INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support  (Read 72718 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Xbox, PlayStation 3, DLNA, and DIRECTV DVR support
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2010, 05:53:19 am »

where is the diirectv dvr support? i'd like to watch this thread. i have satellite and would love to incorporate satellite into theaterview.
TY

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:56 am »

just purchased MC14.0.96 I's trying to set it up to use with my PS3 and had some issues that I was able to resolve through reading this thread, however I've one problem that I cant seem to fix.

Audio - if the album contains only one song, the song plays ok however if the album contains more than one song then the PS3 just runs through each song without playing and the MC didplays yhis

01/11/10 16:57:20 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:21 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:22 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:23 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:23 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:24 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums)
01/11/10 16:57:25 - Browse BrowseDirectChildren 1002(Audio\Albums) etc etc

any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2010, 11:18:21 am »

Please get the build from the top of this board. 

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

Please get the build from the top of this board. 

done this, now the server gives me a "failed to start" error

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2010, 08:01:00 pm »

Try another port.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »

done this, now the server gives me a "failed to start" error

As Jim says try another port. I would suggest you try port 2869. If that does not work try port 2870.

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2010, 05:25:23 am »

Try another port.

Thanks guys that worked. ithe server has now started but PS3 gives me  DNLA Protocol error 7522

(Managed to fix the protocol error by unchecking "PS3 Compatable" in the advanced options section??

Q - Is there anyway I can get my PS3 to see my "playing now" folder? It can see my audio/video/images folders as well as my playlist folders

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #157 on: January 18, 2010, 08:31:34 am »

As above folks, is there anyway I can get my PS3 to see my "playing now" folder?

I'd like my PS3 to be playing music and I've have the option to select a file to play next and for PS3 to pick that up (if that makes sense)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: January 18, 2010, 08:55:08 am »

As above folks, is there anyway I can get my PS3 to see my "playing now" folder?

I'd like my PS3 to be playing music and I've have the option to select a file to play next and for PS3 to pick that up (if that makes sense)
Are you using build 127?  It's at the top of this board.

cairngorm

• Recent member
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2010, 09:01:36 am »

Are you using build 127?  It's at the top of this board.

Yes I am Jim, any setup help/advice appreciated

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:06 am »

It seems like you are trying to use MC to control the PS/3, is this correct?

The PS/3 firmware doesn't currently support UPnP control.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »

Re build 127: Nice progress on the DLNA server(s).

Re Customized Views (with Roku Soundbridge):

One issue, however, if I set up a server and delete the Playlist view from the list of Items to show after selecting Customized Views, is there any way to get Playlists back? If so, how (without recreating all the customized views)?

Also, is there any way to customize what playlists get shown, e.g. no need to show photo playlists on my Roku Soundbridge?

Re Xbox 360:

When I select a server that has been created as a generic Xbox 360 (using the Add button within the DLNA Options dialog), using port 2869, the MC server appears to my Xbox 360, but I am unable to connect. I get a "Can't connect to the PC... error box when I try to." Should I have to do any the modifications to the profile that the Add button creates to get it to work with the 360? Note that this had worked with prior builds of Media Center.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:58 am »

Bump

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44:05 am »

Build 130?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:48 am »

Re Xbox 360:
When I select a server that has been created as a generic Xbox 360 (using the Add button within the DLNA Options dialog), using port 2869, the MC server appears to my Xbox 360, but I am unable to connect. I get a "Can't connect to the PC... error box when I try to." Should I have to do any the modifications to the profile that the Add button creates to get it to work with the 360? Note that this had worked with prior builds of Media Center.
It seems the 360 caches the names sometimes and gets confused, even across powerdown/up.
Try changing the display name of the xbox 360 profile, for example, take the space out and make it xbox360. Then check on the 360 and see if you see the new name.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »

It seems the 360 caches the names sometimes and gets confused, even across powerdown/up.
Try changing the display name of the xbox 360 profile, for example, take the space out and make it xbox360. Then check on the 360 and see if you see the new name.

Thanks. Installed build 130 and the fix you describe above and that solved the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

Thanks for your patience.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2010, 11:19:49 am »

Re Customized Views (with Roku Soundbridge):

One issue, however, if I set up a server and delete the Playlist view from the list of Items to show after selecting Customized Views, is there any way to get Playlists back? If so, how (without recreating all the customized views)?

Also, is there any way to customize what playlists get shown, e.g. no need to show photo playlists on my Roku Soundbridge?

