INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded to 14 - ASIO no longer works  (Read 2372 times)

p7389

• World Citizen
Upgraded to 14 - ASIO no longer works
« on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:17 am »

I just upgraded to 14, but when setting playback to ASIO, I now get as much stutter as I get sound.

The thing is, ASIO has worked perfectly for me on exactly this configuration in 13. I see no reason why it wouldn't in 14.

My config is: Win 7 x64. Asus Xonar DX soundcard. 14.0.96.

I tried WASAPI, and that works. I'm not sure, is this in any way inferior to ASIO? If it isn't, maybe I'll just use it instead.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

p7389

• World Citizen
Re: Upgraded to 14 - ASIO no longer works
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:09:01 am »

Alright, WASAPI - no good. Killed every other sound on my system.

ASIO - setting buffer to max, it seemed to work. But why should I need to do that? It worked with the standard, small buffer before.

So I tried turning off the "use large hardware buffer (recommended to prevent stutter)"-option. Now it works (counter-intuitive...), with the buffer its usual size.

I sure would like an explanation of this! But I'm glad it seems to be solvéd.

We'll see what happens when I start taxing the copmuter as I listen.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:40:32 am »

I just upgraded to 14, but when setting playback to ASIO, I now get as much stutter as I get sound.

The thing is, ASIO has worked perfectly for me on exactly this configuration in 13. I see no reason why it wouldn't in 14.
Are you using ASIO4ALL for either MC13 or MC14?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 07:43:28 am »

WASAPI - no good. Killed every other sound on my system.
Right below where you set WASAPI, the next option allows you to use WASAPI in "exclusive" mode.  Uncheck that.
ASIO - setting buffer to max, it seemed to work. But why should I need to do that? It worked with the standard, small buffer before.
What hardware are you using?  IF it's a DAC, see our wiki on settings.
So I tried turning off the "use large hardware buffer (recommended to prevent stutter)"-option. Now it works (counter-intuitive...), with the buffer its usual size.
Knowing what you hardware you use might help.

A power down and reboot wouldn't hurt.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:14:46 pm »

I thought my general hardware wouldn't matter as it worked out-of-the-box on 13, and I did say that I use an Asus Xonar DX soundcard on Windows 7. But here goes:

Gigabyte P55-UD3
Intel Core i5 750
Asus ATI Radeon 5850
2x2 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz

Is that relevant?

Thanks for the WASAPI-solution, but I'll just stay with ASIO. But it's still curious why it wouldn't work directly, and what the implication is of the setting I unchecked.

(And yes, I rebooted multiple times - long time computer user  ;D)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:49 pm »

Asus Xonar DX was what I was looking for.  Does it have an ASIO driver?   Or are you using ASIO4ALL?

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:34:31 pm »

It's got an ASIO-driver. And it worked on 13. The *only* difference in my system is that I've installed 14.

Just to be clear though. It still works. But there was some trial and error in the setting involved, as described in the second post.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 04:02:07 pm »

It's got an ASIO-driver. And it worked on 13. The *only* difference in my system is that I've installed 14.

Just to be clear though. It still works. But there was some trial and error in the setting involved, as described in the second post.

Your soundcard must not like it when we try to explicitly set the card to its maximum hardware buffer size.

This is a new option in Media Center 14 that's on by default.  This is the first hardware I've heard of having problems with it.

It seems like a driver problem to me, since we're requesting it use a hardware size it reports it supports. (the ASIO call getBufferSize returns a default, min, and maximum -- this new option uses the maximum instead of the default)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 04:09:56 pm »

In build 98 and later:
Changed: If hardware fails to create large ASIO buffers, the program will fallback to the default size. (relates to ASIO option 'Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)')

This will make the 'Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)' option meaningless on your machine, but please test and see that it does at least work with the option enabled.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 08:43:10 pm »

In build 98 and later:
Changed: If hardware fails to create large ASIO buffers, the program will fallback to the default size. (relates to ASIO option 'Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)')

This will make the 'Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)' option meaningless on your machine, but please test and see that it does at least work with the option enabled.

Thanks.

Just tried re-enabling the setting with latest version (.0.106), and it produced the same problem as before.
Pages: [1]   Go Up