INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist to burner order  (Read 1093 times)

sekim

Playlist to burner order
« on: July 04, 2002, 05:29:09 pm »

How do you keep MJ from scrambling an arranged playlist sent to the burner? MJ has the habit of taking a carefully made list and alphabetizing it. Not what I want for these types of lists. There some setting I'm missing?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Playlist to burner order
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 05:33:43 pm »

Not that i can see, after a edit of the burn list it also sorts.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 06:41:31 pm »

If you're burning data CD's (ie MP3's rather than CDA Audio) then the problem is really with the player/reader.
MJ burns them in order, but when read by typical devices, including your PC, they get read aphabetically.
One solution:
Before burning, copy the files to another directory (anywhere).
Import the copies and sort them by date.  This should put them in the order in which they were copied.
Goto the properties dialogue box and under tools, "fill track numbers from list order".
Then, again under tools, "rename files from properties".  As a template use say track#-artist-album or something of your choosing so long as track# comes first.
Now burn the tracks to the data CD and even when they are sorted alphabetically by a player/device they will still be in the order that you wish.
After burning delete the copies from you HD.
I do this all the time and while it may sound complex, I can do it for a CD full of say 10 folderised playlists in about 10 minutes.

Another target for a future wizard, along with crossfaded audio - Matt?

ciggieoxo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2002, 12:25:32 am »

Callithumpian is a genius~! I've been looking for the answer to the play order for a long time and before Callithumpian's message all attempts to order hit the alphabetical (actually alphanumeric)brick wall.

Before Callithumpian's solution I had been so desparate that I started using a awkward "fix" by preceeding the mp3 file names with numbers since 001filename, 002filename, et cetera. This works alphanumerically -- but is so clumsy.

So Thank You~!

jolo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2002, 05:36:40 pm »

Great answer Callithumpian !!
I key on the date myself.

It would by great to have a feature like Record Now (burning software), which allows you to easily change the order of MP3s as easily as if you were burning directly from a CD. You can drag the files whereever you want on the list.

This is not a criticism of MJ, just a feature that would cool to have. Nero, which does only burning and is one of the oldest CD burning products does not have this feature either.

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2002, 09:12:53 am »

Similar problems.  I find that MJ scambles a playlist you might be working with.  I have taken to copying the constructed playlist and pasting it into a new playlist.  It is a bit cumbersome.

Could JRiver add an some ability "save" a playlist, meaning that the software would not scramble to the order of the playlist you were working with?  Thanks in advance.

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 09:47:40 pm »

Callitumpian solution is certainly viable, but is complex indeed. It would be very cool if MJ8 could help us more! After all it shouldn't be difficult. The burn list includes a Sequence field: it would be very nice to add an option, in the burning dialog, to add that sequence number (left-padded with zeroes when applicable) in front of the file name. Simple and elegant, I think.... and a great feature to advertize: "listen to your data cd tracks in the order you want".
Any chance to add such a feature to MJ8?
Luigi
Luigi1943

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2002, 06:54:48 am »

Prefixing a playlist order number to the name has been a problem because our low level burn library doesn't allow renaming files "on-the-fly". Hopefully we can get that addressed in version 9.
MJ creates and burns a "playlist.m3u" file on data discs which maintains your playlist order, so if your player supports them you could go that route.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 07:07:45 am »

John T.,

The problem--really more an annoyance--is not whether the play order is maintained when burned.  That is fine for most burners (or at least mine).

The issue is working on a playlist that then gets scrambled the next time you return to the playlist.  The only option I have found is to copy the list and paste it into a new playlist.

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 09:52:56 pm »

Thanks John T, I'll be waiting for version 9. The playlist.m3u unfortunately is not used by my Rio SP90 player, at least I've not been able to force it to use it... and, anyway, I'm burning folderized data CDs, and I would maintain the order within each folder as I jump to them.
Luigi1943

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2002, 09:24:07 pm »

John T
would it be easier to allow a "folderized" copy of tracks? Or a CD image on the harddisk that could be edited manually ("Burn to harddisk")? (The details of my request are in the wish list, number 404, and I'm copying it down here). In this case I could edit manually the filenames in the copy and then burn the CD using my Easy CD Creator, which by the way allows renaming the files in the burn list without affecting the original names.
Thanks for your attention: the problem of the listening order on portable players is a real one.
Luigi

Wish 404: Copy option strongly desired
The CD burning dialog allows to choose a folder option, including the possibility to "mirror" the folder structure present in the harddisk, which is very useful if you want to create a CD backup of your track files.
The move/copy dialog, instead, copies everything you have selected into a single folder (at least I've not been able to do anything else).
It would be very useful to allow, in the move/copy dialog, the same folder options allowed in the Burn dialog.
Consider, just for example, the case you wish to add later on, in the CD backup, additional files which are not in the MJ data base, or the case of an incremental backup into a DirectCD support.
An alternative way to achieve the same result would be having the option, in the Burn dialog, to create a sort of image of the CD on the hard disk, instead of an immediate burn.
Anyone else would like this feature?
Thanks
Luigi
Luigi1943
Pages: [1]   Go Up