INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do filters work?? (Problem with TV recording playback)  (Read 1527 times)

pwantzel

• World Citizen
How do filters work?? (Problem with TV recording playback)
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »

I have a problem in which TV recordings were playing back with only audio, no video.  Mentioned in another thread, but it was off the original topic, so I'm starting a new one.  

I connected the TV stick to the PC with a problem and discovered that live video wouldn't play here either.  But on further investigation I found it did work on some channels.  Seemed to be HD didn't work and SD did work.  I guessed it might be a filter problem.  So I did the export DirectShow to clipboard and found they were different.  But no matter how many times I read the stuff in the wiki talking about filters, I couldn't figure out how to change anything.  On the PC that works, I don't remember doing anything with filters beyond installing CCCP.  Might it be useful to remove and reinstall CCCP, getting the latest version?  

What I'd really like is a discussion of filters and how they work in MC that I can understand.  Can you point me anywhere?

PC that works is Vista Business X64 SP2, the one that doesn't is XP Pro SP3.

In case it's useful, here are the filters on the PC that works:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'AC3Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'AC3Filter'
        CLSID: {A753A1EC-973E-4718-AF8E-A3F554D45C44}
        Host: C:\Windows\SysWow64\ac3DX.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)'
        CLSID: {8ACD52ED-9C2D-4008-9129-DCE955D86065}
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD\VideoFilter\CLVsd.ax
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'SubPicture In'
        Output Pin '~Closed Caption Out'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'AC3Filter'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7)'

Filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        CLSID: {8303B00A-D9E3-4BD7-A79A-AD7077F54123}
        Host: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 14\TV\MJTSFileReader.ax
        Output Pin 'Audio Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Output Pin 'Video Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'

And here's the filters on the PC that doesn't (plays only audio, no video):
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'

Filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
        CLSID: {51B4ABF3-748F-4E3B-A276-C828330E926A}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'VMR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'Sonic CM(R) DS VideoDecoder 4.0'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {1B81BE0C-A0C7-11D3-B984-00C04F2E73C5}, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'VMR Input1'

Filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {0F40E1E5-4F79-4988-B1A9-CC98794E6B55}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\FFDShow\ffdshow.ax
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Input Pin 'In2'

Filter 'Sonic CM(R) DS VideoDecoder 4.0'
        CLSID: {D7D50E8D-DD72-43C2-8587-A0C197D837D2}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\CinemasterVideo.DLL
        Input Pin 'Video in'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Input Pin 'Subpicture in'
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'VMR Input0' of filter 'Video Mixing Renderer 9'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {1B81BE0C-A0C7-11D3-B984-00C04F2E73C5}, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~SPU Out'
        Output Pin '~CC Out'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Audio Decoder'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video Output' of filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video in' of filter 'Sonic CM(R) DS VideoDecoder 4.0'

Filter 'JRiver TS Reader Filter'
        CLSID: {8303B00A-D9E3-4BD7-A79A-AD7077F54123}
        Host: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 14\TV\MJTSFileReader.ax
        Output Pin 'Audio Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        Output Pin 'Video Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How do filters work?? (Problem with TV recording playback)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:10:55 am »

'Sonic CM(R) DS VideoDecoder 4.0' probably is part of the problem.  It was automatically loaded into the graph and it does not perform as it is supposed to.

To select a filter to use, go to Tools > Options > File Types.  Select file type jtv.  Select "JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)" as your "Playback Method".  Then select a video decoder and an audio decoder from the "Other Filters" list.  You do not need to select a "Source Filter" because MC automatically chooses the correct source filter for jtv files (for other file types you may or may not need to select a source filter).

Now what filters to select?

For audio, FFDShow Audio decoder and AC3Filter are automatically selected on your two computers respectively.  Since you do get audio, you may choose to use these.

For video, select an MPEG-2 decoder, (obviously do not choose Sonic CM(R) DS VideoDecoder 4.0).  Since you have installed CCCP, you can choose either "FFDShow Video Decoder" or "MPC- MPEG-2 Video Decoder (Gabest)".  You can experiment with either to decide which one gives you better result.  You may have other decoders to choose from.  You can experiment with them as well.  If you choose FFDShow, you need to make sure you configure FFDShow so it is set to decode MPEG-2.

More info on DirectShow filters, please read the wiki article on DirectShow.  The guide is slightly outdated because it refers to configuration methods for MC12.  For example it does not tell you about "File Types" option where you actually select filters in MC14.  Other than that, it is an excellent article from which to learn about DirectShow.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do filters work?? (Problem with TV recording playback)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:37:15 am »

More info on DirectShow filters, please read the wiki article on DirectShow.  The guide is slightly outdated because it refers to configuration methods for MC12.  For example it does not tell you about "File Types" option where you actually select filters in MC14.  Other than that, it is an excellent article from which to learn about DirectShow.

I know, I know... It is part of my mini-plan to eventually fix that up.  Of course, by the time I do it, you guys will revolutionize the UI again and mess me all up.   ;)  ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up