INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: Option to "do not persist manual changes to view schemes"  (Read 981 times)

tjobbins

• World Citizen

Hi all

Got a feature request that I hope might be pretty easy to add, and would be really useful to me:

I would like an option that causes manual changes to view schemes to not persist; so they revert as soon as the view is navigated away from.

What this means:

* With the option on, any change made to a view scheme outside of the Edit View Scheme menu are not saved and will revert when the user clicks out of this view scheme.

* So with the option enabled, none of the following will result in a permanent changes to the view scheme:
    * Clicking on a column header to sort it
    * Right click on the column header line to add or remove displayed columns
    * Changing Pane config by choosing the Panes > top line menu
    * Any similar live/manual changes to the view.

* But, if the user chooses Customize View, then changes he makes are saved if he chooses OK.  

* I would implement a global option to enforce this change on all schemes.  Ideally there would then be a per-scheme override property, allowing one to prevent manual changes to some but not all schemes (in the same way that certain schemes can be locked.)  But just having it global would be good enough for me.

Why this would be useful

My Audio view scheems has Album/Artist panes, and then sorts by 6 columns.  

I often find myself wanting to make a quick, temporary change to the view.  For example, if I'm tagging and looking at Unassigned, I might want to sort by Filename in order to get all album tracks together (because I know my albums are always in their own folders.) Or sometimes I want to drop the album thumbnail to get more columns fully visible without scrolling - also usually while running a tagging or fixup type procedure.

At the moment, any such change I make is permanent.  I then need to remember to revert the change, and if I forget then I probably find myself confused when I next use this scheme and find albums playing in the wrong order or no thumbnails visible.

I'd therefore like to be able to prevent these manual changes being saved.  If I need to make changes, I can do it in Customize View (or just toggle the option for a minute if I prefer to make the changes outside the Customize View Scheme dialog.)

Thanks

Tom

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Feature request: Option to "do not persist manual changes to view schemes"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »

Customize View/Advanced/Lock View?

tjobbins

• World Citizen
Re: Feature request: Option to "do not persist manual changes to view schemes"
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:29:06 pm »

Customize View/Advanced/Lock View?

This doesn't do very much - I already lock my audio view, and I can still change the sort order, colum spec etc on the fly and it persists.  Lock only seems to mean that when you go to Customize View and change it there, you have to choose Overwrite and it suggests you save as a new viwe.

That's kind of the opposite behaviour to what I want - I want Customize View changes to stick without warning, but manual/on the fly changes in the view window itself not to persist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up