INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help...Migrating files, library, and playlists to new computer  (Read 2565 times)

goose2

• World Citizen

I tried this about a month ago and screwed it up so badly I had to do a complete restore. (luckily I had a recent backup...Retrospect is awesome). I need to move about 30k music files, one default library, and a couple hundred playlists from my old machine to the new one. When I tried this before, I got files and library across intact after some fiddling and head scratching...but all my playlists were empty. Everything is intact again on the old machine and I'm ready to try again. So, here is the configuration: The files are on D drive on the old 'puter. I can install the old D drive containing my files in the new machine and it will become F drive. (New machine has a new D drive waiting for my files). I then need to move the files from the old D (now F) to the new D. The last time I tried this using "rename, move & copy"...then restoring a library backup from the old to the new...I got duplicate files on the new D and my playlists were empty. Obviously I hadn't specified the right action and I only messed it up worse trying to fix it. Could someone PLEASE help me out with this....If I have to go through all that again I may not survive it....and the old machine is showing signs of its imminent demise.
Many thanks and eternal gratitude,,,,,,,

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Please help...Migrating files, library, and playlists to new computer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:23:12 pm »

Basically your moving your files to the same drive letter (D) with the same file structure. If this is the case Backup a copy of MC on the old computer. On the new computer use windows explorer to move the files from F to D. Start MC on new computer. Restore the Backup. DONE.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 09:07:54 pm »

Basically your moving your files to the same drive letter (D) with the same file structure. If this is the case Backup a copy of MC on the old computer. On the new computer use windows explorer to move the files from F to D. Start MC on new computer. Restore the Backup. DONE.

Thanks for a speedy reply 221.....when you say to backup a copy of MC, do you mean a library backup? And another dumb question: is my playlist data in the library backup and how can I verify this?....or do I need to move playlists as a separate action? The reason I ask is because I thought that is effectively what I tried the first time (although by different means) and my playlist contents were lost. Also, after much searching of the forums here, I gathered that the cardinal rule of moving files was to avoid using windows explorer and use only MC functions for moving. I'm not doubting your expertise, just wondering if there might be something unique to my setup that caused my problems the first go-round.
Thanks

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »

when you say to backup a copy of MC, do you mean a library backup?
Yes

is my playlist data in the library backup
Yes

how can I verify this?
Create a new library, with nothing in it on your old computer. Restore a library backup. Everything should be the same. Only thing that will be different on the new computer is that thumbnails will be missing and need to be rebuild which MC will do automatically by default.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your doing, MC shouldn't change a thing since nothing has changed.

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:42:24 am »

Create a new library, with nothing in it on your old computer. Restore a library backup. Everything should be the same. Only thing that will be different on the new computer is that thumbnails will be missing and need to be rebuild which MC will do automatically by default.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what your doing, MC shouldn't change a thing since nothing has changed.

This all makes more sense now....create a new library...restore the previous backed up library and check to make sure everything is intact, right? If so, I'm good to go. Many thanks for the help...I'll post my results.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 02:41:45 pm »

If you haven't done so yet, be sure to read this recent thread over here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55112.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »

Yeah, now try doing it where the library resides on a networked sharing drive and the os is going from xp to windows 7, it is really fun.  ;D

TC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:32:03 pm »

Yeah, now try doing it where the library resides on a networked sharing drive and the os is going from xp to windows 7, it is really fun.  ;D

My system at home is that way, and it works fine.  I have 4 Windows 7 64-bit machines and 2 XP machines that all access the same library on the same network drive.

I just recently moved (late September, when the RTM was widely available) all of my primary machines over from XP to Windows 7 64-bit, including the machine that serves the network drive.  I experienced absolutely no JRiver-related issues.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

goose2

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 06:51:15 pm »

The deed is done...and it all worked just like it was supposed to. I had some anxious moments when playlists showed empty again, but a second library restore fixed that. Thanks for all your help...made my day!
Pages: [1]   Go Up