INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unlocking "Media Sub Type"  (Read 2730 times)

CadErik

• World Citizen
Unlocking "Media Sub Type"
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »

I found many discussions about unlocking this field... Any progress?

Erik

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unlocking "Media Sub Type"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:10:15 am »

Not that I've heard, or found out from the later builds. You'll have to make a new one. It depends what you really need the sub types for, but I've found the most use of this for videos. I use "Video Type" custom field with preset values like Series, Music Videos, Movies etc.

The standard field SHOULD be more comprehensive though. I don't mind it being locked, for the purpose of making good default view schemes as one example, but it should contain a lot more values.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 01:09:45 am »

yes I don't mind it being locked either. but it should have more values.
like  :o
Music

for just one example.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:33 am »

I love this program, but this field really is really quite useless when it comes down to it! As others have mentioned, your best option is to just create a custom field and be done with Media Sub Type. MC doesn't really make use of the Media Sub Type field anywhere in the program anyway.

There was a pretty lengthy discussion about this here.

It's our job to make the broad distinctions, yours to carve them up any way you wish.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:57:42 am »

MC doesn't really make use of the Media Sub Type field anywhere in the program anyway.

Actually it is used by MC for it's bookmark logic, and for loading stuff onto an iPod in the correct location.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:09:18 am »

Sorry, I stand corrected :) Still though, it could be used a lot more usefully in views/filters etc!

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:05 am »

It could, and it should imo. This way the standard view schemes in both Theater View and Standard view could be very much improved at default. It would be easier for MC to auto-magically filled out tags during import, even though most of the file types are hard to separate into one or a few Sub types (autotagger would help doing this more automatic I presume). It would at least give the users a good default view setup, and would only require the users to set the desired Sub Type. The newbie threshold would be moved a step in the right direction anyhow.

A simple example of a standard Theater View scheme that might work for many: Views for Normal Music, Classical, Podcasts etc under Audio. Views for Movies, Home movies, Series/TV Shows, Music Videos etc under Video.

What's needed is a comprehensive list of what tags that we really need.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:43:33 am »

Sorry, I stand corrected :) Still though, it could be used a lot more usefully in views/filters etc!

This field is the primary category for video navigation in theater view!!

Erik.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:04:53 am »

This field is the primary category for video navigation in theater view!!

Erik.

Erik, can't you just add your own custom field with your own types and replace "media sub type" with your own in theatrer view ?
MT5FR

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:37 am »

Erik, can't you just add your own custom field with your own types and replace "media sub type" with your own in theatrer view ?

Yes, probably but I started using "Media Sub Type" and I was wondering if it will be unlocked or if I should start using my own field.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:05 am »

The other problem with doing this is that you give up data portability (such as when moving files to an iPod), and the special bookmarking features in MC.  If you want to preserve both of these things, and still have flexibility, then you need to duplicate the tag into your own field and remember to manually manage BOTH fields.  That's no good.

I really don't feel like it has ever been adequately explained why this field can't be "manually unlocked".  I can understand why you don't want novice users mucking about with it, but why can't we have a "I know what I'm doing, so unlock this thing" button, which gives a pop-up with proper "this is unsupported and might kill your pet parrot" warning dialog?  That, or set it so it can be "additive-only"... Meaning: You can add (and then later delete) your own "Media Sub Types" but not delete or alter any of the stock ones.

All of the explanations for why this isn't possible have always amounted to "trust us, we have a reason, and we know what we're doing".  Well, I'm sorry, JRiver folks... I do generally trust you, and you do generally know what you're doing, but there have been people consistently asking for this for years and years.  And that means that something is wrong in the basic assumptions that led to the design decision.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:53 am »

It could, and it should imo. This way the standard view schemes in both Theater View and Standard view could be very much improved at default. It would be easier for MC to auto-magically filled out tags during import, even though most of the file types are hard to separate into one or a few Sub types (autotagger would help doing this more automatic I presume). It would at least give the users a good default view setup, and would only require the users to set the desired Sub Type. The newbie threshold would be moved a step in the right direction anyhow.

A simple example of a standard Theater View scheme that might work for many: Views for Normal Music, Classical, Podcasts etc under Audio. Views for Movies, Home movies, Series/TV Shows, Music Videos etc under Video.

What's needed is a comprehensive list of what tags that we really need.

I just wanted to say... I agree 100% with basically all of this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:09 am »

totally agree glynor, i would really like to be able to lock up all the fields that are greyed...media type for example  :)

so it was only a suggestion based on that maybe erik did not know that he could "manipulate" the theatre view

regarding "remember to manually manage BOTH fields.  That's no good."..maybe confishys' autotagger can help you a bit on the way
MT5FR

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:26:40 pm »

The other problem with doing this is that you give up data portability (such as when moving files to an iPod), and the special bookmarking features in MC.  If you want to preserve both of these things, and still have flexibility, then you need to duplicate the tag into your own field and remember to manually manage BOTH fields.
Maybe I'm missing something as far as what you mean about data portability (just a meager Sansa for me), but I've got two custom "subtype" tags, one filled with my own custom tags and one that automagically combines "Media Sub Type" and my custom "Sub Type" fields using the listcombine() function. It works well in that any automatically filled "Media Sub Type" tags are preserved and usable in my combined field, but I still have flexibility. It's a work around for sure, but it works (for me at least).

-JB

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:52 pm »

ok, here we go. user = your currently loged in user.

c:\"user"\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 14\Library
this folder has most of MC's field files one of these files is the "field (media sub type).jmd"

so far my attempts to open and edit this file have been fruitless.
My attempts at using notepad++ with every plug in and language option just show gibberish.

If anyone has better luck on how to edit the "field (media sub type).jmd"
I would appreciate the info

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:22 am »

but why can't we have a "I know what I'm doing, so unlock this thing" button, which gives a pop-up with proper "this is unsupported and might kill your pet parrot" warning dialog?  That, or set it so it can be "additive-only"... Meaning: You can add (and then later delete) your own "Media Sub Types" but not delete or alter any of the stock ones.

All of the explanations for why this isn't possible have always amounted to "trust us, we have a reason, and we know what we're doing".  Well, I'm sorry, JRiver folks... I do generally trust you, and you do generally know what you're doing, but there have been people consistently asking for this for years and years.  And that means that something is wrong in the basic assumptions that led to the design decision.

Right there with you!!  {+100 Karma points} esp the additive idea.
for my self I just want one extra sub type, "Music"
Pages: [1]   Go Up