainly is the receiver problem but maybe there's a way to fool it not to switch modes between the tracks?

TIA!
--max

You can convert the DTS encoded wav + cue albums file to individual DTS encoded track wav files. The DTS format will be preserved and the tracks will play gaplessly (I just tested it).

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

Googled and found that Onkyo addressed this issue in a firmware upgrade - will try to upgrade tonite and see if it helps.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 12:57:27 am »

I am out of luck... No firmware upgrade for my model. I thought I had Onkyo TX-SR705 but in fact I have TX-SR703. 5 years old already.

BinCZ

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 04:02:33 pm »

Hello maxxsid,

I don't want to hijack Your thread, but I think, it is the right place, because evaluating v14.0.84 under XP SP3  I've nearly the same problems:

1. Auto-Importing a folder with single tracks including a cuesheet for these tracks:

All single files and additionally the same tracks from the cuesheet will be imported.
Playing the single files directly: No problem, as like single-files-folders without cuesheet
Playing the  single tracks via cuesheet: The same problem like You; equal which track, everytime just the first track is been played.

2. Auto-Importing an image with cuesheet

The whole image file will be imported, additionally the tracks from its cuesheet.
All tracks listed in the cuesheet are been played and afterwards the whole image.

Both cases I can only handle by manually manipulation.

The first one by deleting the entrys made via the cuesheet, the second one by deleting the image file . . . but with every new complete import I've to do it again; not using "Ignore deleted Entrys" (I don't know the exact English name.).

I couldn't find any option for handling these cases automatically, or am I just to stupid?
If not, MC is not able to recognize the real relations.

Suggestions to JR development team for the Import Function:

If only an image with fitting cuesheet is present, the image itself should be ignored, because it's linked within the cuesheet.
I know, cuesheets can be very different, therefore handling many files linked in one cuesheet will u. c. be much more complicated. But the standard sheet can be be handled the same way like cuesheets for a complete image: Ignoring all files linked within the cuesheet.

With kind regards from the german North Sea coast

BinCZ

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:30 pm »

AFAIK, recent builds of MC14 introduced some improvements for cue sheets support - haven't tested this myself though - I ended up cutting all my "big" files into individual files.

Hello maxxsid,
I don't want to hijack Your thread, but I think, it is the right place, because evaluating v14.0.84 under XP SP3  I've nearly the same problems:

Pages: [1]   Go Up