Any information on this issue?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2010, 04:08:21 pm »

Bump. Let me know if you want this question moved to a different thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »

Bob is out this week.  It will have to wait.  Sorry.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2010, 06:53:38 pm »

No problem. Two more related issues for next week:

-- When playlists and any other parts of the library get updated on Media Center, they are not updated on devices that connect to the UPnP DLNA server until Media Center is stopped and restarted.

-- There appears to be no way to stop and restart a UPnP/DLNA server short of restarting Media Center.

The open issues from before are:

-- If I set up a server and delete the Playlist view from the list of Items to show after selecting Customized Views, is there any way to get Playlists back? If so, how (without recreating all the customized views)?

-- Is there any way to customize what playlists get shown, e.g. no need to show photo playlists on my Roku Soundbridge?

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:50 pm »

bump

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

Bob isn't well.  It will be a few days.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

Hi, I just installed the latest Media Center 14.0.137 registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\

I have both a PS3 and an XBox360.  The XBox360 seems to work fine with DLNA, the PS3 finds Media Center, but when I browse the menu, it initially shows something like this:

Audio/
Video/

When I navigate into the Audio folder on the PS3, the same menu repeats itself, and I can never get past this.  I'm happy to provide wireshark logs, or anything else to help resolve this.  My PS3 is running the latest firmware (not sure the revision, but I just did a network update and it tells me it is the latest).

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »

I have both a PS3 and an XBox360.  The XBox360 seems to work fine with DLNA, the PS3 finds Media Center, but when I browse the menu, it initially shows something like this:

Audio/
Video/

When I navigate into the Audio folder on the PS3, the same menu repeats itself, and I can never get past this.  I'm happy to provide wireshark logs, or anything else to help resolve this.  My PS3 is running the latest firmware (not sure the revision, but I just did a network update and it tells me it is the latest).
You'll need to set up two different servers for those.  The one for the PS3 must be specifically for it.  It's one of the choices when you add a server.

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »

Has anyone been able to play flacs through the PS3?

I'm Using build 144.
Using defaults for Playstation 3, i.e. with convert unsupported formats/uncompressed Wave.

Files show up on the PS3, but when trying to play a file the name is displayed for a few seconds before advancing to the next file name is displayed and so forth. No sound.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2010, 06:33:46 pm »

Flacs have been playing fine for me (would need to double check on V144) - Std PS3 Settings in MC and I use Always Convert --> Uncompress Wave
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »

suviking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:50 pm »

Tried "always Convert" but same result (plus mp3s won't play either of course). tried convert to mp3, but results in "Unsupported format" error on the ps3.

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2010, 04:41:35 pm »

The open issues from before are:

-- If I set up a server and delete the Playlist view from the list of Items to show after selecting Customized Views, is there any way to get Playlists back? If so, how (without recreating all the customized views)?

-- Is there any way to customize what playlists get shown, e.g. no need to show photo playlists on my Roku Soundbridge?

Bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

Currently, you'll have to remove the server and readd a new one.  We'll add a better way in time.

No, sorry.  But you can create library views build around playlist groups and playlists, so with some work, it's quite customizable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gottwavo

• World Citizen
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2010, 02:53:34 pm »

Since some 20 or so version changes I am checking the DLNA server to work like expected and it doesn't. Is the development on DLNA finished or are there improvements to come?

This is not working: I simply can't play my videos on the TV (Panaosnic Viera). They play in MC. I can see the files, browse the files, but when I play them I get "Can not play video" or "unknown file format". I have set the server to convert video. It obviously does not do so. The good - or bad - thing is: I can play all the files with Twonky. Twonky knows my TV set and tells me it's a Panasonic. MC does not.

Volker

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »

Try a firewall opening on ports 52100 to 52199.

Try setting the Advanced option for DLNA called "... Host Portion of URL".

The person who was working on this has been in the hospital for a couple of weeks and is just returning, so please be patient.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:23 am »

Try turning off the option to convert video. If video conversion doesn't work for one file it will not work for any of them.
See what native video formats the TV supports by trying to play video with conversion off.

alancommike

• Recent member
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2010, 12:52:51 pm »

Copied from the 14.147 beta thread....

Tried to get a simple DNLA setup running. MC on my Win7 laptop and on a Win2003 server.

Two issues:
1)
Win7 as DLNA Server and Win2003 and Renderer works as expected. Win2003 shows up in Win7 "Playing Now" list and I can control the Win2003 system from Win7.

