INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup method issue - looking for advice or other ideas  (Read 1514 times)

galahad1974

• World Citizen
Backup method issue - looking for advice or other ideas
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:39 pm »

I have 1 large array that stores all my Media, when it gets full, or a file isn't needed online any more, i Have an external drive dock, and i plug 1 of many 1 TB drive into it and move the files inside MC  onto the drive. currently i have each drive receive a different drive letter when plugged in, so that i can use protect network files to keep the entries from being deleted when that particular drive isn't the one plugged in. Well, thats getting to be a problem, i need to set it up so that all drive will be the same drive letter. is there a way to make MC recognize that the drive is removable, or a network drive, and not delete anything on it even if the drive exists and is online?
for example

right now.
drive h holds 18 TB of data and if files are deleted MC fixes the broken links
5 different external drives m,n,o,p,and q all hold a number of files.
when i need to backup files, i plug in q and move filels to i. the database keeps all my files for the other 4 drives intact because it sees them as offline network disks.

what i need to move to
drive h stays as is with the same behavior
all 5 other drives all now become drive L: when inserted. each has its own specific directory in the root to identify the disc visually ie "L:\archive disc 1\" on the first drive "L:\Archive Disc 2\" on the second and so on. i need jrmc to leave all files on l alone whether they exist on drive L currently or not.

is there a way for it to recognize that "L:\archive disc 1\" is the root object as opposed to just "L:", or to tell it that that drives entries are sacred?

The issue arises because im out of drive letters. or id just leave it the way it is.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Backup method issue - looking for advice or other ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:15:13 am »

I don't know the answer to your question.

A work around might be to turn off auto-import (and never manually start it). You will need to be disciplined to manually import all new media.

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55:38 am »

wouldn't simply turning off "fix broken links" accomplish the same thing without loosing import ability?

rjm

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:32 am »

wouldn't simply turning off "fix broken links" accomplish the same thing without loosing import ability?
probably, but I've never tried it, I'm super cautious in this area

galahad1974

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:16:49 am »

thanks for the suggestion but i have to keep both of those function intact. Heres hoping someone pipes up with something :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:10 am »

is there a way for it to recognize that "L:\archive disc 1\" is the root object as opposed to just "L:", or to tell it that that drives entries are sacred?

You could use the SUBST command.

I use it for creating my virtual X , Y: and Z: drive letters. My main library is imported form those drive letters and I use them on different PCs with various drive configurations. Depending on the situation I create the drive letters either from locally accessible folders or by mounting network shares.

For instance, one of my external drives which contains a selection of my favorite media files has two .bat files on the root, XYZ_on.bat and XYZ_off.bat:

XYZ_on.bat
Code: [Select]
subst X: T:\Mus
Subst Y: T:\Vid
subst Z: T:\Z
pause

XYZ_off.bat
Code: [Select]
subst X: /D
Subst Y: /D
subst Z: /D
pause

When I double-click the "on" file Windows creates the three drive letters from the three folder paths. The "off" file removes them. The pause command is not mandatory, I included it only for visual verification.

I have changed the drive's letter to T: on all PCs I use and after that Windows remembers the letter. However, if you really have run out of letters, Windows may apply a new drive letter each time one of the drives is connected and you may need to either type the command line or create several .bat files, one for each possible drive letter.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up