INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picture Settings  (Read 1126 times)

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
Picture Settings
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:22:58 am »

It seems the vast majority of my pictures are being viewed with over exposure.  I did all my adjustments on my upstairs computer with a calibrated monitor.  They are raw & jpeg.  I've got the optimized view settings checked but also wanted to know if there was a way to tone down the overall exposure or brightness level of the pictures just when viewed on mc.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Picture Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »

I don't like the Optimized View Setting.  It seems to do an Auto-Color type of adjustment, and I'm not a big fan.  Try turning it off.

Also... I'm not sure if MC honors or ignores built-in Color Profiles.  If you did your adjustments using a pro application like Aperture, Lightroom, or Photoshop, you might be seeing bad colors because MC is displaying the images in a different color space than what you were working in when you did the adjustments (and perhaps ignoring the profiles).  Color space conversion can have a dramatic impact on image appearance.

Lastly, any adjustments you do on RAW photos are NOT applied to the images themselves, because a RAW image is ALWAYS exactly the raw data off of the image sensor, by definition.  Any adjustments you do on RAW images in any application, or any adjustments you do in a "database style app" like Lightroom, aren't applied to the actual image file on disk, but are applied on-the-fly by the application as you look at or print the image.  To apply them permanently, you'd need to export out a new file (like a TIFF or high-quality JPEG).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jroyale

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Picture Settings
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:40:38 pm »

Thanks I used lightroom so I'm wondering if and how to change the color space mc is using.  They were exported as jpeg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up