INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-processing before burning to CD?  (Read 1037 times)

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
Pre-processing before burning to CD?
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:26 am »

I recently bought a new car which has a CD player capable of playing MP3/WMA data disks.  I've burned a couple of test disks, but I'm finding that I'm constantly having to adjust the volume when playing them.  An open convertible is hardly an audiophile environment, so I'd like to apply some degree of range compression and leveling to my compilation CD's so that I can enjoy them without constantly having to take my attention from the primary task of driving.

Is there any way to apply volume leveling and/or dynamic range compression to files while (or prior to) burning them to CD?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pre-processing before burning to CD?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:23:16 am »

Currently DSP can only be applied to audio CDs, not data CDs.  I agree it would be a nice feature.

The need to reencode MP3 to MP3, etc. might turn some people off.  When burning an MP3 disk from APE files or similar (which is already supported) it wouldn't be an issue.

And congrats on the car.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Eccles

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mostly harmless.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:17 am »

Currently DSP can only be applied to audio CDs, not data CDs.  I agree it would be a nice feature.

The need to reencode MP3 to MP3, etc. might turn some people off.  When burning an MP3 disk from APE files or similar (which is already supported) it wouldn't be an issue.
Bummer.  I did consider manually re-encoding the files, but I don't see any DSP options available in that process either.

And congrats on the car.
Thanks! :)

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:10:39 pm »

Let me add another vote for this feature.

I've been creating MP3 disks for my car stereo for a number of years.  Like Eccles, I'd rather not have to adjust the volume control constantly.  My solution has been to use the program MP3 Gain.  I've set track gain at 92db.  I also have lossless versions on my PC of each track as well.  It would be nice if MC could create the data disk and apply the replay gain so that the resulting disk would be volume leveled. 

The same process could be used for output to folders on a hard drive or memory card.  With many cell phones using microSD, I can see where MC users would want to sync to handheld AND have the files volume leveled at the same time. Have an option to "Apply Replay Gain on Output" and a way to set the volume level to a given level.  Either a numeric value like 89 or 92, or +/- fixed amount, like we see in DSP studio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up