INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reply Gain = Dynamic range compression  (Read 1348 times)

P.J

• Recent member
Reply Gain = Dynamic range compression
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:07:21 am »

Is Reply Gain the same as dynamic range compression for movies or WDR in images?
My problem is that I can't listen with headphone more than 30 minutes. Even at normal volume, the sound hurts my ears. I don't like the loudness.
So I need to something to decrease the difference between loudness and quietness and make the sound softer :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Reply Gain = Dynamic range compression
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:45:00 pm »

Replay Gain does not compress the dynamic range, only adjust the relative volumes of entire songs.

There are a lot of dynamic range compressors available as VST / DirectShow DSP plugin-ins, which Media Center supports.

I think you may find range compressed music more fatiguing instead of less.  The over compression of modern music is generally regarded as a bad thing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:49:18 pm »

I think you may find range compressed music more fatiguing instead of less.  The over compression of modern music is generally regarded as a bad thing.
This is very true. Do a Google search for "loudness war" and you'll probably find a plethora of information on the subject. Here's the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war) to start you off, if you're interested.

For some music, the DSP Studio -> Headphones -> Crossfeed feature may also help with ear fatigue. This tends to help more with older music though.

-JB

P.J

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »

Thank you :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up