Win7 as DLNA Renderer and Win2003 Server does not work at all. The Win7 instance never shows up in the Win2003 "Now Playing". Even if I tick the Controller and Server boxes in the Win7 MC DNLA options, nothing shows up in Win2003.

So, it looks like this:
  Win7 Renderer <--> Win2003 Server - Bad
  Win7 Server<--> Win2003 Renderer - Ok

2)
Using either Generic or Denon DLNA I can get my Denon 3808ci to see MC (running on Win7). I can browse and play from the Denon interface. It'll even convert flac on the fly. Good job! Once a song is started from the Denon interface, I can pause, start, and stop from MC. I can select the Denon in "Now Playing", but it won't play. I get, "There was a problem controlling the selected DLNA device. Double-check your device, server, and network settings." and then "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location."

From the log file, everything looks correct right up to:
0038907: 4232: Playback: CPlayerZone::PlayNextFile: bCanPlayNext=0, m_bPlaybackError=1

One thing to note, my media library is on a network share. I'm not using UNC paths. I don't think that makes a difference, but it may? I'd really like to get this working with MC directly controller my Denon.

No firewalls on either machine. The whole network is NATed and behind a firewall.

...alan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »

Win7 as DLNA Renderer and Win2003 Server does not work at all. The Win7 instance never shows up in the Win2003 "Now Playing". Even if I tick the Controller and Server boxes in the Win7 MC DNLA options, nothing shows up in Win2003.

Check all 3 DLNA boxes on both PC's.

alancommike

• Recent member
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »

Still no go with all boxes checked.

Any hints on debugging how to get MC to fully work with a Denon 3808ci? If I select the track from the Denon it plays, but if I select it from MC it doesn't.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:39 am »

Win7 more fully supports DLNA. I'm not sure 2003 supports DLNA at all. It might just be using Windows Media Connect instead (that is what the Xbox 360 which is not a DLNA device supports).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:17 am »

Still no go with all boxes checked.

Any hints on debugging how to get MC to fully work with a Denon 3808ci? If I select the track from the Denon it plays, but if I select it from MC it doesn't.

It's really hard debugging DLNA devices remotely :-|
I'd be doing a wireshark dump if I had the Denon here to try and narrow the problem down. Sometimes it requires several dumps.
If you are interested you could try getting a dump. Try to narrow it down to only the involved devices and maybe the multicast address.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
UPnP Server not able to send Photos to Asus O!Play Air
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2010, 04:49:20 pm »

Hope this works, I can't see the new topic button in this board, so I'm responding to a topic and changing the subject.

MC is streaming music and videos to my O!Play Air with no problems, but when I try and access pictures it won't play them even though it shows the thumbnails for the files. 

I have Windows Media Player set up as a server on my wife's machine and WMP streams the photos with no problems.  So I installed MC on her machine a enabled UPnP and encountered the same problem.  Videos and music stream just fine but pictures don't.

Thanks

George

bob

• Administrator
Re: UPnP Server not able to send Photos to Asus O!Play Air
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:51 am »

MC is streaming music and videos to my O!Play Air with no problems, but when I try and access pictures it won't play them even though it shows the thumbnails for the files.  
Version of MC?
Describe the O!Play Air please.
What format are your pictures? Older builds only supported jpeg for the full size image.
Try the "shrink large images" option under "images" if you have very large jpegs that the device may not handle.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2010, 05:23:31 pm »

Version of MC? 14

Describe the O!Play Air please.
Its a wireless/wired network media player.  Here's the formats it can handle:
Supported Video Formats
• Video: MPEG1/2/4,RM/RMVB,VC-1,H.264
• Video File Extension:.mp4, .mov, .xvid., .avi., .dvix., .asf, .wmv, .mkv, .rm, .rmvb, .flv, .ts, .m2ts, .dat, .mpg, .vob, .mts, .tp, .trp,.iso
• Audio: MP3,WAV,AAC,OGG,FLAC,AIFF
• Image: JPEG,BMP,PNG,GIF,TIFF
• Subtitle: SRT,SUB,SMI,SSA

Supported Audio formats
MP3, WAV, AAC, OGG, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, LPCM, WMA, Dolby Digital AC3, Dolby Digital Plus,
DTS - Dolby Digital & DTS Supports Downsample and pass through

Supported Image formats
JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, TIFF

Supported sub-title formats
SRT, SUB, SMI, SSA

What format are your pictures? Older builds only supported jpeg for the full size image.
They're all jpeg.

