INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote PVD Data Importing  (Read 1355 times)

Randy B

• Recent member
Remote PVD Data Importing
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »

Question related to PVDimport – I’m running PVD 0.9.9.17 and Firebird 2.1.3 on a networked laptop with XP Pro. I downloaded the latest version of MC14 (14.0.140 trial) and have everything working locally. Reading and experimenting with PVD and Firebird, it appears that it will not work if you separate the PVD\Movie.pvd file from Firebird. In other words, you cannot separate the location of the DB from the Firebird DB engine. 

My question- Does MC/PVDimport have to be local to the DB/FB as well? I want only 1 version of PVD DB and FB on my network, yet still be able to access the PVD DB via MC/PVDimport from several different copies of MC across my network. Confusing…….

Thanks in advance.

Randy B

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote PVD Data Importing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:32 am »

My question- Does MC/PVDimport have to be local to the DB/FB as well?

No. Firebird Server is a server. The requirement that whatever it's serving be local seems reasonable to me. It will serve to any computer that can access it.

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:56:41 am »

My question- Does MC/PVDimport have to be local to the DB/FB as well?

In principle MC/PvdImport should be able to access FB server on a remote PC (within the local network).

But I am not sure if anyone has ever tested this configuration (I haven't).

I'd be interested to hear from you how this goes if you decide to try. You may see issues with user privileges etc.

Randy B

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »

I have to travel for a few days, but will try remote access when I return. I’ll let you know how the testing goes.

Thanks

Randy B
Pages: [1]   Go Up