INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print List Options  (Read 1793 times)

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Print List Options
« on: October 15, 2009, 11:03:10 pm »

It would help to have an option to select what fields to print and a print to fit option when printing playlists.  For the purpose of fitting one song's select print fields on one page.    Otherwise long lines continue on to the next page as though I would tape them all together to make a poster.  What I try to print now yields eight pages instead only two.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Print List Options
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 11:33:55 pm »

You can add and remove columns before printing to change what columns will print.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:46 am »

I realize that.  I set up my column layouts for the purpose of using them far more differently than how I would ever require printing or exporting them as a list.  Removing columns, creating and changing column layouts seems like a round about way of managing the simple task of printing a list.  It would be better to handle it through a print dialog like you can when you print a cd label or cover.

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:25:55 am »

I have had print issues (not enough control - particularly the automatic column width issue) for the three years I have been using MC.  I don't think improving the print capability is a high priority (translate - not enough people interested).  I solved it by exporting to Excel manually and using Excel to format.
John

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 02:36:15 pm »

A full-blown WYSIWYG print dialog would obviously be better, but have you tried creating separate view with column selections set to produce a suitable format? You could create as many as you need, and once configured they would need to be changed.

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »

Yes, but that forces me to make changes to the playlist layout at the moment I should not have to.  However, if you leverage the layout structure as you suggest, then I would say make those choices available in a print dialog.  Still a more direct export of that 'print view' should be handled at some level within its own dialog.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:13 pm »

Yes, but that forces me to make changes to the playlist layout at the moment I should not have to.

If you're working in a separate view, send whatever you want included in a list (probably all tracks in the current view) to a playlist and set your "print view" to display that playlist. The handling of what records to include and which columns to display is not going to be any more efficient than using a view to do so. What's missing (and probably not much in demand) is any control over the actual formatting of the list.

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:38:17 pm »

To me these are work-arounds for a feature that should simply have its own dialog.  If you and me are the only ones that say they want it does not mean it would not be a welcome, logical but not critical, addition to the interface and usable by many.

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:32:24 am »

I don't care. I just don't want you unnecessarily killing trees in the meantime.

Hamyrenz

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:27 pm »

It would help to have an option to select what fields to print and a print to fit option when printing playlists.  For the purpose of fitting one song's select print fields on one page.    Otherwise long lines continue on to the next page as though I would tape them all together to make a poster.  What I try to print now yields eight pages instead only two.

It is actually a good option in printing and it is also well organize.