Try the "shrink large images" option under "images" if you have very large jpegs that the device may not handle.
As I said in my original post WMP (Windows Media Player) streams all these pictures with no problem.  Also, I can navigate to my MC image folder with the O!Play and play these images without a problem.

The only reason I upgraded to MC14 from 9 was for the UPnP support.  I could have used WMP but it doesn't give me any control over the media views it streams, apart from enabling/disabling the media type.  By using UPnP I can streamline accessing my media through our home theater.

thanks

George

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2010, 08:21:22 pm »

Version of MC? 14
Bob was asking for the full version.  Check under Help/About in MC.  It will be something like 14.0.147.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #193 on: March 09, 2010, 03:57:29 am »

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:44 am »

I think something has broken with images and DLNA. Checking into it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2010, 01:03:29 pm »

I think something has broken with images and DLNA. Checking into it.
Actually not. It seems to be o!play specific. I found one here, didn't bother with it because it didn't do UPnP but I see with a current firmware it does. Loaded the current firmware and reproduced the image problem. Curious since it's fine with other media types.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #196 on: March 09, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »

Actually not. It seems to be o!play specific. I found one here, didn't bother with it because it didn't do UPnP but I see with a current firmware it does. Loaded the current firmware and reproduced the image problem. Curious since it's fine with other media types.

More an O!Play/MC thing as O!Play can handle images from WiMP just fine.  So to my mind its something to do with the way MC streams the image.  And as I mentioned in my original post its really weird because O!Play displays the thumbnail when you select an image file.

Its not a deal breaker but it would be nice if the problem could be fixed.  O!Play's weakness is its media navigation but its strength is that once you get to actually playing a file its output is equal to my upconverting DVD player in quality, ditto for audio.  It can even play ISO files.

Since upgrading our HT system quite often I'll take a book and play some music in the living room.  It would be nice to do a slide show with my album art at the same time.

Thanks

George

kurushi

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2010, 02:30:14 am »

Hi,
My friend have his ps3 plug in his router(livebox) and his pc too;the ps3 is plug in it's tv in HDMI mode. He can't watch his movies (that are in the pc) on his tv so i have tried to set a dlna with My MC 14 in portable install.i have checked ps3 in general options ==>functions.

And then i have do an auto schearch for media in the ps3.MC report that it's connected to 192.168.1.0 (i think it's the live box) but the ps3 didn't find MC14.

His movies are in dvx or .avi does it 'll be possible to play them on the ps3 with MC14?
If it's work i'm pretty sure it 'll buy MC14 :=)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2010, 01:41:55 pm »

More an O!Play/MC thing as O!Play can handle images from WiMP just fine.  So to my mind its something to do with the way MC streams the image.  And as I mentioned in my original post its really weird because O!Play displays the thumbnail when you select an image file.
Hi George. It's odd since I can't find a significant difference on dumps between our code and others that play the images ok. The thumbnail thing is interesting. The O!Play doesn't actually use the thumbnail we offer, it downloads the whole image twice, once for the thumb and another time for the actual display (same with other UPnP server software). It seems that either it's less picky about the thumb and there is something it doesn't like about the content directory or there is something about the transfer of the thumb it doesn't like. I fixed a couple of things in the images content directory but it didn't make any difference to the O!Play.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:12 pm »

Hi,
My friend have his ps3 plug in his router(livebox) and his pc too;the ps3 is plug in it's tv in HDMI mode. He can't watch his movies (that are in the pc) on his tv so i have tried to set a dlna with My MC 14 in portable install.i have checked ps3 in general options ==>functions.

And then i have do an auto search for media in the ps3.MC report that it's connected to 192.168.1.0 (i think it's the live box) but the ps3 didn't find MC14.

His movies are in dvx or .avi does it 'll be possible to play them on the ps3 with MC14?
If it's work i'm pretty sure it 'll buy MC14 :=)
1) You should make sure you have the latest MC14 release, there has been a lot of work in that area.
2) Are the PC and the PS3 both on the LAN side of the router??
3) Make just one profile in MC, use the PlayStation 3 selection.
4) Make sure your windows box firewall (if it's on) isn't blocking MC.

No matter what, you should SEE MC show up as a choice in the PS3 menus under video, audio and photos.

The divx and avi formats will play without conversion depending on what is in the container. We are working on that to be more flexible. The PS3 doesn't support all media types. Here is a good guide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software#Compatible_media_formats
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up