INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIPPING CD'S AT A FASTER SPEED??  (Read 2258 times)

Julio Bracero

RIPPING CD'S AT A FASTER SPEED??
« on: July 03, 2002, 07:11:22 pm »

HI, I CHANGED FROM WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 8.0 TO MEDIA JUKEBOX... A WISE CHOICE!! HOWEVER, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE RIPPING PROCESS - IT'S EXTREMELY SLOW, AT LEAST COMPARED TO WMP. A WHOLE CD TAKES LIKE, 10 MIN... THE STATUS BAR FIRST SAYS "SCANNING" THEN "ENCODING" THEN "COPYING"... A SONG TAKES 2 MINUTES. I TRIED RIPPING IN WMA FORMAT BUT IT'S STILL TO SLOW. I'M NEW WITH THIS SO IF SOMEONE KNOWS A WAY SO SPEED UP THINGS, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE.

ICQ - 92439319

JULIO

Lucy

RE:RIPPING CD'S AT A FASTER SPEED??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2002, 08:04:00 pm »

I think 10 minutes for a CD is not that bad

Galley

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2002, 09:18:58 pm »

There are a lot of factors involved, but I get 20-25x MP3 encoding with RealOne Player Plus.  With MJB, it's MUCH slower. :-(

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2002, 11:48:14 pm »

I get faster rip with RealJukebox than with Media Jukebox
I speak about mp3

But when i play the mp3,the mp3 ripped with Media Jukebox sound much much better than the ones ripped with RealJukebox

You cannot get lobster in a fast food,do you?
The same for ripping

cdrmaker

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2002, 03:31:20 pm »

what operating system are you using? I Have XP and for some reason every 5-15 cd's riped cause my transfer mode to go from DMA (where I get 11x - 13x) to PIO (Where I get 6X. Is any body else having this problem? Is It XP or MJ causing the transfer mode to change? Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone Repprodude it?
Let Me Know
Joe

sekim

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2002, 03:40:24 pm »

Julio,

Another way to do this is to rip to the APE format. Next do a batch format conversion while you sleep or are away. Note, this takes a lot of space on harddrives to accomplish. But the results will be just as good as ripping to the final format.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2002, 03:42:22 pm »

>> You cannot get lobster in a fast food,do you?
Yes At Lobster And Go, Fast Food Drive Thru

They Have Shrimp And Fish Also.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Influxor

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2002, 03:43:48 pm »

as far as encodeing goes, take in mind the difference in encodeing systems or codecs.. im not sure what real uses to encode- MJB uses lame encoder which has excellent quality - but is a slower encoder than some. i prefer useing cool edit pro and Fraunhofer IIS to encode as it is both fast and very good quality.

nila

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2002, 06:12:42 pm »

What I'd like to see in the option box is this:

4 choices:

- Rip Whole CD then encode
- Rip Whole CD and encode in the background after the first song is ripped
- Rip then encode song by song
- Rip and encode simultaneously

This is what it really needs as the options I personally reckon.
When I'm borrowing someone's cd while they're waiting in the car for me to give it back I'd use the first one to get the cd quickly.
If I was again in the same circumstances but with a higher spec computer I'd do the second.
Third is if I'm low on hard drive space.
Fourth is if I'm SUPER low on space.

DillWeed

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2002, 06:35:46 pm »

Zevele-

That lobster thing, its beautiful. Absolutely hilarious.

Well done,

-DW

JULIO BRACERO

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2002, 11:03:26 pm »

TO EVERYONE, THANKS FOR THE TIPS... FOR THE CURIOUS, I HAVE A HP PAVILION N5440 LAPTOP, WITH XP, 128MB, ALL DRIVERS UP TO DATE, SAVAGE CARD, ETC.

FIRST OFF, I CHANGED (NO WAIT ---> UPGRADED!!) FROM WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER BECAUSE, SILLY XP, SOMEHOW LOST ALL MY LICENSES FOR MY MUSIC!! TECH SUPPORT SAID IT WAS PROBABLY A GLITCH IN SYSTEM RESTORE. I NOW HAVE TO RIP MOST OF MY FILES AGAIN. AND ALL OF THESE FILES CAME FROM MY CD'S!! WHICH MEANT I COULD NOT EVEN ACCESS MY GODDAMN MUSIC!! IT'S LIKE FINDING OUT ALL THE LOCKS OF YOUR HOUSE HAVE BEEN CHANGED WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. IRONICALLY, MOST OF THE FILES I COULD ACCESS WERE DOWNLOADED MP3'S FROM WINMX, WHICH FORM ONLY A SMALL PART OF MY COLLECTION. THE FILES I DIDN'T BUY, I CAN PLAY??!! GO FIGURE!

