INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glissando Remote Client for Media Jukebox - release 0.0.1  (Read 2276 times)

zigguratt

• World Citizen
Glissando Remote Client for Media Jukebox - release 0.0.1
« on: July 04, 2002, 11:33:46 am »

This is the very first release of Glissando. This is definitely pre-alpha stuff so don't expect perfection. It's now available on my server: http://www.syrinx.net/files/Glissando.0.0.1.zip.

From the readme.txt:

"Glissando is a stand-alone Flash client for Media Jukebox. It communicates with a drastically modified Web Remote plugin over a network via XML messages.

"This is a PRE-ALPHA release!  It is not complete, finished, done, or even close to beta. I just wanted to get it out there for comments and problem reports."

Let me know what you think!
The latest version of Glissando can be had here.

PhatPhreddy

RE:Glissando Remote Client for Media Jukebox - release 0.0.1
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 11:38:37 am »

Holy Smokes !!! I just thought I would check in here and what great news !!!!

Problem is all my PC's are in Frieght and will not be accessable until mid next week at best... I fly to SE Asia midday tommorow !!

Does it rely on the web remote plug in or is it independant...

I am realy hyped now !!!

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 11:58:02 am »

It relies on the Web Remote plugin but I've made the plugin spit up XML. Eventually I'm hoping jriver will make the SDKs accessible from external applications, but for now it's all we've got.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2002, 01:52:18 pm »

zig,
I got it working.  Looks great!  We should try to get you together with Matt and Nikolay by phone when it works for you.  This is really cool!

Thanks for your efforts,

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 02:26:53 pm »

No problem, Jim. It's the least I could do after you guys opened up MJ like that. I was one of the original people bugging you about this over on AVS several months ago. I remember trying to explain why we would want this remote access.  :)

I'd be happy to talk with Matt and Nikolay by phone. I'd like to expand and polish this thing to make it the obvious choice for remote access to Media Jukebox. Some time mid-day (EDT) would be good for me. Email me so we can make arrangements.

Swordsman74

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 07:39:15 am »

Hi Ziggurratt,
  Great job!  It's working great and I like the interface - it contains everything I need!  I just have one note and two questions...
  As a note, it might help others if you specify in your install instructions that the MJ Web Remote port and the xmlport value in glissando.txt have to be the same.  I had trouble connecting until I made that change.
  First question - and I hope you don't think I'm being greedy.  I know this is in Alpha stage, but I thought it would be worth bringing up now.  Do you think it would be possible at some point to give the Flash a text file of attributes to "skin" the layout?  This would be to change locations of parts, include/disable parts, change colors, etc.
  The second question is instead of including the flash and the .exe app together, would it be difficult to separate them?  I have a use to display the flash in a web page instead of as a stand-alone application.  It could live in the plugins directory with the .exe, I would just give my web page the path to find it.  However, if you and the JRiver folks are talking about making your Flash available for Track Info pages, then this would be redundant...
  I realize these might be version 1.1 requests, but I just wanted to see what you (and everyone else) thinks about them.

Thanks!
     Matt L.

mICHAEL

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2002, 02:44:44 pm »

All I'm getting is "Testing network connection".Looks pretty cool though

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2002, 06:01:37 pm »

Thanks, Matt! I'm glad you like it. Note noted: I'll mention in the docs that both ports must be set to the same number.

I do plan to make the interface skinnable. It wasn't built with that in mind but I can see people wanting that feature so I'll start thinking about how that might be done. As you said, this is a future consideration but that's why I released Glissando now: to get people's opinions early and build accordingly.

Glissando doesn't have to be an ".exe". I can release the ".swf" file as well for people to put in a web browser. I just thought it would be way more convenient for people to run if it was executable. The other way one would need to download the Flash MX plugin. I always go for the simplest solution.

Does anyone else have a use for the swf file?

mICHAEL, have you set both ports to the same value and is it a number above 1024? And have you downloaded the Web Remote plugin from this site before dropping the DLL in the Plugins directory? And are you using a version of Media Jukebox >= 8.0.315?

Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2002, 04:16:39 am »

I'm using 8.0318.Port 8080.Don't know what you mean by "before dropping the DLL in the Plugins directory"

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2002, 04:24:29 am »

So you've set Web Remote to port 8080 and you've edited the glissando.txt file so that xmlport is 8080 and xmlurl points to the machine on which MJ is running (e.g. localhost if running Glissando on the same machine as MJ).

You need to download the Web Remote plugin from this site so that everything is registered properly. After you've done that, take the dll I supplied with Glissando and drop it in the MJ Plugins directory, replacing the DLL that was installed there.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2002, 05:36:52 am »

Replacing the dll did it.Can you get to the library,playlists from here.Not sure if these are working yet but mine looks like this

Wade in the Water(song name)

Author:Unknown
                                             Year:Unknown
                                             Gene:Rock/Pop
                                             Playlist:

01:Have a Little Faith
                                             02:Lets Do It
                                             03:song name
                                             "so on and so on"

Chambers Brother,The-Love Pease & Happiness

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2002, 05:57:08 am »

Glad you got it working.

Nope, no playlist manipulation yet. It's coming, of course. Glissando's not much use without it! :) This is a very early release so quite a few things are missing or incomplete, not the least of which is access to your music library.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2002, 06:45:25 am »

Great Job.Keep it comming

Friar

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2002, 04:55:13 pm »

Help!

So I have d/l'd latest version (318). Downloaded web access plug in and installed. Changed port address to 8080 as instructed.

Changed xmlurl to port 8080 and tested s/w using local host (have tried leaving 'local host' and my i/p addess - same outcome.

When running MJ, run Glissando and it connects via the nextwork but then MJ closes with following error message:

MSVisual C|PLS||PLS| run time Library

Runtime error!

Program ..... mj.exe

abnormal program termination.

Got any ideas? I am clearly a newbie!

Thanks - Friar

Friar

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2002, 05:09:50 pm »

I didn't have anything defined in the playlist on MJ - setup a playlist and all is now working.

Friar

zigguratt

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2002, 01:38:57 am »

Ah, interesting. I'll look into that, as simply having an empty playlist shouldn't crash MJ! :)

nila

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2002, 05:46:42 am »

Just tried it and it's nice.
It'd definitely be nice as a web page interface like web remote - ie. swf file instead of .exe or as well as.

Volume can be adjusted by clicking on the slider - be nice if I could click at any position along the volume too and have the slide move to this position.

Agreed that without playlist control it definitely is kind of useless but like you said - pre-alpha so it's coming :).

Be nice to be able to choose the info that's show for each track in the playlist display.

An exit button would also be nice :)

Good luck on it though, it's nice so far.
Pages: [1]   Go Up