INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Word of caution if you use Playlist Groups in a View Scheme  (Read 812 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Word of caution if you use Playlist Groups in a View Scheme
« on: December 08, 2009, 02:38:48 pm »

I thought I had a brilliant idea today, and spent the last few hours re-organizing my View Schemes accordingly. I leaned something.

I had multiple view schemes that included a "searches" pane for things like "recently imported" and "highly rated" and "To tag" among others.  But I kept repeating this pane (and hence each of the searches) multiple times in my various schemes. Then I had the brilliant idea to create a Playlist Group instead called "Common Searches" under which I had smartlists for those same searches, ie "recently imported", "highly rated" etc.  Then in each of my view schemes I just changed the pane to be a Playlist Group pane instead of searches. Voila: if I needed to modify or add a common search, I could just do it once in the Playlist Group.

Mistake.

Not all my files were being displayed in my Schemes. It took a while to figure it out, but it turns out that using the Playlist Group only displays the total of all the files contained in it's smartlists. In other words, unless you also include a smartlist in the group to find "all files" in the database, you will only get the sum total of the files that are in the smartlists. In my case, only that files that were in "recently imported" or "Highly rated" or "To Tag" were being displayed in the entire view scheme.

So this is a heads up for anyone else using Playlist Groups in their schemes. If you want all files to be displayed according to your View Scheme's "set rules for file display", you will have to include a smartlist for "all files" under the Playlist Group being displayed.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up