INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there a plug in for an MPIO DMK mp3 player?  (Read 2127 times)

john

is there a plug in for an MPIO DMK mp3 player?
« on: July 03, 2002, 06:25:36 pm »

I just picked up one of these little babies for jogging, and it's quite cool (about the size of a slightly large Nutter Butter cookie).  I could not find a plug-in on the website.  Any plans for the future?

Now, off to store to buy Nutter Butters....

Steve

RE:is there a plug in for an MPIO DMK mp3 player?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 06:42:19 am »

john,

We have a Plug-in ready to go, but we are waiting for MPIO to complete some modifications they are making to the code we use to connect to their player. Hopefully we will have something soon.

Steve (JRiver)

PS Nutter Butters rock.

Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 11:06:06 am »

Good news..

There is now a Plug-in available for the MPIO players. You can find it at http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=8&start=0&end=5&page=1

The bad news is that there are still some limitations that digitalway is trying to fix. You will be unable to manage folders with this version and it also does not report the bitrate of files correctly.  The last problem is that it does not handle external media cards very well. As far as I can tell, all these problems are the same with Digitalway's software.  

Our contact at Digitalway is working on this, and as soon as I have a fix I will post a new Plug-in. For now, if you can work with this and let me know any problems, that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

john

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2002, 06:36:29 pm »

Steve:

Thanks for the great responsiveness.  I'll download and report back.  I like my MPIO DMK a lot so far.  I hate running without a soccer ball, and I've been jogging with it for two weeks straight without losing interest because I listen to good music.

Interesting thing about this "Interact" site.  I've got many old MP3s I've been listening to on MJ8 while trying to put them in just the right Playlist -- I'm sure it is a pasttime enjoyed by many around here -- and I focus so much on interesting posts that I forget what I've listened to.  Then I have to listen again.

PS: No Nutter Butters, so I've raided the kids' Nilla Wafers tonight.  How I'll explain this to them tomorrow, I have no idea.

john

Steve

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2002, 05:33:07 am »

Squirrels. Those darn squirrels love Nilla Wafers.

Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2002, 09:31:07 pm »

Steve -

Apart from the problems you have already identified the plug in for the MPIO DMK appears to work fine.  Great job!  Thanks.

Robert

markctpr

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2002, 05:41:11 am »

I've tried this with MJ v8.320  and get a crash (C|PLS||PLS| runtime library error) at the beginning of each transfer and no files appear on the MPIO.  

Any ideas?

markctpr

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2002, 09:07:55 am »

I player around with this some more and discovered the following:

1.   You can connect to the MPIO and display files that are already there.

2.   You can delete existing files

3.   You can format the memory.

4.   When transferring files to the MPIO, MJ thinks is looking for a handheld path called "MPIO\INETRAL MEMORY\" vs. "MPIO\INTERNAL MEMORY".  Very strange.

Any help would be much appreciated...  I can be contacted directly at markc@review.com.

MJC

Clearly, the connection

Steve

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2002, 05:53:57 am »

markctpr,

I think I figured this out. My guess is you were transferring files by right-clicking and doing "Send to". There was an error witht the path that I have corrected. If you ge the latest Plug-in I think you will be all set. FYI, you can also drag and drop files directly onto the memory (i.e. "INTERNAL MEMORY) if you prefer.

Thanks for reporting this.

Steve

markctpr

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 04:45:31 pm »

Thanks Steve---this version is almost perfect.   The music transfers just fine now which was my real problem.   But, whenever I turn off the MP3 player or disconnect it, MJ crashes with a run-time error.

Obviously, this is a small problem but I thought you might want to take a look.  MJ is so polished you'd probably want to fix this.

MJC

Steve

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2002, 05:51:47 am »

markctpr,

Thanks for letting me know about the disconnect issue. I assume your problem occurs when you disconnect the player and then subsequently try to access the player from some branch of the "MPIO" node in the tree. If you are getting a random crash without doing this, please let me know because this changes how I fix this. I have not been able to duplicate this random crash scenario, so if this is what is going on, please confirm for me what Operating System you have.

If I am correct in my assumption, then the problem is one that I also have with MPIO's software. They do not provide a way to retrieve information from the Device that notifies us of the fact that it has been disconnected. I will contact them and ask to have it put on the list of things for them to improve in the next version and if they fix it, I will improve it in a later version of the Plug-in.

Thanks,
Steve

markctpr

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2002, 06:33:14 am »

Sorry to take so long getting back to you...

I get the crash when accessing just about anything on the tree after disconnecting the player.  Oddly, it does not always happen the first time I access the tree.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon about that being the only problem with the plug-in.  Sometimes MJ seems to tranfer music properly to the player but the player does not always recognize that the music has been transferred.  It seems to happen MOST often when MJ is used to either format the memory in the player OR when MJ is used to put the first song on the player.  This behavior does not happen when using the MPIO software to transfer music.  Boo.

MJC

Steve

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2002, 01:51:18 pm »

Markctpr,

I think that if you are experiencing trouble with the tree after the player is disconnected, it probably is because you are moving files around and pass over the node of the tree that is for the MPIO. This would explain the crash because as you pass over the MPIO node, MJ tries to communicate with the player that is no longer there. Tomorrow I will try to clean this up, but it may not be possible with what I have to work with from MPIO.

In regards to the file transfer problem, what kind of files are you transferring ( mp3?, what size?)?  Could you send me one that fails at steve @ jriver.com? Or, are you saying that the failure is not file specific(i.e. one file may succeed one time and fail another) but is more random?

I will troubleshoot this tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2002, 07:15:17 am »

Markctpr,

I just posted a new MPIO Plug-in (v3.0.3) that should improve the player disconnect problem you reported.  In regards to the files not appearing, I cannot duplicate this. I formatted my memory and then copied three files to the MPIO 3 times and each time they transferred and played successfully. I am running Win2000. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the player in between some of the transfers, but that didn't seem to matter. What O/S do you have?  Can you isolate some files that seem to fail more than others for me to try.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up