ANYHOW I'M SO PISSED OFF AT WINDOWS THAT I CHANGED TO MEDIA JUKEBOX. I JUST HAVE TO PLAY AROUND WITH THE APP - I'LL PROBABLY PAY THE $30 FOR THE FULL DEAL.

AND, YES, THE LOBSTER COMMENT IS RIGHT -----> IT'S BETTER TO WAIT AND GET A GOOD RECORDING THAN A SLOPPY ONE.

sekim

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2002, 01:36:00 am »

Julio,

You won't be sorry if you get this gem. It does so many things so well.

Forgot to mention one other, and faster way to rip. Fastest of all actually, rip to uncompressed wave and then convert format. Again, space demanding when done this way.

Anyway, enjoy the ride.

ps - kill the caps, please.

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2002, 02:24:05 am »

Julio

TO USE BIG CAP LETTER IS SCREAM
All of us would like very much you to use small letters

Concerning your problem with Windows MediaPlayer 8 and XP

There is -hidden- a program who , the day Microsoft wants it, can block any of you music you ripped with Windows Mediaplayer,or you buy using Windows Mediaplayer as the player to this music
In fact there is more than it.One day ,Xp users will have many BIG SURPRISES,and not good ones

Stay away of Microsoft with your music,not even use Windows format-WMA

If you have room,the best to do is to rip cds to APE format
And,when going away or sleeping to convert to format you want

The only problem is that you need some room on your hard drive-I have 188 songs on APE taking 4,56 GB
Of cause you do not need to keep this songs on APE format,after you had convert to the format you want.Just delete them
This is a good way  cause to rip to APE is very very fast
You can play music from Kazza ,because they are not encoded with Windows Mediaplayer
Just stay away from anything from Microsoft for your music

JULIO BRACERO

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2002, 10:22:14 am »

GUYS---> Sorry about the CAPS.

The comments about Window's software - and let's not forget Sony - are very right. Microsoft and the RIAA complain about "music piratery" but most users are end users: people who buy their own music and rip their own CD's. Mostly to friends, it's true, but mainly for our own personal use. While I understand the preoccupation with music piracy - I've been to Central America, where I bought CD's on the street for 1.50 - ultimately, the end user is the one who is getting ripped off.

My case is an example. Of course, I cannot sue Microsoft, or anyone from that matter, because my system lost my license files. The reppercutions of losing those files are clearly stated in the End User's License Agreement of ALL software, including Media Jukebox. Fore newbies, if these behavior worries you, just clear the box that says, "protect content" (or something like that) and that's it.

If they really wanted to "protect the artist's right to earn a rightful income from its work" etc etc, why don't I just send $5 to the artist and that's it?

This post is a bit long.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2002, 10:34:22 am »

Now the Type Is To Small For Me To Read, Turn The Caps Back On.

Or MaYbE CaP 50% Of ThE LeTtErS So ThE VoLuMe Is NoT To LoAd
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JULIO BRACERO

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2002, 03:53:10 pm »

Very funny King Sparta. The letters are fine like everyone else's :-)

By the way... it took me almost 30 min to rip a 16 song album to MP3, 80 kbs... I need to check what settings I have, 'cause to me that's a bit slow. I'm using my laptop's drive and not a CD-RW.

PS. If you can't see the letters... ditch Internet Explorer and download the Opera web browser, it allows zooming in without a hitch.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2002, 04:01:08 pm »

By the way, i have found it better to rip to WAV and then when you sleep, convert the WAV to MP3 it is much faster since you do not need to wait for encoding to mp3.

in the converter settings, send the orginal wav to the trash bin.

when you wake up in the morning all will be done, and the only thing left is the coffee.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2002, 01:52:34 am »

I must not have said it just right....

Funkstar

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2002, 07:26:24 am »

thats what i do. i have a 60gig drive dedicated to my MP3 lbrary and fill it up with ripped WAV files then when i'm at work this aging hunk of junk (P2 450) can churn through them all converting them to MP3.

Got most of my collection converted, only got about 30 albums to go, not bad for a 500 album collection :)

encoding settings: Lame MP3, 160Kbit, High Quality

very good quality! the sound amazing on my iPaq using PocketDivx Player and a pair of Sony MDR-G52 headphones

Allen

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2002, 08:09:49 am »

Hey, When you guys are ripping to wave or ape, and then encoding to mp3 in one large batch, what happens with the id3 tagging? does CDDB work in the background and lookup all these files, or are you doing it another way. (I assume they are getting tagged somehow.

Thanks, Allen

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2002, 11:32:05 am »

You get infos about the disc when putting it in your cdr.So Ape or wave have tags.You get the mp3 with the same tags

cjdshaw

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2002, 05:16:56 pm »

I agree with Nila. The full four options would be nice, rather than just the last two. My DVD-ROM is pretty noisy, so I'd usually use second one. I just want to keep the disk spinning as little as possible
Pages: [1]   Go Up